Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Haven't posted in this thread for a while, had a change in what I do, used to do a lot of weekend riding plus commuting (and subsequently have a few road bikes!) but now ended up selling a few of the bikes and just commute (been commuting now since 2008!).

Decided that I should use my Contour Roam HD on my commute, so since I used it again, it is amazing the difference it makes. In situations whereby drivers may be cheeky and pull a risk manoeuvre, they mostly never do so.

I am only doing it for my own safety, I am not going to be one of those who spends every evening posting videos of "bad driving" on Youtube!

Soldato
Well, my Shimano shoes died extremely quickly :p (though to be fair I've put 5.5k miles through them since the end of January).

As you say, it's only £15. I'll probably pick up some tomorrow. Looking at them they're cold weather wear but not waterproof. Is that right?

My Shimano Road shoes are still going strong, since 2010 this pair, and they endure 120 miles a week, and I walk a lot in them!

Soldato
Winter tights in August!!!!

Still trying to get through winter with only one pair here!

Great bunch this morning, had to bunny hop a pothole at 45kmh when the bunch call was as we were ontop of it and it appeared from nowhere from the rider in fronts back wheel I got some kudos anyway!

Soldato
So annoyed! 20:12 seconds around RP. So close to the sub 20 minute mark. Second lap I had to dawdle as my friend is very new to cycling, had to wait for him constantly.

http://app.strava.com/activities/173845247

Please with my progress on Anerley Hill though, that thing is a bugger.

you don't live far from me do you? we should pop out for a RP ride one day.. ?!

Associate
Great bunch this morning, had to bunny hop a pothole at 45kmh when the bunch call was as we were ontop of it and it appeared from nowhere from the rider in fronts back wheel I got some kudos anyway!

Scary when stuff like that happens. Been a couple of nasty crashes in our saturday bunch the last few months with similar incidents. Almost had it happen to me a couple of weeks ago - doing similar speeds to you in the fast section in the middle of our bunch when we went over a sunken drain and nobody shouted until way late. Must have been about 6 inches deep. Guy in front of me bunny hopped it but i was in it before i could react. I hit it so hard it actually rotated my bars about 15 degrees in the stem clamp! :eek: How my front wheel didn't puncture or buckle i don't know. Managed to keep it together though and made it back round.

Soldato
yeeee that'd be nice ;)

I just want to pwn you in a group.. ;)

got my carbon saddle :o it is light.. and thin.. :o but looks really good for £17

Got my saddle too this week! More comfortable than my Fizik but not got the angle on it perfect yet. Downloaded an app for my phone that gives digital angles rather than just a spirit level and guessing.

My bikes about 6.1kg in race trim inc Garmin! :D

Soldato
I'll be interested to hear about how comfortable it is. What is the weight of it again?

I might put it on before I leave work today.. we'll see :o not going to lie it is a bit scary ;) says ~100g I'll weight it on the kitchen scales.. If I can be bothered.

Got my saddle too this week! More comfortable than my Fizik but not got the angle on it perfect yet. Downloaded an app for my phone that gives digital angles rather than just a spirit level and guessing.

My bikes about 6.1kg in race trim inc Garmin! :D

that is seriously light.. :eek:

Soldato
you don't live far from me do you? we should pop out for a RP ride one day.. ?!

Most definitely, I work near where you live by the looks of it, so we can go one night after work? Or a weekend evening. Its a shame its a 12 mile ride just to get there though!

Hopefully my saddle will be here soon too then, think I ordered the same day

Soldato
I might put it on before I leave work today.. we'll see :o not going to lie it is a bit scary ;) says ~100g I'll weight it on the kitchen scales.. If I can be bothered.

that is seriously light.. :eek:

It's a crappy luggage hanging scale so not very accurate. Could weigh it properly at work so I think it might be a bit lighter.

There's one on weight weenies similar spec to mine, same frame size and wheels and group that's 5600g. He has the EE brakes and I have the standard red ones and bigger cranks.

Caporegime
I have a pair of winter bib longs, and a pair of thick long padded shorts, if that makes sense. The long shorts aren't great, as I'm so used to bibs now. The bib longs are ok, but the bibs have stretched so now they're really loose. I think this winter I'll take a chance and unpick the pad and see how they are if I wear them over some regular bib shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom