Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
You aint done an FTP test yet? Surely thats the place to start as it must be way too high if you're bailing after 10 mins. Only done AVDP once, and every interval is painful but just about doable ... after the first you don't know how you're going to cope with the rest but somehow you're able to pull through

If you havnt done an FTP test yet, do that first.
I thought that last link you posted to the trainerroad activity was just a random test of your bluetooth thingy. If you're trying to do the workouts properly, you're not doing it right.
Your FTP is actually set way too low but you were not following the power target anyway.
The blue block at the bottom is the target power and you have a graph of your actual power on there too, you need to adjust your power to match them up. You were going way too hard in the intervals (which would be why you didnt manage to finish it).

Set your FTP to 250 before you do the FTP test.

Yes, an FTP test will be the first proper run I do but at the moment I'm still setting it up and as I'm riding during the day a lot I'm not doing proper runs.

I don't really see the point of spending time on the trainer until the weather gets worse or I get an evening where I'm really bored/at a loose end for substantial amount of time.

The having to bail in ten minutes was a bit of an exaggeration. I felt knackered but I wasn't falling off the bike or anything.

I'm aware of the target power graphs but as the FTP is just set to default or slightly above the target power is hilariously low.

I'm not on it seriously at the moment. Just getting a feel for how it works, adjusting my spare bike to be ridable by me (I set it up for a friend a while ago so everything is set up for someone about 6 inches smaller than me) and having a play with things.

edit: I'll take your advice about setting the FTP to 250 before I do the FTP test though. I presume that's because the default 200 FTP is for someone that hasn't really ridden much?

Last edited:
Soldato
/drool Aquilo. What is odd that I thought the Aquilo was designed specifically for Ultegra Di2, yet when you configure it on their bike builder, it says that the Aquilo can't take Di2..

One of my dream bikes that, certainly. You lucky bugger :p. Whilst the boss has said I can get a new bike next year, I don't think €6,000+ is likely to find much favour. How much did yours cost if you don't mind?
I'm not sure why they're offering it with mechanical groupsets now. I thought it was a mistake at first but fatbirds.co.uk are selling a variety of them. Mine is the Aquilo SE, which is a special edition in that you cannot change the configuration. I got mine from the Van Nicholas outlet last year for £2700, and as a very generous gesture of goodwill they upgraded it to a titanium seatpost free of charge. They've recently started selling it with the 11 speed Ultegra Di2; yours for just £2922 with free delivery! Tell the missus that the wheels are a grand and the groupset is £750, so it's actually a bargain; I am sure she'll approve.

Surely you'll want to get a bike with a triple now that you're living in the mountains?

Soldato
edit: I'll take your advice about setting the FTP to 250 before I do the FTP test though. I presume that's because the default 200 FTP is for someone that hasn't really ridden much?

Yes, 200 is clearly too low for you.
When you do the FTP test, you're supposed to push as hard as you can for 20mins. The target power doesnt matter there but you'll follow the target for the warmup before it so you want to set it a bit higher to get a proper warmup.

Man of Honour
Yes, 200 is clearly too low for you.
When you do the FTP test, you're supposed to push as hard as you can for 20mins. The target power doesnt matter there but you'll follow the target for the warmup before it so you want to set it a bit higher to get a proper warmup.

Out of interest, are you meant to literally push as hard as possible from the start? So naturally your power will taper off as you get more knackered...and then it works out an average from that?

Soldato
You're supposed to pace yourself to get the highest average for 20mins as you can. It takes a while to learn how to do that though so you'll naturally go off too hard and slow down towards the end.

Man of Honour
You're supposed to pace yourself to get the highest average for 20mins as you can. It takes a while to learn how to do that though so you'll naturally go off too hard and slow down towards the end.

That makes sense.

To be honest that's part of why I've just been playing around with it recently. I've never ridden a turbo trainer before and I've not really paid attention to cadence (aside from to try and "keep it high"), power, etc. On top of that just getting used to the general setup and how prompts on screen translate into what I should do on the bike just takes a little time to feel natural.

Caporegime
Surely you'll want to get a bike with a triple now that you're living in the mountains?

Yeah I really don't know. I'm actually getting up things, yes its fair to say bloody slowly, but the reality is I've been here for 4 months now, whereas I cycled on the flat for years. It's going to take time for me to adjust and get the legs working differently, but lets see off the top of my head: Ventoux, Alpe D'huez, Grand Colombier, Col du Glandon, Col de la Madeline, Col de la Rochette, Col du Tormalet, Le Hautecam, Aspin, and many others, some of 'em twice or more. And all on a compact..

Wonder if they'd sell it without the wheels (as I don't need 'em).

Last edited:
Soldato
Well after my little off last week I've finally gone to the doctors to have it checked out, & seems I have a haematoma which will take 4-6 weeks to sort itself out.
I've got a holiday next week so with bieng off the bike all of this week, I'll be itching to get back out there before the winter weather hits us. :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Nice to ride in this morning, but despite riding very casually I could feel my knee complaining :(

I think more than a month off is in order. Rest up, let everything knit back together and start again from scratch. I think it's the most sensible thing to do :(

Soldato
Nice to ride in this morning, but despite riding very casually I could feel my knee complaining :(

I think more than a month off is in order. Rest up, let everything knit back together and start again from scratch. I think it's the most sensible thing to do :(

yeah I keep having problems with my knee during winter!

hopefully it'll be alright this year..

It might the fact that it's getting colder, lack of something in your body vitamin etc wise.. ! or you're just getting old ;)

could be your seating position? any recent changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom