Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Are headsets easy to fit? Done everything else bar this, wondering to invest in the tools or not. My commuter badly needs a new one

Depends what type of headset.
Integrated headsets usually just sit in a recess in the head tube and dont need any special tools at all.
Old-style headsets need to be pressed into the headtube. You can get a proper headset press to do this, i'v always just used a block of wood and a hammer. As long as your careful at the start and get it going in straight it'll be fine.

Soldato
Depends what type of headset.
Integrated headsets usually just sit in a recess in the head tube and dont need any special tools at all.
Old-style headsets need to be pressed into the headtube. You can get a proper headset press to do this, i'v always just used a block of wood and a hammer. As long as your careful at the start and get it going in straight it'll be fine.

A star-nut tool also makes it a lot easier to get the star-nut properly aligned. Saves a lot of time getting it right first time.

I've tried using the ghetto headset press made from a threaded bar and some big washers but I've never got it to work.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24653663 said:
I've tried using the ghetto headset press made from a threaded bar and some big washers but I've never got it to work.

Yep, i'v tried that also and found the block of wood + hammer method to be much better.
I usually go for a long block of wood (4ft+) as it's easier to keep it flat when you hammer it.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24653663 said:

I managed to get it to work after many attempts. Such a pain! I had to take the bike to the lbs to get them to remove the old cups though.

I think ill get the proper tool to remove them for next time.

Caporegime
Managed to get out for a bit over 20 miles this evening. The weather said it was going to bucket down, but I took my raincoat so of course it didn't. I tried to do a cat 2 climb, but I stopped quarter of a mile too short, which is irritating. I was already a mile beyond a sign that said no cycling anyway, and I'd got pretty close to the Winter Hill TV mast and wasn't sure about going any closer. The last bit wasn't even uphill, so I think for all intents and purposes I've done a cat 2, but Strava doesn't have a segment to the point I stopped at. To be honest it was boring once I got to the trespassy bit - nothing to see and a terrible road surface.

My speedo is broken. It's a wired one and one of the wires has come out at the handlebar mount. I can fix it if I solder it back in place and glue the housing up again. DIY project...

Soldato
Anybody had a look at the classic segments on strava yet? Looks like a great way to plan your next holiday :p A list of the best climbs around.

I'v ridden 3 of the segments (Coll De Soller - Mallorca, Hardknott - Lakes, Bealach Na Ba - North west Scotland). They are all very different climbs but they are all great to ride up. Definitely worth a visit for anybody nearby.
In fact, this has inspired me to go and ride the Bealach Na Ba again. It's only 60 miles from my house and it's been a couple of years since i last did it. I think i'll pop over this weekend and see if i can bag another KOM :p

Caporegime
Anybody had a look at the classic segments on strava yet? Looks like a great way to plan your next holiday :p A list of the best climbs around.

I'v ridden 3 of the segments (Coll De Soller - Mallorca, Hardknott - Lakes, Bealach Na Ba - North west Scotland). They are all very different climbs but they are all great to ride up. Definitely worth a visit for anybody nearby.
In fact, this has inspired me to go and ride the Bealach Na Ba again. It's only 60 miles from my house and it's been a couple of years since i last did it. I think i'll pop over this weekend and see if i can bag another KOM :p

Hmmm, anyone fancy a week in Mallorca hiring bikes?

Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;24653707 said:
Depends. I recommend Hope Pro3 hubs and Shimano 105 depending on budget.

How difficult is it to replace a hub?

Though having said that I'm thinking that the next upgrade for me will be some climbing wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom