** rjkoneill's Keyboard Guide **

Soldato
Great guide :)

Would half height keys be worthy of another spot in it though? I went full size a few weeks ago and found my self back on a half height setup within a day (arctosa then lycosa for the backlight).

After using half height keys for so long, full size just didn't feel right to me.

Soldato
One point that confused me, you cite the MX Black as 'ideal' for gamers because of the stronger spring, which is presumably what results in the 60g actuation force requirement, yet go on to state that the MX Blue isn't favoured by gamers because it has a relatively high actuation force of 50g, but this is less than the Black?

Associate
Do you know any physical shops that stock mechanical keyboards? I would love to try before I buy.

CM Storm QuickFire Rapids are probably some of the cheaper keyboards on the market at the moment (if you don't mind 80% boards), that or checking out eBay for some second hand deals.

One point that confused me, you cite the MX Black as 'ideal' for gamers because of the stronger spring, which is presumably what results in the 60g actuation force requirement, yet go on to state that the MX Blue isn't favoured by gamers because it has a relatively high actuation force of 50g, but this is less than the Black?

The blue switches are tactile i.e. non-linear meaning they have a very audible click, which signifies when the key actuates, whereas with the blacks, there is only a noise when the switches bottom out.

Soldato
The blue switches are tactile i.e. non-linear meaning they have a very audible click, which signifies when the key actuates, whereas with the blacks, there is only a noise when the switches bottom out.

That doesn't explain the comment about gamers liking the strong springs in one but apparently not liking the other because the springs are too strong even though they're not as strong. I understand the difference between the tactile and non-tactile but those weren't the reason given for the like/dislike.

Soldato
Just received a Coolermaster Quickfire TK with brown switches.

Have to say I bought it on impulse and haven't used a mechanical keyboard before, however the brown switches seem excellent.

They don't require a massive amount of force to press, the tactile feedback is faint but useful, they do make a lot more noise than the non mechanical keyboards I've had in the past, so if you do a lot of typing with people in the room, or next room, prepare for feedback.

That said, few niggles about the Quickfire TK. It's a UK layout, but for some odd reason the keys still have a few odd character, so for example the E key has both E and É same applies for A, U, O.

The backlighting is good and strong, can have multiple modes and brightness levels. The integration of the cursor arrows with the numpad is handy to reduce overall size and the weight of the keyboard makes it very stable.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
The main point is that a blue switch only required actuation force half way down a key press. The black requires constant force for the duration of the key stroke. It depends, entirely what you want. I see tactile switches as more of a typist orientated switch. Linear switches to me are more suited for gaming.

The main problem with the four cherry switches is that people will find certain switches better for them. I like reds the best but I know a lot of people prefer other switches for the same thing I use my boards for.

The comparison for the extra force was comparing them more to brown switches in that I was comparing linear to linear and tactile to tactile.

Soldato
I have tried the mecha Keyboards, I prefer my G19 tbh.
Also i cant game without that little lcd telling me a bunch of stuff :p

Associate
That doesn't explain the comment about gamers liking the strong springs in one but apparently not liking the other because the springs are too strong even though they're not as strong. I understand the difference between the tactile and non-tactile but those weren't the reason given for the like/dislike.

My apologies, I wrote that post in a rush, but it looks like rjkoneil has saved the day and covered it for me with the quote below.

The main point is that a blue switch only required actuation force half way down a key press. The black requires constant force for the duration of the key stroke. It depends, entirely what you want. I see tactile switches as more of a typist orientated switch. Linear switches to me are more suited for gaming.

The main problem with the four cherry switches is that people will find certain switches better for them. I like reds the best but I know a lot of people prefer other switches for the same thing I use my boards for.

The comparison for the extra force was comparing them more to brown switches in that I was comparing linear to linear and tactile to tactile.

Well said!

I have tried the mecha Keyboards, I prefer my G19 tbh.
Also i cant game without that little lcd telling me a bunch of stuff :p

It's interesting that we haven't seen any mechanical keyboards with an LCD screen yet (that I can recall). The nearest one is the Mad Catz Strike 7, which has a touch screen, but it does have rubber dome switches, that feel very similar to MX Browns. I's still waiting for the day you can get a decent mech keyboard for sub £50, then they'll become mainstream!

Caporegime
I have Reds and also find them noisy to type on. I used to use Teamspeak on voice activated but have had to move to Push to Talk as everyone could hear me typing due to the noise. As said above, prepare for feedback!

Soldato
First of all great guide :)

Secondly the scissor switch Logitech keyboard. Can you get it in stock?

It looks gorgeous and if it functions anything like my laptop keyboard it will be perfect for me :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey Rich, as the was no mention of ALPS keys I thought id post this in case you wanted to use it or anything.

ALPS keys are a type of mechanical keyboard switch that was in direct competition with Cherry MX (think Coke vs Pepsi), although not as widely used anymore they can still be found in old Dell and Apple mechanical keyboards and like Cherry MX are widely copied in Chinese gaming boards.

t48t.jpg

White ALPS are basically the same as Cherry MX Blues (tactile and clicky), Black ALPS are like MX browns (tactile, but non-clicky), and they are once again growing popularity like Cherry keys due to the rise in popularity of "gaming" keyboards (plus they are easier to make decent copies of than Cherrys so the is a growing amount of ALPS boards coming out of China) and companies like Ducky, Matias, DSI have recently launched ALPS boards in addition to their Cherry line-up.

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
they wont be that much at all.

im trying to get costing set so that we can be the most competitive in the uk

Back
Top Bottom