1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Cycling Essentials

Discussion in 'SA Archive' started by Matutu, 28 Jun 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willems

Wise Guy

which cosmics did you get for your rose? and what are they like?

2. grudas

Capodecina

mudguard clearance.. even with 23mm tyres everything is like 1mm away.. and 23's were in stock while 25's were not. i really had no preference for size simply went with what i had before and thats about it :)

i was happy with original 23c and these are quite good too, haven't found the breaking point on them yet.. but they do feel more grippy compared to my original b'twin tyres.

3. Shamrock

Soldato

They are low end Cosmic Carbone SL. Despite the name there isn't any carbon in them.

They look nice (if deep rims are your thing), sound nice and feel very fast on the flat or descending. Accelerating from a standing start and climbing they feel a bit heavy and they aren't really that light at just under 1800g before skewers/tyres/tubes.

When they wear out I'd probably replace them with a shallow climbing rim or perhaps a 38mm aero rim. I'm not sure I benefit from 52mm rims in terms of performance and I've **** myself a few times when a crosswind has almost blown me over.

4. touch

Capodecina

Its an aluminium alloy rim with a carbon fairing.

5. Shamrock

Soldato

Ok then :p

But the weave effect on the rim is fake isn't it?

6. [Damien]

Wise Guy

Ah, forget what I said then :)

7. eXist

Wise Guy

no, it ll deform slightly if pressed in with your finger

8. willems

Wise Guy

thanks. crosswinds would be an issue for me as i dont weigh much. think maybe some elites might be better or maybe some handbuilts

9. grudas

Capodecina

my next bike will be a CX, i ride all year round and i need a bike that can at least take 28c + mudguards.. triban is good but jesus.. even now the back is touching a little.. :o

10. platypus

Caporegime

Yes.

11. Shamrock

Soldato

Wheelsmith Race23s look to be a good value/quality handbuilt that rivals Ksyrium Elites.

12. touch

Capodecina

Not really.
    Most of time when you see something in bare carbon, the top layer is more of a thin cosmetic layer rather than anything structural.
    This is what a real bare carbon frame looks like.
    This is what carbon with a cosmetic wrap looks like.

So, yes, the weave effect on cosmics is real carbon but possibly more cosmetic than structural.

13. Saundie

Mobster

That's good enough for me. I'll tell them that I'm in. It'll be an interesting first trip outside of the UK. I shall have to start training!

14. willems

Wise Guy

thanks. i'll have a look

15. Shamrock

Soldato

My frame is bare carbon. I just didn't know the Carbones had any carbon in, I feel better knowing it's not fake.:D

They are still heavy though.:(

16. InQ

Wise Guy

On the subject of wheels i emailed Derek @ Wheelsmith about the carbon wheels he does, i was considering some chinese sourced rims but i'm thinking of going this way now (i seem to forever change my mind!)
    Dont know whether to go tubular or stick to clincher but i think i will be going for Gigantex 50mm with his Wheelsmith 295g hubs and Sapim CXRay.
    The tubs are 23mm wide and ~1260g and in the clincher they are 24mm wide and ~1440g (Campag Shamal weight/price but 50mm!).
    Had considered the Carbones SL but for the same money you might as well go save 300g+ if going clincher.

If i'm being honest i'm probably thinking of sticking with what i know which is clincher, 180g isnt massive and they are Shamal weight so will be good going up hills still!

17. WriteThatD0wn

Gangster

Not sure if there are to many south coast folk on here, but I have just had an email to say the south downs sportive scheduled for Saturday has been postponed until the 18th May.

Being indoors is not doing my wallet any good as all I'm doing is sitting on the internet looking at things to buy.

I'm probably going to apply rule 5 and go out for a ride anyway.

When will this weather end!

18. grudas

Capodecina

what weather? rain snow cold? if rain, cold, wind.. then man up and do it ;):D

19. Lead_Head

Mobster

I wasn't charged the extra for mine.

20. [DOD]Asprilla

Capodecina

Second hand Royce hub set turned up today. Spotless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.