1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Cycling Essentials

Discussion in 'SA Archive' started by Matutu, 28 Jun 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janp

Wise Guy

Yep, I've been suffering big time this year. It's funny I don't notice the symptoms at all whilst riding, but as soon as I stop my eyes sting like mad. I decided not to ride over the weekend. It's annoying as I waited all Winter for the nice weather to hit.

I finally managed to drag the old man out for a bike ride last night. He goes to the gym twice a week, but I've been trying to convert him to road cycling. To be honest, I could have jogged quicker, and we only covered 6 miles. But it was nice to have some company for once. Unfortunately, towards the end he commented on how he prefers the exercise bike at the gym. Doesn't look like I've successfully converted him...........yet

2. physichull

Sgarrista

Ah....I notice exactly the same! I don't notice too many symptoms like my eyes or sneezing whilst out riding but as soon as I get home it all starts kicking off! Weird!

Noticed it a bit last night though, about half way round I started to feel I couldn't breathe as easily when I got to High Legh, but it soon passed and I felt alright for the rest of the ride.

This year feels much worse than last year for some reason.

3. topgun06

Sgarrista

Same! I don't notice the symptoms while riding. Its when I get in to the shower after when my eyes start crying!! It has not been as bad for me this year though. I find some years I suffer a lot more than others.

4. physichull

Sgarrista

Yeah, this year is one of those years for me :(

5. Berger

Capodecina

Well that was a fail.

All my stuff turned up from wiggle and Merlin.

Firstly I thought the valve extenders came in pairs, they don't they are sold individually.

Secondly, Zipp valve extenders require a quick release chuck pump head. The standard threaded Lezyne ones don't fit.

The only valve extenders I could get locally are 70mm. I only need 35mm so they look daft. I now have 3 spare valve extenders....

Bike shop in the next town has some 40mm so going to pick those up tomorrow hopefully.

Got the tyres stretching now on a set of clincher rims.

Put one layer of glue on the wheels, pretty simple but the continental carbon glue dries quick, could only do 1/10th of the rim at a time.

6. Shamrock

Soldato

Tubs sound like hassle!

7. physichull

Sgarrista

Scary stuff today, I can now buckle my belt one hole further along!

Seem to be losing the stomach flab! Just need to turn my leg flab into muscle now! I'm not especially heavy in the first place though, 5'11'' at 73 kg.

8. Berger

Capodecina

They go on and off the rim easier than clinchers.

The gluing so far has been pretty simple, put the wheels on the bike with the bike in the stand and rotate, glue one bit, repeat.

The only bit I am worried about is mounting and centring the tyre when it's all glued but they seemed to self centre quite well with only minor adjustment required when I dry fitted.

9. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Yeah, I'm buckling my belt further along, and getting thinner across the waist, albeit slowly! There's still a lot of fat to lose from there.

I'm 73Kg at 5'7" by comparison! The curse of a big torso.

10. physichull

Sgarrista

Didn't stop me having a Galaxy Caramel after my lunch though!

11. Lead_Head

Mobster

Does anyone know the releae date of the new Garmin cadence sensor?

12. One More Solo

Capodecina

Appears to be out now, my local Cycle Surgery is showing 1 in stock.

13. Shamrock

Soldato

Anyone doing the Dunwich Dynamo this year? :)

14. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

Warning - don't actually do this.

I just realised that although the activities will upload automatically MFP doesn't use Strava's kcal estimate. :rolleyes:

Utterly pointless.

15. Lead_Head

Mobster

Hmmm... none of the big players seem to be stocking it at the moment and I can't find it on Garmin's official shop.

Any idea what the model number is? The old one was called GSC 10.

16. One More Solo

Capodecina

17. Shamrock

Soldato

18. janp

Wise Guy

The old style sucked though. I was forever adjusting the sodding magnets. New ones have built in accelerometers, and are awesome in comparison, literally just throw one onto the pedal crank, and another on one of the wheel hubs. Had mine for a month now, no adjusting required so far :)

19. physichull

Sgarrista

Once I nailed the magnet position I have had no problems with my cadence sensor for my Garmin 810 at all.

I would agree with earlier posts though in that Garmin devices in general are MASSIVELY over priced, especially since you can get mobile phones that have more technology in them and can do more than be "just a satnav" for half the price (by that, I am not saying use a mobile phone instead, merely trying to put some comparison to other similar electronic devices/technology). They are not great value for money, not really.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2014
  20. Shamrock

Soldato

Hmm it does sound like less hassle I suppose, but I have 3 GSC-10s and I've never had an issue with any of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.