Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Check the shimano rating for them.. :) it'll probably be 105kg.. Less spokes normally equal to higher tension/quality of the spoke.. The only problem I see is that if one of the 20goes then your wheel will really be buckled.. While on a 32spoke wheel it won't be as visible.

Soldato
Check the shimano rating for them.. :) it'll probably be 105kg.. Less spokes normally equal to higher tension/quality of the spoke.. The only problem I see is that if one of the 20goes then your wheel will really be buckled.. While on a 32spoke wheel it won't be as visible.

I had a look and it's not listed even on the two data sheets they had on their site. Found another forum and some guy was about 100kgs and was using rs21s without any problems. Hopefully he wasn't lucky.

Soldato
Good run with the club today, small group of us mostly the young guys, apparently it was supposed to be the inters group but I didn't hear this and was smashing it once I got warmed up. Had a few diversions and 2 of the guys dropped off which I didn't realise, think an apology will be in order.

Felt brilliant all the way round and dropped the others on pretty much every climb, which considering my huge Chinese last night was good. Good 48 miles at 17mph including the easing off for the guys to catch back on for the first 30 one so.

http://app.strava.com/activities/261467167

Looking forward to the first TT next Saturday!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, weather isn't looking amazing now. I walked to the local Tesco earlier and it was pretty windy but still relatively nice out and compared to yesterday the wind really wasn't that bad. That said, I'm comparing South Manchester to the hills north of the Peak District.

Soldato
They should definitely apologise for not keeping up!

Haha! Bloody nippers on the way back, I was pushing 24 mph or so in the front, and one of them jumped me! Had to stannard him back in, and dropped him on the next climb! Always satisfying. Amount of time on the front today was just what I needed too! (ie all of the ride)

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up! I've not hit the 4GB size limit yet but are you sure that's a Garmin thing? Not you using the x86 (32bit) version of Windows 7? The overlay is one of the main things a VIRB is better for cycling than a GoPro...

No it's a Garmin thing as comfirmed on the Garmin forums.

"I get a warning about a 4GB file size limit, what's up with that?

On Windows 7 (not on Windows 8), the software we use to write video files has an unfortunate 4 GB file size limit. So if your video is too long, it will hit that limit and export will fail. To make matters worse, it will fail at the very end of a possibly very long export process. That is why VIRB Edit warns you that you might hit that limit. You can still attempt the export if you want to. To circumvent the 4 GB limit you could: a) make a shorter video, b) make a video at a lower resolution or c) upgrade to Windows 8. At 1080p, you should be able to squeeze about 25 minutes into 4GB."

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?74042-VIRB-Edit-does-not-export-my-videos-What-do-I-do

Basically they did a half arsed job at developing Virb Edit which is no surprise coming from Garmin.

Soldato
My wife is buying me a bike for my birthday so I've decided on a road bike. I'm quite a fatty now, a touch over 100kgs. Anyone have any idea how much weight road wheels can put up with?

I'm looking at getting a Ribble Gran Fondo with a pair of Shimano RS21 wheels.

The Gran Fondo is nice, but it might be worth considering a steel bike with a more relaxed geometry, especially if you're just starting out. The slight weight difference won't matter that much, and since a lot of steel bikes come with high spoke count touring wheels it might help just with peace of mind.

Soldato
recommend me a easy to remove saddle bag! It needs to fit the fallowing -;

pump
levers
mini tool
chain tool
spare tube
puncture kit

but something that wouldn't require me to attach any random brackets to the bike, I need to for rides during weekend, where I don't want to carry my backpack. Anything around that you guys would recommend? I keep ripping them apart..

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-medium-saddle-bag/

looks good!

Caporegime
Urgh. I went out to try and scout out a route to work and back. I need to get into Manchester from the North West. I know a few routes, but I need one that I'll be happy to ride at rush hour and which doesn't take forever... The most sensible route in terms of distance takes me across junction 13 of the M60 which is a double roundabout affair and I'm not massively keen on doing it when it's busy. I thought I'd try a private "access only" type road, as they can go either way... Well, this definitely went the way of being utterly unfeasible. Atrocious surface and big signs by a farm house saying "NO THROUGH ROAD" so I think I'll give that a miss. There's a canal path, which would take me where I need to get to, but that's so thick with mud that I wouldn't fancy it on a mountain bike, let alone a road bike, so that's a no go.

Anyway.

After turning back on that access only road I went on my way to at least get in a little loop, given I was out, and as I was going through Worsley I crossed over a beautifully tarmacced cycle path that was oriented in a direction that suggested it must go under the M60 in one direction and towards where I need to get to in Manchester in the other. It was like one of those moments in a film where someone sees something they really want, and there's angelic singing and a bright light... I've had a look at it on Google Maps and it would indeed get me from where I am to where I want to be, so it's really just a question of whether the surface is up to it... It cuts off a bit of distance compared to the access only road, and isn't any longer than sticking to the roads. I may not be able to go so quickly on a cycle path as on a road, but it's only 3 miles on that path so it won't be a problem. I think I might head out one night this week and take a look.

I really want to ride into work, I just really don't want to die on that bloody roundabout.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom