Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Oops. I appear to own a TT bike.

It's only a Speed Concept 2.5 but it's in mint condition and was less than half price. Most importantly; it's short and narrow so should cope with my 720mm saddle height. Other options were a Shiv Elite or a P3C, both of which were over £1k more than this.

Yes it's Aluminium but so is my road bike and with 25mm tyres on wide rims you wouldn't know.

I'm going to swap the mechs for the Force ones I've taken off the CR1 and I'll invest my savings in some deep wide toroidal tubs from China and swapping my Singular Peregrine for a Cotic Escapade.

Oh, and I'll need a pointy helmet too.

Soldato
OK. Someone explain the blooming obvious to me please :p

If I use the Strava app it works out when I'm not moving and calculates my average speed based on my moving time as opposed to my elapsed time. If I upload from my Garmin (Edge 200) it doesn't seem to do that :confused: Is there a setting that I'm missing? Should I turn auto pause off on the Garmin?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Underboss
OK. Someone explain the blooming obvious to me please :p

If I use the Strava app it works out when I'm not moving and calculates my average speed based on my moving time as opposed to my elapsed time. If I upload from my Garmin (Edge 200) it doesn't seem to do that :confused: Is there a setting that I'm missing? Should I turn auto pause off on the Garmin?

Any help would be appreciated :)

your Garmin is still running (time from when you started it) I use auto stop under say 2 MPH

Soldato
your Garmin is still running (time from when you started it) I use auto stop under say 2 MPH

Yeah I should give it a threshold speed. Thing is though that it reads correctly on Garmin Connect but on Strava it doesn't differentiate moving time from stopped :( I need every 0.1mph average speed I can get ;) :D

Just taking my last ride (which was pretty much non stop)

Garmin Connect:
Time: 45:50
Moving Time: 45:31
Elapsed Time: 46:04

Strava:
Moving Time: 46:04

Last edited:
Associate
When I was putting my bike in the car on sunday at the end of my ride I heard a rattle inside my rear wheel. Just taken a look at it and noticed one of the nipples is missing. So before I can go for a ride tomorrow I now need to go hunting for the nipple in the wheel and true the wheel again. Aero spokes and I have nothing to hold them straight with :(

Yeah I should give it a threshold speed. Thing is though that it reads correctly on Garmin Connect but on Strava it doesn't differentiate moving time from stopped :( I need every 0.1mph average speed I can get ;) :D

Just taking my last ride (which was pretty much non stop)

Garmin Connect:
Time: 45:50
Moving Time: 45:31

Strava:
Moving Time: 46:04

Got my garmin set to pause below 3mph, strava and garmin never quite match up but strava does show moving time and elapsed time as more or less what garmin does for me. I think strava counts more as moving as it's usually a higher moving time, so I wouldn't worry about those numbers as half a minute extra isn't much to worry about.

Strava always robs me of average speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another TT tonight, which included probably the most horrible short hill around this way, Harting if anyone knows it. It was a "Hilly 20" but what this actually meant, was that it was 22 miles, which if I had prepared properly I would have known! So for the last 4 miles or so I thought I had missed a turn, and didn't push on as well as I could have, had a good time though, 21.8mph so just over an hour, very tough course, with a horrible headwind on the loneliest road I know! Not sure how I got on compared to others, but I was only about 30 seconds down on a guy who was about 2 minutes quicker than me on Saturday.

http://www.strava.com/activities/154830787

[DOD]Asprilla;26470834 said:
You are me.

I think I'll get down to about 63kg before I start coming back up again. Depends if I keep up the Tri training or just stick with cycling.

I'm hoping to get down to 65, but seem to hover around 67, weekends away ruin me, I eat far too much when I'm drinking! Need more self restraint.

Last edited:
Soldato
GULP !

I wondered why the 30 zone sign was flashing at me, I was doing 51 MPH !

You're brave!
As it happens, I had an identical top speed in my race on Sunday (51.7mph).
http://app.strava.com/activities/153947381/overview

No chance I'd be doing that if it wasnt a race though!

[DOD]Asprilla said:
Just looking around and in the world of pointy hats £60 doesn't get you much!
Get something that can take a visor. Like a Bell Javelin. I find glasses + TT helmets dont work very well.

Soldato
Oh cool!
Just doing some googling and I have realised that there is a visor available for my TT helmet (lazer tardiz)! Didnt know that! Ordered one, hope it arrives before my 50 on saturday.

Associate
Managed to fish the nipple out the rim and get it back on the end of the spoke without destroying the rim tape :D

Wheel has a good 4-5mm of wobble with that spoke undone. And to think it was probably like that while I was doing 50mph down a hill :eek:

Soldato
Or just a triathlete full stop. :p You should get a Kask Bambino, Asprilla. :D Since you saved money on the bike and all...

I retested my FTP last night and I'm up to 257 which isn't bad considering I've done no structured training the last couple of months. Going to pick it up again as I have club track champs at the end of July. :)

Soldato
Just had my first proper near miss today! A car pulled out onto the road almost taking me out! I saw him approach the junction so shaved off a bit of speed just in case, lucky I did! Both brakes on and a massive slide from the rear wheel resulted in me missing his rear quarter by mere inches. Fuming.

Soldato
Just had my first proper near miss today! A car pulled out onto the road almost taking me out! I saw him approach the junction so shaved off a bit of speed just in case, lucky I did! Both brakes on and a massive slide from the rear wheel resulted in me missing his rear quarter by mere inches. Fuming.

Had a nice little incident this morning, when approaching a roundabout some girl came past me about 10 yards before then decided to cut right across my path and stop due to another car coming around, was not happy, locked up, just about unclipped, knew she was in the wrong as it was eyes dead ahead when I was berating her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom