Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah. I looked at some of my rides over the weekend and my kcal estimates were all 20-40% lower than Strava :eek: I remember the brief time I used Endomondo it's kcal estimates were laughably high, similar to MFP's dodgy as hell kcal estimates.

I guess it depends how fit you are? lets say an unfit person would need a lot more effort and sweat to cycle 10 miles than lets say someone who does it twice everyday.. so the kcal burn will be different?

but what's the most accurate way to estimate it then? still all possible sensors on your bike and body ? that's the only way I can think off..

Soldato
I guess it depends how fit you are? lets say an unfit person would need a lot more effort and sweat to cycle 10 miles than lets say someone who does it twice everyday.. so the kcal burn will be different?

but what's the most accurate way to estimate it then? still all possible sensors on your bike and body ? that's the only way I can think off..

Calorie burn is all about what your putting into the pedals rather than effort. A power meter will be pretty accurate assuming the rider isn't incredibly inefficient at pedalling

Soldato
I did 40km at an average of 234w.

Strava says approximately 260kcal which sounds about right to me, my figures may be more accurate as I have a power meter though.

I've read about aiming to consume 1g of carbs per hour per kg of body weight, if this was true I'd spend the whole ride eating!

Edit: Grudas your commute gives two figures, energy output in kj of 368 which is 88kcal.

Then underneath it shows calories as 410 which is confusing!

Last edited:
Soldato
260 calories actually seems very low to me for a ride of that distance and relative intensity. I'm not a scientist, but Google throws up the following formula:

energy (kcal) = avg power (W) X duration (hours) X 3.6

Soldato
Edit: Grudas your commute gives two figures, energy output in kj of 368 which is 88kcal.

Then underneath it shows calories as 410 which is confusing!

The power you put into the pedals is only a part of the carlories you are consuming.
Heart, lungs, stabilisation muscles in your core, arms holding your weight (+steering/braking) - all of these muscles have to work harder when you're cycling but they dont directly effect the power input, so calories used is proportionally linked to total work done (kJ) but not a direct conversion.

Soldato
The power you put into the pedals is only a part of the carlories you are consuming.
Heart, lungs, stabilisation muscles in your core, arms holding your weight (+steering/braking) - all of these muscles have to work harder when you're cycling but they dont directly effect the power input, so calories used is proportionally linked to total work done (kJ) but not a direct conversion.

It's around 22-25% efficiency, so usually people take the kj number as kcal, because it's good enough for estimation

So, 100kj energy (from power)

Divide by efficiency (let's use 25%) to get input

= 400kj

Converts to

95.6kcal

At 22% efficiency that converts to

109kcal

So we can just say 100kj ~= 100kcal and we've got a pretty good estimate :)

Soldato
How do people find Strava's kcal estimations to be? The estimates are somewhat higher than I usually come up with for my rides. I've just linked MFP with Strava, hence asking.

How do you do that?! I used to have Endomondo linked but as others have found that reads about 40% higher (for me at least) than Strava.

Garmin connect gives pretty pie tastic calorie burns as well reading about the same as Endomondo.

Man of Honour
How do you do that?! I used to have Endomondo linked but as others have found that reads about 40% higher (for me at least) than Strava.

Garmin connect gives pretty pie tastic calorie burns as well reading about the same as Endomondo.

Look in the settings on the actual Strava android app - it recently appeared in there :) Under "link to other services" or something like that.

Soldato
Gents

Been given these and they fit perfectly, just need some second hand pedals to go with them for my San Remo road bike, but not sure if its a specific type I need (Novice here!!)

Any ideas?

2mx29ds.jpg

Hi Guys

Would a set of Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL Pedals fit well with the above?

Think some kind soul on here said they would but wanted to double check

Thanks

Associate
hi guys, quick question: What's your favourite app to "record" your rides? I just need something that tracks me and able to export it to google maps or similar. Don't need to save altitude data, etc.

If it could log speed and burned calories that would be great, but I won't use that often.

Extra question for Londoners. How much is an average rate by the hour for servicing? I would like to fix my rear caliper brake. Despite all my efforts, it sometimes moves making one pad to touch the wheel, slowing me down, making noise, etc. My bike is rubbish (bought it just for casual rides during summer) so I would like to avoid replacing parts if possible. The brake itself works fine, but I can't attach/fix it to the frame completely so it won't move.

Last edited:
Caporegime
hi guys, quick question: What's your favourite app to "record" your rides? I just need something that tracks me and able to export it to google maps or similar. Don't need to save altitude data, etc.

If it could log speed and burned calories that would be great, but I won't use that often.

Strava, endomondo, mytracks... There's loads. Strava and endomondo are the most popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom