Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
First TT. 3rd time I've ridden the course and according to Strava my slowest time :D

Ate late, left late so rushed their, signed on late and got a brutal stitch 7 miles in which forced me to ease right up for last 1.4 miles. Still good fun in a sadistic sort of way? lol. Will make sure I leave with plenty of time next week :p

8.3mi - 21.6mph average. Previous solo time was 22.8mph avg and I stopped twice because of traffic so pretty poor. But I wasn't last :D

e: I was 17th out of 27 so I guess I'm pretty average :D. It was a bit daunting most people were on TT bikes with crazy pointy helmets. Quite a few single speeds too with what looked like 80+ mm rims :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
First TT. 3rd time I've ridden the course and according to Strava my slowest time :D

Ate late, left late so rushed their, signed on late and got a brutal stitch 7 miles in which forced me to ease right up for last 1.4 miles. Still good fun in a sadistic sort of way? lol. Will make sure I leave with plenty of time next week :p

8.3mi - 21.6mph average. Previous solo time was 22.8mph avg and I stopped twice because of traffic so pretty poor. But I wasn't last :D

e: I was 17th out of 27 so I guess I'm pretty average :D. It was a bit daunting most people were on TT bikes with crazy pointy helmets. Quite a few single speeds too with what looked like 80+ mm rims :eek:

Sounds very respectable on a road bike. do you use clip on tri bars?

Soldato
I just ordered some stuff from wiggle and the only delivery option was free/bulky , will I get a tracking number when it's dispatched?
Ordered
£16.19 1 x Ritchey Torque Key with Interchangeable Bits Black
£8.99 1 x Elite Custom Race Resin Cage Stealth Black
£3.83 1 x Science in Sport 800ml Water Bottle
£6.99 1 x Finish Line Dry Teflon Lubricant 120ml Bottle
£2.99 1 x Park Tools TL1C Tyre Levers
£3.99 1 x Continental Quality Road Inner Tube 700x28-37 Tour 28 SL Presta 42mm
£21.99 1 x SKS Chromoplastic Road Mudguard Set 700x38-45 - Hybrid Black

Wiggle recently introduced order tracking even for free orders, so yeah you will get a tracking number once its dispatched. As it's a Royal Mail service it doesn't take long once it has shipped, what you are paying for with paid for delivery service at Wiggle, much like Amazon is for them to process your order and actually dispatch it quicker.

Soldato
Just received some Assos FI.Uno bibs in medium (The same size as my current Assos bibs). They're too big. What!!? GAAA! :mad:

Was looking forward to wearing them on the ride tonight.

The legs of the new bibs are 2cm wider than my current ones. Arr well, I've ordered them in small and ill send the mediums back.

Soldato
Well done on your first TT! Even if it's not your fastest, it's still a respectable speed.

You just need to learn from it and try again next week. Everybody likes to do something different before a race, what they eat, when they eat, how to warm up, etc. It's just trial and error to figure out what works best for you.
The main thing is that keep learning from the things that dont go right and keep trying each week.

Dont be intimidated by the TT bikes and pointy helmets, a time trial is more of a race against yourself rather than against the others there. Most people only want to beat their own time from last week. Fixed gear bikes are fairly common for flat TTs as well. There's no need to carry around a whole set of gears and derailleurs when you'll only use 1 gear for 90% of it. I know a guy who has a fixed gear TT bike which weighs around 6kg (and thats with a solid disc wheel at the back) :eek:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
http://vimeo.com/70921986

Love this, that crank is huge! Giving me mad ideas about having a go.

On separate note. I want to build a cheapish bike for my other half. Where is the best place to get a cheapish alu bare frame or a cheap bike to fix up? I want to do a bit of custom work to make it special and it will help me with bike maintenance.

Also, just realised I never mentioned. 3 weeks ago I somehow hit the back of a parked car on a flat road. My face hit the small spoiler of a Ford Galaxy. Broke my nose and half my top lip and the end of my nose were hanging off plus my pips were pulled away from my gums. I was in hospital for 3 days and had 2 hours of facial surgery. I can't ride for a good while until its all healed up. Still a bit of swelling and a deal of scarring. No damage to any of my gear or my bike which is puzzling (although my bike is a state anyway).

I'm very lucky, could have lost teeth or swallowed my tongue etc. I'm looking very good considering though, a lot of scars will heal completely and be almost invisible. Take care out their guys. ~30mph into a car isn't trivial!

Soldato
Took my cranks off tonight. Cleaned up and regreased them.

Pain that you can't remove the BB30 without damaging it or spending loads on a fancy tool.

Not to know if I've solved it until I ride again, only started after got caught in the rain last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom