Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I tend to think that chain cleaners and lubes are pretty much some same. Some sware by a daily WD40 whilst others swear it's the devil.

Anyway, I just by something that's a ludicrous colour or has a silly name for cleaning. Every other week I take my chain off and leave it over night in white spirit. That tends to get everything off.

Any bike oil will do for lubrication as you should be going it after every ride anyway.

Someone will no doubt prove that the nano particles in the latest product work wonders, but I think it's just snake oil additive.

Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;16849675 said:
Anyway, I just by something that's a ludicrous colour or has a silly name for cleaning. Every other week I take my chain off and leave it over night in white spirit. That tends to get everything off.

But many also swear against doing that, because each time you take a pin out to get the chain off it weakens the chain; and every time you soak it in spirit it removes a bit of the internal lubricant.

Soldato
But many also swear against doing that, because each time you take a pin out to get the chain off it weakens the chain; and every time you soak it in spirit it removes a bit of the internal lubricant.

Probably.

I can guard against pin damage by using KMC Quick Links. Lubing the chain regularly should replace the 'internal' lube.

See, there's no right or wrong way of doing a lot of this, it's just trial and error and seeing what works for you.

Associate
OP
Asprilla,

Spent last night adding a few things into my wiggle basket would you mind just having a glance over and seeing anything ive missed or you would not recommend?

Only thing not on here is gloves as there out of stock of "small" so can get them from another place.

Thanks a lot :D really appreciate it.

Caporegime
I'd recommend the Topeak Joe Blow Max II Track Pump over that one, simply because I've used both and found the JB to be the best I've ever used, and don't bother with those tyre levers. Get the Soma Steel cored tyre levers from Chainreaction cycles.

Can't recommend that saddle bag either way, but the Topeak Medium Aero is perfect for my saddle kit: 2 Spare Inner Tubes, Tyre Levers, Multi-Tool, Puncture Repair kit, Mobile Phone.

I would avoid the Lifeline chain cleaning kit, I had one and it fell apart after a few uses, very cheap, very flimsy. If you want to go down the road of chain care (which you should), get a chain link tool and take it off regularly and clean it. Don't bother with the Citrus chain cleaner, expensive and unnecessary - use white spirit as above in Asprilla's post.

The Castelli kit is good stuff, does it match your bike though :p? You can probably pick up the 2009 kit much cheaper as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mitts and a chain tool is all I can think of.

The castelli gear is amazing from what I've heard. I don't ride it but we sell it in the shop and it seems to fly off the shelf and online.

Soldato
The Castelli kit is good stuff, does it match your bike though :p? You can probably pick up the 2009 kit much cheaper as well.

Exactly what I was going to say. The 2009 training shorts are £50ish and the 2009 training jerseys are £45ish, so that will save you some cash. There is very little difference.

A Park Tools Patch Kit is usually a good idea, as is a multitool / set of allen keys.

Given my experiance with a pedestrian this morning you may also want an airhorn and some elastaplast.........

Last edited:
Associate
OP
platypus Wow thanks for all your help :), and thanks Asprilla ive added those patches to my list.

Sorry but that chain link tool link didnt work could you please link it again please. Do you really have to remove the chain to clean it? is there not a way to do it while on the bike?

Caporegime
Not to clean it effectively Matutu. Get a chain link tool (I've fixed the link above for you), and do what Asprilla does. In fact I'm ordering a Quick link now. That is for a 10 cog cassette isn't it Asprilla?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, the one I linked to is for a 10 speed shimano. They also do them for campag and other speed chains.

It's pretty handy if you do have chain failure whilst out, you can juse remove the damaged section and put it back together with a quick link to get you home. Much easier than messing around putting pins back in chains.

Soldato
I don't sell it the shop sells it but it does come very small! I know of at least two things being sent back this week as they were too small even at a large size.

Can't see the ones suggested in the thread but he has this one listed at £62(10% off)

29728849full10060010f72.jpg

Soldato
FYI people I believe tesco have floor pumps for £15 at the moment rated up to 160 psi. Might not be any use to you but seemed decent build quality to me

Associate
OP
Well ill be ordering everything in phases i think lol, so ive just ordered my castelli Bib Shorts and Jersey, they only had small though so im hoping these will fit, if not ill need to return :(.

Soldato
+1 on Pro3s, best tyres I have used. I commute on them as well, every bike I have is now dressed in them. Just ordered a pink set for my girlfriend.

Road cycling can get expensive..I have spent around £3,000 in the last week on upgrades (Di2, shimano 50mm wheels, Shutt VR kit, more tyres etc) but worth it :cool:

Associate
OP
its quite amazing how quickly this stuff adds up, btw do you guys ware anything over the bottom of these shorts? im still not sure on the whole tight figure hugging pants for the world to see lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom