Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Soldato
May be about next weekend, will have to see how I feel, got the week off and after the peak district I'm off to the flatlands of Norfolk and Suffolk for some loooooong rides

Cool. I should be doing some riding next weekend if the weather is good, I'll drop you an email. Second week of June I'm going up to a mate's in Macclesfield to ride around the Peak too!

Soldato
Hi guys, I was going to buy my first road bike at the end of the month (Specialized Allez), but have been offered a 2010 Fuji Team Carbon for £600 - is this a good deal? It is the below bike;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/team-pro-special-edition-2010-road-bike-ec023560#features

Reason for going with the Allez is hopefully although its more entry, if I get into it I don't mind replacing the whole bike sooner than I would if I spend more. Would be buying ~£200 of extras anyway!

There's a near new Allez Sport for £625-50 as well that I am considering, but wanted to get a few thoughts on the Fuji before making my mind up!

I would take the Fuji if its in good nick. Its lighter and the groupset (brakes, shifters, etc) is a million timesbetter. You can't see it in the pictures bit being 2010 I assume they are the 5600 version with the shift cables coming out of the side of the shifters rather than under the bar tape?

Associate
Just ordered the Ribble Steel Reynolds 525 Audax with Campag Veloce groupset and campag khamsin wheels. This will be through my cycle2work scheme. Exciting!

Last edited:
Associate
Not quite what most people in this thread would consider a road bike, but it's replacing a hardtail for me to commute on and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. Ticks all the boxes for me, hydraulic discs, Alfine gears, Gates Carbon Drive and mudguards.

IMAG0237_1_1.jpg

Dave

Soldato
Not quite what most people in this thread would consider a road bike, but it's replacing a hardtail for me to commute on and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. Ticks all the boxes for me, hydraulic discs, Alfine gears, Gates Carbon Drive and mudguards.
Dave

Looks good.
I'd like a belt drive commuter. cant find any cheap old frames for it on ebay though. suppose i could get a normal frame and take the angle grinder to it :p

Soldato
How do you find the Alfine hub? And is it the 9 or 11 speed?

I've got the 8 and whilst it's a great idea I find that it's just too heavy and the gaps between gears is too large for anything other than being a town bike / shopper.

I've got the gates carbon drive on my Alfine as well, brilliant piece of kit, but expensive when you snap one. I had to walk 5 miles home last time.

I should just turn mine into a single speed, but I don't think there are many read cog sizes available.

Edit: So that's my next wheel project then. You can get 55, 50 or 46 up front (think I currently have 50) and 30, 28, 26, 24, 22 and 20 sized rear sprockets for a standard 9 spline cassette freewheel (assume it's Shimano) so I'd just need a spacing kit to get the chain line right.

Alfine off and change the Versa shifters to Sram single speed and I could be on to a winner.....

Last edited:
Soldato
Just been looking around and I see TRP have launched the Hylex; single speed drop brake levers with hydraulic discs. No work on availability yet, but I have a funny feeling that I'm going to have winter and summer single speeds available....

I love planning building bikes.

Soldato
I'm really tempted to turn my Hybrid into more of a cyclocross but at the same time I don't know whether it's worth it.

Here's the hybrid I have

http://www.bike-zone.co.uk/product_images/10-ridgeback-flight-02-disc-m.jpg *No hotlinking!*

Spec in Spoiler
Frame: 6061 Double Butted Heat treated Aluminium
Fork: Aluminium
Front Derailleur: Shimano
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra GS
Number of Gears: 18
Shifters: Shimano SL-R440
Chainset: Truvativ Touro 2.1 compact double
Bottom Bracket: Shimano External
Cassette: Shimano Cassette 11-25, 9 speed
Chain: Shimano HG53
Brakes: Shimano M486 hydraulic disc
Rims: Alex DH19
Hubs: Shimano RM65
Front Tyre:b Continental Contact 700 × 28c
Rear Tyre: Continental Contact 700 × 28c
Saddle: Charge Spoon

I've already flipped and slammed the stem, so it's very aggressive.
It's already geared well (Compact cranks with 11-25 cassette 9 speed)
It's got plenty of room for big tyres.
It's got mud guard mounts (although I use SKS Race Blades which attach to the stays with bands)

It would just be a case of putting drop bars on it but the main issue is that the discs are hydraulic and there isn't a cheap way to keep them, it's either change them to cable discs or buy a cable to hydraulic box.

My next bike will most likely be an On-One dirty Disco if I don't change this on the cheap.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm really tempted to turn my Hybrid into more of a cyclocross but at the same time I don't know whether it's worth it.

Here's the hybrid I have

Spec in Spoiler
Frame:

6061 Double Butted Heat treated Aluminium
Fork:

Aluminium
Front Derailleur:

Shimano
Rear Derailleur:

Shimano Tiagra GS
Number of Gears:

Shifters:

Shimano SL-R440
Chainset:

Truvativ Touro 2.1 compact double
Bottom Bracket:

Shimano External
Cassette:

Shimano Cassette 11-25, 9 speed
Chain:

Shimano HG53
Pedals:

Road with clips and straps
Front Brake:

Shimano M486 hydraulic disc
Rear Brake:

Brake Levers:

Handlebars:

6061 Aluminium 540mm
Stem:

Alloy Ahead SL
Headset:

Sealed Intellaset with alloy spacer
Grips:

Triple Density
Rims:

Alex DH19
Front Hub:

Shimano RM65
Rear Hub:

Shimano RM65
Spokes:

Stainless steel black
Front Tyre:

Continental Contact 700 × 28c
Rear Tyre:

Continental Contact 700 × 28c
Saddle:

Flight SL
Seatpost:

SL Aluminium 27.2mm
Weight:

Approx. 25.06lbs (11.37kg) for the 60cm Size. (PLEASE NOTE: Weight is approximate and is provided by Evans Cycles as a guide only, actual weight may vary due to manufacturing processes and other factors)

I've already flipped and slammed the stem, so it's very aggressive.
It's already geared well (Compact cranks with 12-28 cassette but only 8 speed)
It's got plenty of room for big tyres.
It's got mud guard mounts (although I use SKS Race Blades which attach to the stays with bands)

It would just be a case of putting drop bars on it but the main issue is that the discs are hydraulic and there isn't a cheap way to keep them, it's either change them to cable discs or buy a cable to hydraulic box.

My next bike will most likely be an On-One dirty Disco if I don't change this on the cheap.

stick some bull horn bars on it and it'll be good tbh.. thats all i would do to it :) not worth messing around with brakes etc if you want another bike already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom