Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
My sportive (Hetheresett 30/60) is in doubt to for sunday, i think its the snow on saturday combined with 40mph winds and a feels like -9 that are going to stop it happening tbh - shame as i have the day off work and i am looking forward to it :(

Soldato
I know everyone would just say MTFU but when it gets to significantly below freezing and gale force winds then it's time to stay indoors for your own safety as much as anything.

Aye when it gets icy on the roads with gales I'm staying indoors and going spinning. Don't fancy throwing myself under a car for Rule 5.

Soldato
I agree, i have also ridden the course and there are loads of places where snow would not have melted and likely icy places - tbh i think they need to call it off now and get the new date going. It looks like they are fingers crossed that the weather forecasts are all wrong but they have said will announce on sat night if its on or not - seems a little late for me but i guess with all the work that has gone in they are desperate for it to go ahead.

Soldato
[Damien];23986353 said:
It's a shame it's not this windy, but dry. If I was more deviously inclined I'd be making a point to do a route of all westerly facing segments... :p

If the snow isn't bad around Glasgow I'm tempted to head out on Sunday morning and ride 40 or 50 to the west coast and get the train back. Just to experience new roads of course, nothing to do with wind direction :p

Soldato
Guys, had a bit of an accident with my cycling jacket today so need a new one, I was only using a DHB minima s and liked the fairly lightweight but waterproof design, but wouldn't mind something that could be packed a bit smaller with the same functionality, and perhaps a longer back for spray, anyone got any suggestions?

Soldato
so my rear mudguard is gone too! due to some stupid 'itch.. jesus people WAKE UP.

cycling at maybe 5-6mph to a red light.. bam a pedestrian walks into road without looking and she shoves a flippin umbrella into my spokes which broke my mudguard! she pulled it off said sorry and quickly ran off i couldn't even get of my bike to see the damage!!! grrr.. what is it with people :( how are they alive..

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys, had a bit of an accident with my cycling jacket today so need a new one, I was only using a DHB minima s and liked the fairly lightweight but waterproof design, but wouldn't mind something that could be packed a bit smaller with the same functionality, and perhaps a longer back for spray, anyone got any suggestions?

Got a budget? If it's about the same as the dhb then how about:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hincapie/pocket-shell-ii-jacket-ec040995
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/castelli/squadra-long-jacket-ec027333
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/castelli/leggero-jacket-ec033729

so my rear mudguard is gone too! due to some stupid 'itch.. jesus people WAKE UP.

cycling at maybe 5-6mph to a red light.. bam a pedestrian walks into road without looking and she shoves a flippin umbrella into my spoked which broke my mudguard! she pulled it off said sorry and quickly ran off i couldn't even get of my bike to see the damage!!! grrr.. what it is with people :( how are they alive..

Bloody peds; bane of my life.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
looking sweet!! :cool:

what was the cost all in if you dont mind me asking?

No problem! The price I paid will be less than what it would cost you due to living in a VAT free area (I've also got "Platinum" discount on Wiggle too which gives me 12% off list price).

Rims, 50mm Carbon Tubular (eBay) - £173.00
Front Hub (Hope Pro3 Mono 24h - Winstanley Bikes) - £40.00 (+ £6.50 postage :eek:)
Rear Hub (Hope Pro3 Mono 28h)- £111.65
DT Swiss Competition Spokes (3 pack, 18 spokes per pack - Chain Reaction Cycles) - £31.44
LifeLine Carbon Brake Pads - £6.93
Continental Grand Prix 4000 Tubulars - £51.81 ea (£103.62)
Fast Forward 40mm Valve Extensions - £6.16
Continental Carbon Cement - £3.07 ea (£6.14)
Ultegra 11-23 Cassette - £39.37

Total £524.81 ready to roll!

Soldato
I rode the short route of next months sportif. I did it last year before I was cycling more regularly. It's 70km with a long climb to start and a short cat4. 650m approx total.

I went approximately 5 minutes faster solo, first 22km into a headwind but this gave me a little boost home. It started to hurt a bit after 50km, I normally do 35-45km in an evening so this was more than the norm. The hill I remember being a struggle I rode up without really noticing. I have been riding more categorised climbs to toughen up so obviously feeling the benefit.

I would like to do the 110km which is the long route but it has a lot more climbing inc a CAT3 after 90km. I can ride it after 20-30km in the legs but after such a distance and 2-3 CAT4 climbs I'm not so sure. Guess it would depend if I could ride in a bunch until that point and save some energy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom