Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Forgot to mention this - the Mrs used to have an old Decathlon kids road bike for commuting to work on that I've stripped all the usable bits off to put on a new commuter for her (pics to follow when it's finished). The thing was tiny, she's only 5'2" and it was probably a bit small for her just to give you an idea.

With everything taken off it, the base frameset weighed 3.2kg. :o Must have been made of lead. Add on the 5kg worth of wheels it was packaged with and the thing came in at around 12kg altogether. If you were a kid riding that up a hill it would have put you off cycling for life!

Permabanned
Should be getting my new bike tomorrow!!! Can't wait, not sure where I'm going to ride just yet but it will probably only be from home to work and back again to see how long it takes commuting.

May add some more miles in once I'm back though. :)

Caporegime
[Damien];23980295 said:
Edit2: The new date for the Cat is the 7th July. I'm sure I'll be loads lighter by then and the warmer weather will be better for my ashtma so I'm happy with that.

7th July? I'm planning on doing the 90 mile Liverpool to Chester for charity that day... I can just about negotiate with the Mrs for one Sunday ride a year and that's what I've got planned for this year.

Associate
7th July? I'm planning on doing the 90 mile Liverpool to Chester for charity that day... I can just about negotiate with the Mrs for one Sunday ride a year and that's what I've got planned for this year.

I reckon the Cat will get moved again tbh. It clashes with a few other sportives. I'll look into that 90 mile liverpool one if you fancy some company, assuming the Cat does get moved.

Soldato
As a reward for losing weight I'm thinking of treating myself to a new set of wheels to replace the stock Planet X A57 wheels. Nothing wrong with them really but I might keep them just for winter as they've done nearly 1000 miles and just get something better/lighter for Spring & Summer.

I've been looking at wheels around £200.

The Planet X AL30s seem to get great reviews for the money. Shimano Ultegra 6700s can be had for £230, anyone know what these are like? Also, Merlin currently have Fulcrum 5s for £162.

Question is which? Or can anyone recommend any others (Mavic etc) that would be improvement on what I have already?

The colour needs to be black or white really, preferably black. Silver wouldn't look right on my bike.

Soldato
The Ultegras are a superb wheelset for the price.

I don't think either the the AL30's or F5's would be a particularly noticeable 'upgrade' on your current wheelset. I've read a lot of people having to change the bearings in AL30's after only a few months of use & F5's are marginally lighter than the F7's but a good price at £168.49 (Merlin charge + £6.5 shipping on some items).

Caporegime
Apparently they've fixed the al30s now, but I'd still be cautious. Rs30s would be another choice at £130ish, but that's well below your budget. Rs80s?

I'll be putting on my hand built eBay wheels this evening so can let you know what I make of them in the coming days.

Soldato
Guys, as mentioned a few pages back I recently got a turbo (one of these http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_223837_langId_-1_categoryId_229901 ) and I've just had my ant+ stick turn up, so went to set it all up and was trying to figure out which turbo I had from the list as there was the Elite Volare Min, Max and then various Elite Mag, just wondering which to go for to get as accurate as possible figures from my turbo?

Soldato
Guys, as mentioned a few pages back I recently got a turbo (one of these http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_223837_langId_-1_categoryId_229901 ) and I've just had my ant+ stick turn up, so went to set it all up and was trying to figure out which turbo I had from the list as there was the Elite Volare Min, Max and then various Elite Mag, just wondering which to go for to get as accurate as possible figures from my turbo?

the halfords pic has a volare on it.. so i guess that?! :D

Soldato
Caporegime
New wheels!

8rvhOX0.jpg
VnVJl4w.jpg

These are the wheels I got from ebay. Mavic Open Sport rim on a Tiagra hub. The pic on ebay showed a black rim, but these are silver. Still, they look OK. They've replaced the stock wheels on my Carrera TdF. Between the two of them, and the different tyres, I've saved 700g, which isn't bad going, particularly if a decent chunk of what's left is at the hub rather than the rim. Besides, I'll need a set of wheels for my new bike next year...

I had real difficulty getting the cassette off the old wheels. In the end I went and asked my neighbour for help. I held the chain whip and he hit the lockring tool with a mallet a few times and it eventually came loose! Once that was done I managed the rest fine. I gave the cassette a good clean once I had it off, and took the chain off and cleaned that as well, and installed a split link to get it back on.

I've ridden the bike up and down the road, and it seems OK so far. If nothing else, shifting is a lot better, so maybe the clean did it some good! I'll take it out for a decent ride tomorrow night, assuming we don't get hit with an ice age between now and then.

Oh, and I managed to lose the magnet for my computer. Bum. I'll have to pick one up from Evans or something.

Last edited:
Soldato
Boo Hiss.

I wan't to see pics of Royce hubs, what's taking so long?

Just for you:

E7C88541-758A-404A-9903-DFBA0076FEA0-1239-000000A927E9120A_zps2119b1c3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom