Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well you don't have to go for the full lycra look if you don't want to, just better to do once you start clocking up the miles as it's good at wicking sweat away from the body, amongst many other things.

I personally haven't got the full lycra look (yet :)) as I bought a MTB top instead. It's not loose and baggy, but more like a tighter than usual t-shirt, works well for me and I don't look that much out of place in a beer garden when meeting mates :).

Associate
OP
lol its more the legs that are a worry these things sit pretty high lol, im gonna have super tanned calfs with whiter than white thighs LOL! gonna look well cool speeding along like that lmao.

Well hopefully wiggle should dispatch the outfit today so should be interesting to see.

I so need to cycle shoes though i think, i just need to figure out cleats now as i keep misplacing and sliding my feet around on the peddles.

Soldato
You are gonna have a cyclists tan: brown calves, shins, knees, forearms, elbows and lower face. Everything else is white, including your hands.

Additionally I've got a massive watchmark from my GPS. I need a week in the sun to fill in the gaps.

Caporegime
I stopped wearing my GPS on my bike as I have an onboard computer. But yeah, everything not covered is tanned, it's an amusing look :).

Matutu - shoes should have been one of your first purchases, would have recommended that but I just assumed :eek:!

Soldato
As far as shoes go, you probably can't go wrong with dhb ones from Wiggle to start with. Just make sure they have the right number of holes. Most road cleats use three mounting screws but SPDs which are mainly got MTBs (though I and many others use then for commuting) only use two.

I've only ever used SPDs and Look Keos. People rave about Time ATACs but the cleats aren't supposed to be very robust and are expensive. SPD-SLs are similar to Keos.

You'll see 'float' referred to when looking at cleats; this is the amount of angular movement the cleat allows whilst remaining attached. Zero float means you can apply more power but it also puts mire strain on the knees.

Soldato
The pedals platypus linked to are SPDs. If you want some cheap pedals for starting then try Shimano M520s. They take the same cleat but can be picked up for £20 and are double sided which makes them much easier to start out on.

Be aware though that if you go for two hole cleats you'll need new shoes if you decide to change to three hole.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was looking at getting some Sidi's (yeah I know, a mega luxury), but wasn't sure what pedals would compliment them well enough. Any suggestions?

Associate
OP
Well i was abit scared and didnt know what cleats were, i thought once you "clip in" you cant get them out with unlatching something but i ebelive its just a case of twisting your foot in a correct way?

Asprilla and platypus thanks so much for all your help, could i ask that you suggest not a cheap set of shoes cleats and peddles but a good quality set which will last me a long time :). Looking around wiggle its so easy to get confused with Cleats-Peddles and then shoes :s.

Thanks again so much guys :)

Soldato
If you are looking for something to last a long time then go to a bike shop and pick some shoes that are comfortable; the last thing you want to spend £150 on a pir of white and gold Sidi Ergo2 Carbons and find they rub after 10 miles.

Then I'd recommend either SPD-SLs or Look Keo pedals. There isn't much difference between them but there is a wide range of pedals for your price and the cleats aren't too expensive (you will damage them every time you put your foot down).

Soldato
I'd recommend the Topeak Joe Blow Max II Track Pump over that one, simply because I've used both and found the JB to be the best I've ever used, and don't bother with those tyre levers. Get the Soma Steel cored tyre levers from Chainreaction cycles.

Can't recommend that saddle bag either way, but the Topeak Medium Aero is perfect for my saddle kit: 2 Spare Inner Tubes, Tyre Levers, Multi-Tool, Puncture Repair kit, Mobile Phone.

I would avoid the Lifeline chain cleaning kit, I had one and it fell apart after a few uses, very cheap, very flimsy. If you want to go down the road of chain care (which you should), get a chain link tool and take it off regularly and clean it. Don't bother with the Citrus chain cleaner, expensive and unnecessary - use white spirit as above in Asprilla's post.

The Castelli kit is good stuff, does it match your bike though :p? You can probably pick up the 2009 kit much cheaper as well.

I have the Joe Blow Max II and struggle to get my tyres inflated to 115PSI, I had to jump and put all my weight on it to get it over 100PSI.

Caporegime
Asprilla and platypus thanks so much for all your help, could i ask that you suggest not a cheap set of shoes cleats and peddles but a good quality set which will last me a long time :). Looking around wiggle its so easy to get confused with Cleats-Peddles and then shoes :s.

Thanks again so much guys :)
The set I suggested are actually good quality, and just come at a good price. I still use them regularly on one of my road bikes.

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot guys :), ill look into these shoes im more worried about falling off lmao, at the moment im getting used to the skinny wheels but still slightly wary, so being "clipped in" worries me slightly

Soldato
Everyone has 'clipless moments' when you come to a halt and forget that you can't remove your feet. Disengaging is very easy, you just move your heel out. The problem starts when you are already falling over because you just can't unclip fast enough. If you are falling it's too late.

The best thing I've found it to make it a routine; I always disengage my left foot when I come to a halt, never might right so it becomes automatic. If you are wary of a situation then you can always disengage and move your foot forward a bit so that you can still pedal without the cleat re-engaging.

Caporegime
It takes getting used too, and I won't lie to you - I still fall over. Cycling in traffic you sometimes just have to jam on brakes and don't always have time to compute clipping out. Similarly, if your chain comes off (shouldn't if you maintain it well), down you go.

However, a) you get used to falling over and b) if its a really serious situation you will have enough strength to pull straight out as they all have that safety mechanism built in.

As Asprilla says above, you get into a routine - for me its my right foot. My left foot very rarely ever gets clipped out. Thats another reason I would recommend one sided pedals, so you can use the cleat to still cycle with the underneath of the pedal, but you're not clipped in - useful when in heavy traffic.

Man of Honour
yup, clip less moments are fun, my right ankle is still a little dodgy after a very late clipping out :( But its totally worth it for the extra power and you'll soon get used to it :)

I clip out at most junctions now with my left foot so I can stop if needs be or power off with just the right foot otherwise.

Thanks for the quick link recommendations btw, I've just been keeping my fingers crossed my chain doesn't die so far :)

Associate
OP
OMG im so impressed with Wiggle ordered at 3:30 yesterday and here already :O. Well is it a bad thing that a small bib shorts and small jersey fit my perfectly lol just shows how skinny i am lol.

Well verdicts of me waring this gear
Myself..... Hmmmm (i actaully think quite cool lol)
Mother..... Makes you look like a athelete
Best Mate..... Makes you look like the biggest t*t going lol
Dad..... looks like your waring a huge condom over ya with a helmet on LOL!.

So yes dunno if ill build the courage to go out in public tonight with it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom