Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Forecast for tomorrow has improved slightly. Instead of feeling like -7 it's going to feel like -5! woop!

I'm thinking 3 pairs of gloves, 3 pairs of socks, shoe toe covers, over socks and over shoes + plenty of cake and I might just about make it?! Worst case is I can always change to shorter route at the 60mile mark and do the 73 miles loop instead.

Soldato
today's ride for me, joy! At least my tacx lets me ride my local route, albeit virtually -_-

5B9BF6FD-2063-4E88-8CBA-FABA8D63C262-292-0000002CF5312AA3_zps9c20e6b7.jpg

Associate
Bit more than the dhb this time, thanks for the links, like the look of the hincapie one.

I can vouch for the Castelli Squadra. Picked one up at a similar price on Wiggle at the end of August and worn it right through the winter. Light and packs away small, but a decent amount of waterproofing and ok to keep the worst of the chill off on really cold days or longer descents too.

As usual with Castelli, the fit is neat. I picked it up in medium and it's a good (if tight) fit - i'm 175cm tall, chest around 90 cm and weigh around 66kg for reference.

Soldato
so new mudguard time.. :| what to get this time! cba with crud's again.. they did hold up for 2k miles but if someone sticks an umbrella in my spokes again ill have to buy another set! what do you lot run? :)

Soldato
I just use a £10 ass saver and dress appropriately if it's going to be a wet one.

If it's properly raining mudguards ain't gonna save you so better to spend the money on waterproof gear IMO.

Before anyone mentions courtesy to other riders, I still get sprayed in the face by plenty of mudguard users! Best thing to do is overtake them.:p

Soldato
I just use a £10 ass saver and dress appropriately if it's going to be a wet one.

If it's properly raining mudguards ain't gonna save you so better to spend the money on waterproof gear IMO.

Before anyone mentions courtesy to other riders, I still get sprayed in the face by plenty of mudguard users! Best thing to do is overtake them.:p

i guess you're right but then i need overshoes, waterproof trousers/shorts, jacket.. which will cost more than a set of guards that will keep my arse and feet dry-ish(as long as the cruds were wate still managed to get on my trainers)

I've both cruds and sks raceblades long and prefer the raceblades, easy to put on when its raining and remove again which I like.

ill need them to sit there permanently, i looked at raceblades long and i quite like them but they take the "sporty" look away off my bike and thats something i can't stand.. im really ocd about the way my bike/stuff looks :o

i guess getting a set and only using the rear one(managed to live without front for ~2months fine) is a good idea.. are you using the raceblades long or the ones that only protect your arse ?

Caporegime
If you want mudguards, then just deal with it and get SKS raceblades or chromoplastics. Yes, they look like the mudguards on your grandma's shopper, but you know what? They work, and they aren't going anywhere. Besides, as said before, the consensus on the Triban 3 forums the last time I looked was that raceblade longs were the best bet.

Soldato
No matter how good wet weather clothes are there not as good as normal gear if its not raining. So often morning rides are wet without it actually raining so mudguard stop me plus bike getting covered in crap off the road.

Used to hate them but can't go without them now, even with dangerous levels of toe-overlap :D

Soldato

Not sure about that, mudguards will make a huge difference to how wet your feet, legs and back get. You can't underestimate the difference having a proper front guard in particular makes.

Soldato
Of course what works for me may not work for others.:)

I've commuted by bike every day this winter regardless of conditions and been fine without full guards. I expect a lot of people chicken out and don't ride if it's properly chucking it down!

Soldato

So let me get this straight. You are recommending people spend money on quality clothing that would probably cost into hundreds of pounds instead of a pair of £25 mudguards?

Yep...thats funny. :D

Its not about courtesy its about not being covered in crap, wet and freezing cold 5 minutes before starting work.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want mudguards, then just deal with it and get SKS raceblades or chromoplastics. Yes, they look like the mudguards on your grandma's shopper, but you know what? They work, and they aren't going anywhere. Besides, as said before, the consensus on the Triban 3 forums the last time I looked was that raceblade longs were the best bet.

yeah they do look alright.. the ones in the ribble picture above look quite good actually! 20quid too.. might have to get them and see how my triban likes them.

Think of it as an investment. Wet weather specific clothing that you will use for years only in wet conditions or fugly mudguards that will always be there looking fugly and vulnerable to attack by rogue, umbrella carrying lemmings!

that just feels like a waste :( 100+ for clothes and i would be wet and dirty.. imagine putting clothes on when i go for short trips to shops?! :o mudguards look like a better option here tbh

Soldato
Getting ready for an Audax in feels like -6c temps and gale force winds outside at 0630 on a Sunday morning. Must be crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom