Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Tyre choice is a personal thing and you tend to get fewer punctures in the summer; I had my first one last week in 2000 miles but I was plagued with them between December and January.

On my Fixed I now run Schwalbe Duranos which are the daddy of puncture proof road tyres. However, they are appropriately heavy and so you won't set any speed / acceleration records in them.

On the Commuter I've got one Specialized Armardillo (getting on a bit now) and one Michelin Krylion Carbon. Both are pretty grippy and pucture resistant but I prefer the Krylion. The Krylions are a popular choice with cycle messengers.

On the Weekender I've got Continental GP4000S'. Very fast, but very puncture resistant.

Last edited:
Soldato
I always carry 2 spare inner tubes, inflator, levers. (Experience taught me that one!) Only ever carry a bike lock when I am going to do something that requires it out of sight or pop into a shop, otherwise I don't bother.

Padded shorts.
Padded shorts.
Padded shorts.

Seriously the best purchase I EVER made on a bike. I also have cycling glasses, grit hurts ok?

Associate
How about a floor pump with a pressure guage, as I'm sure that running road tyres at a lower than recommended pressure increases the chances of getting punctures?

Soldato
To the people suggesting floor pumps - is there some kind of uber miniature floor pump that fits into a saddle bag that I don't know about? :D I think a hand-pump is a better option for taking out on rides..

Associate
OP
Ok then Guys so far here is the list lol

(Equipment)
Floor Pump
Mobile Pump
Tyre Levers
Saddle Bag
Tubes
Upgrade my Tyres :) (Could someone please link me just an example of a tyre which would be suitable im struggling finding these on websites due to the sizing methods)

Clothing
Bib (again any recomendations?)
Jersey
Padded Shorts (Maybe built in Bib?)
Cycling Shoes
Gloves

I already ware glasses (To see) so thats not an issue, have i missed anything?

Soldato
To the people suggesting floor pumps - is there some kind of uber miniature floor pump that fits into a saddle bag that I don't know about? :D I think a hand-pump is a better option for taking out on rides..
I have 2 pumps, a track pump and a compact pump.
The track pump stays at home and is used every 4-5 rides to keep the pressure right.
The compact pump comes on rides with me and is used when i get a puncture, it is difficult to get the right pressure with the small pump (120psi) so i top it up with the track pump when i get home.

Associate

LOL :) well obviously you leave the floor pump at home, however I used to only have a hand-pump and it's not until recently after using a floor pump with a guage that I realised my tyres were always under inflated which I'm sure leads to increasing the chance of picking up punctures as well as the tyre not performing as well as it should.

Soldato
Tyre size you want is 700x??. Girth is down to peronal preference again and is measured in mm. e.g. Conti gatorskins in 23mm and 25mm.

Get three tyre levers, it just makes life easier. Pedro's do some here that I recommend.

Get bibs shorts with a pad built in. One of the advantages of bib shorts is that they keep the pad in pace better. I wear Alture Progel bibs, Castelli Cervelo 2009 Training bibs and I'd like to try some ShuttVR ones.

If you are going to get shoes with matching clipless pedals then there are loads of different systems available. I use SPDs for commuting because they are cheap and durable and Look Keos for weekends / triathlons because they have a larger cleat.

On the glasses front, I found prescription transition lenses to be a godsend (in my Oakleys :cool: ) since I ride all year; I can start in the dark and not have to change glasss for low winter sun.

Associate
Sorry to be a pain guys but im getting confused with this. I take it our road bikes have inner tubes with tyres over the top correct?

So in a case of a puncture the the external tyre can survive the ride home if you replace the tube?, but if you replace the tyre in the first instance with a Kevlar type the chances of a puncture decrease?

I believe the size of my tyres are 700 x 25mm? Can anyone recommend a good Kevlar Tyre as i would prefer to do this now if it avoid/lowers the chances of punctures.

Thanks guys.

get out they have marshmellows inside.

Associate
OP
Asprilla Wow thanks for that :).

My tyres atm are 700x25mm, and i take it pressure should be about 100psi?

So if i got 2 of those tyres would i also need tubes for them as well? any recommendations on that front?

Yep i already ware transitions and have oakleys as sunnies so im sorted there :D.

Thanks again mate for all your help.

Soldato
As far as inner tubes go I tend to buy whatever is on offer and I buy in bulk, some something like this would be my choice.

They are sized in the same way as tyres, but because they are expandable you'll get the max and min width. You'll want 18-25. The tyres will have a max pressure, but this is max, not target and your tyre should really be deforming a little bit when you ride on it.

Too low a pressure and you will get pinch flats where the tube gets caught between the wheel and tyre. Too high and the tyre won't deform over sharp objects. I run mine at about 110psi, but that's based on my weight, 23mm tyres and a lot of trial and error.

Associate
OP
Awesome thanks a lot buddy :), you have been a star think i know everything i need now :).

Wow isnt clothing expensive a good pair of shorts - jersey - gloves and shoes is coming to around 220 mark :S

Associate
OP
Ah this isnt for work, i work from home lol so that doesnt really help me :). I just do it for fun and some exercise.

BTW do you have any recommendations for Chain Cleaner? and Chain Grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom