Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24215307 said:
I tend to find Merlin do the cheapest groups in the UK.

Actually that's not true; Shiny Bikes are the cheapest but they are also a bunch of lying thieving *****, in my personal opinion of course.

I prefer Wiggle so I normally get them to price match :D

Soldato
[Damien];24215348 said:
I can see the point of spending more on bibs or whatever because chafing's a bitch and a better pad always helps. I'd expect to be fellated by supermodels before and after each ride if I'd paid £100+ on a jersey though.

I was looking at the base layers which seem quite reasonable, $75-110.

The jerseys are all $160-240 which is insane. I'll buy Castelli or Assos for less instead.

Ribble cycles seemed quite close to Merlin on group set prices.

Soldato
[Damien];24215189 said:
lol, when you can say that Rapha gear is 'ok but pricy' you know you've got too much money. I feel the sting when I spend more than £20 on a top, let alone Rapha's £trollolol prices.

I was looking at the base layers which seem quite reasonable, $75-110.

The jerseys are all $160-240 which is insane. I'll buy Castelli or Assos for less instead.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I started cheap then tried a few higher quality/priced items and some really are worth the extra. Being comfortable on a bike when you spend hours in the saddle several times a week is worth paying a bit extra for imo.

Soldato
If I had the money I'd definitely be buying Rapha gear. Most of their stuff looks, and by all accounts feels, fantastic. Sadly at the moment I don't, so second hand tops off ebay are where I tend to shop. Much nicer looking vintage tops for under a tenner compared to the gaudy replica team tops, and a bit more interesting than budget sports shop stuff. Also if you shop around you can often find nice little extras like pre-staining and pre-sweatmarking.

Caporegime

That article is pure balls. He starts out moaning about cities being for "serious drinking" then decides to moan about Scotland's real health issues, of which drinking is surely one, and winds up moaning about how some people are too poor to afford food, let alone a bike. I'm not sure what point he's actually trying to make. And yeah, the hyperbole is ridiculous.

Soldato
That article is pure balls. He starts out moaning about cities being for "serious drinking" then decides to moan about Scotland's real health issues, of which drinking is surely one, and winds up moaning about how some people are too poor to afford food, let alone a bike. I'm not sure what point he's actually trying to make. And yeah, the hyperbole is ridiculous.

He must have been drunk. It's total nonsense.

Soldato
nice, i've done around 1.2k on my r501's since replacing my original b'twin which failed after 1.4k miles..

look online at rosebikes if you haven't bought the new ones yet! they normally have some nice offers
I'm just curious, but what's the difference between the R501 standard rims and 30mm rims? I can see that the 30mm ones are slightly heavier but can't find anything else.

They certainly look better to me over the standard depth rims.

Associate
Aww, I was going to pick up one of those GP4000S tyre/tube multipacks up for the Canyon (not overly impressed with the Durano plus Ive stuck on the CX) but everywhere's sold out. Bloody fair weather cyclists coming out of the woodwork and snapping everything up... :(

Soldato
I'm just curious, but what's the difference between the R501 standard rims and 30mm rims? I can see that the 30mm ones are slightly heavier but can't find anything else.

They certainly look better to me over the standard depth rims.

really no idea, i've got the 30mm ones and tbh they are great for my use! not the lightest but i only paid 69quid for a set :eek::D

Associate
[Damien];24216276 said:
Aww, I was going to pick up one of those GP4000S tyre/tube multipacks up for the Canyon (not overly impressed with the Durano plus Ive stuck on the CX) but everywhere's sold out. Bloody fair weather cyclists coming out of the woodwork and snapping everything up... :(

wiggle seem to have them? or are you looking for a larger size than 23mm?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4000-folding-road-tyres-2-and-tubes/

Just got some at the w/end there and quite impressed so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom