Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Once I nailed the magnet position I have had no problems with my cadence sensor for my Garmin 810 at all.

I would agree with earlier posts though in that Garmin devices in general are MASSIVELY over priced, especially since you can get mobile phones that have more technology in them and can do more than be "just a satnav" for half the price (by that, I am not saying use a mobile phone instead, merely trying to put some comparison to other similar electronic devices/technology). They are not great value for money, not really.

I'm not sure how true that is really, if they were that overpriced then there would be loads of room in the market for cheaper competitors to come in but the likes of Bryton have tried and failed (so far) to offer a good alternative. It's obviously not as full featured as a phone but the unit itself is far more robust and the screen is much better suited to outdoor use. Battery life is also pretty impressive for a small unit (my 800 lasted 14 hours including navigation on my London to Manchester ride).

I did pick mine up for £230~ with cadence and HRM though so that helped.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Scary stuff today, I can now buckle my belt one hole further along!

Seem to be losing the stomach flab! Just need to turn my leg flab into muscle now! I'm not especially heavy in the first place though, 5'11'' at 73 kg.
Where exactly are you planning to lose that weight from? I'm 5'10 and around the 70kg mark and there isn't exactly a lot of me except for some leg bulk. Don't go too mad if you don't need to.

Soldato
Where exactly are you planning to lose that weight from? I'm 5'10 and around the 70kg mark and there isn't exactly a lot of me except for some leg bulk. Don't go too mad if you don't need to.

I'm just slightly shorter than 5'10 and floating around 67kg at the moment, but I still have a bit of a layer around my waste and upper legs which I'm working on, obviously different body build ups, mine is from excess cake and chocolate still throughout the years :D

Soldato
Warning - don't actually do this.

I just realised that although the activities will upload automatically MFP doesn't use Strava's kcal estimate. :rolleyes:

Utterly pointless.

Ah, thanks for the heads up! I was waiting to see if the option appeared on the website as I don't use my mobile to track my rides any more (I should do, they show as being more hilly on the app than on my Garmin :p ).

I'll stick with entering it manually as part of my post ride Garming Connect / Strava / Veloviewer / MFP- have I earnt a cake/beer/pie routine :o :p

I'm 6'1'' but I'm a lot of kg more than those of you that have posted so far :p

Snap :(

Soldato

I'm not on a conscious drive to lose weight, it just seems to be happening. You never know, that might be all I'll lose.

I have changed my diet though, well, I say changed, main meals have always been reasonably balanced and healthy, but I've managed to cut out biscuits/choc/sweets/crisps, except for the occasional treat.

Actually, to add to that, I think I am actually staying at the same weight. I think flab is going and muscle is building somewhere else (only recently bought decent weighing scales).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just slightly shorter than 5'10 and floating around 67kg at the moment, but I still have a bit of a layer around my waste and upper legs which I'm working on, obviously different body build ups, mine is from excess cake and chocolate still throughout the years :D

You are me.

I think I'll get down to about 63kg before I start coming back up again. Depends if I keep up the Tri training or just stick with cycling.

Caporegime
What do I need to know about rim tape? I got a puncture on my old bike the other day and when I've come to sort it out today it's in the inside in the tube and the rim tape in the corresponding spot is adrift, leading me to believe it's snagged on the end of the spoke or in the hole or something.

Is ther anything in particular I need to know about what tape to buy, how to apply it, etc?

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla;26466246 said:
I take it you weigh less than a Big Mac as well?

I'm stuck in the middle zone; wishing I weighed less than Nairo Quintana on the way up and wishing I could give Thor Hushovd a lesson in pies on the way back down.

Pretty much - not through lack of trying though! Will lose it all over the next few weeks as doubt I'll find any time to head out until the end of July

Sham - need to head out with you guys at some point once I'm back, could even take you to Kentfordshire and show you the joys of Toys Hill from the south

Soldato
What do I need to know about rim tape? I got a puncture on my old bike the other day and when I've come to sort it out today it's in the inside in the tube and the rim tape in the corresponding spot is adrift, leading me to believe it's snagged on the end of the spoke or in the hole or something.

Is ther anything in particular I need to know about what tape to buy, how to apply it, etc?

just sounds like your tape wasn't installed properly? as in.. you moved it while installing the tyre, left a tiny gap.. and when pressure was applied - after pumping it up, it simply cut through the tube.. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom