Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Well under your budget, but the Mavic Aksiums have been excellent. They take everything the potholed roads of Cambridge throw at them, and they're lightweight.

Other then that, get some hand built carbons?

Soldato
I've got Aksiums on the Ribble at the moment and they have been pretty much bombproof. Same goes for the Pave Roval SLs on the Cervelo (but I wouldn't expect less from them as tricross wheels). So much so that I've got a pair of RS20s I bought spares that I've never even had out if the box.

Really I'm after something superstiff and possible a little areo. I've never looked at hand built, I wouldn't know where to start ot what were good components and what weren't.

I'd also want to use them everyday.

Soldato
Oh, sorry. Wasn't clear.

Depends what you want them for, what riding you do and if you have and issues with your knees.

I commute using SPDs because by it's nature this involves a lot of clipping / unclipping and it's handy to have a cleat recessed into a flexible shoe for walking properly. Double sided pedals also makes getting away from busy junctions a doddle without annoying others.

I use Look Keo Classics for the weekend. It's a larger cleat giving you a much more stable platform and the shoes are rigid allowing you to put down more power. The cleats are plastic (SPDs are metal) so every time you put them down you will damage them.

Never used Time ATACs but those who do rave about them, particularly if you've had knee problems. They are expensive for the cleats and you have to use cleat covers to walk in them.

SPD-SLs are the same as Look Keos.

Caporegime
Hmmmm. I'm getting tempted to buy some carbon rims now as well. Been totally bitten by the triathlon bug. Even considering a disc wheel!

No real idea where to look though. Lightweight are obviously good, as are Zipp, but I'd rather buy a new bike..

[DOD]Asprilla;16890329 said:
Is that true now? I thought they where that larger 3 hole cleat. Interesting, as I'm looking for new pedals and don't want to buy new shoes (at present anyway).

Man of Honour
Never used Time ATACs but those who do rave about them, particularly if you've had knee problems. They are expensive for the cleats and you have to use cleat covers to walk in them.

theres also the speedplay system thats very similar to the Time ATACS - very very small pedals and big metal cleats that are pricey & hard to walk on...

If you want to walk places seriously think about getting some SPDs, Road cleat are damn hard to walk on and very expensive to wear down (well £15 for look ones and i almost need to replace mine after 3 months :()

Associate

I use the Atac mtb pedals on the recumbent.

4296347904_34405a092c.jpg

Harder to clip into than SPD since there is no way of adjusting the tension, but as you mentioned, more float and kinder on my knees.

Soldato
Those Fuerte Bici wheels are interesting; there are loads of threads on TriTalk with people asking what they are like but no-one can provide a review.

Apparently the guys who own the company are well respected and wouldn't let a bad product out of the door, but until I see someone do a long term test I'll not be going there.

Besides, I want something I can use for the commute as well as for triathlons.

Soldato
What's your budget?

Looking at about £500, maybe a couple of hundred more. I'm selling my Ribble and having a clearout of spare wheels, stems, freewheels, etc so it depends what I get for them and how much of a bargin I think I'm getting.

Am souring ebay as well as UK and German stores (German stores are generally cheaper).

Have just sent an email to wheelsmith about their recommentations for custom builds.

Man of Honour
[DOD]Asprilla;16892638 said:
Looking at about £500, maybe a couple of hundred more. I'm selling my Ribble and having a clearout of spare wheels, stems, freewheels, etc so it depends what I get for them and how much of a bargin I think I'm getting.

just theoretically what stems are you getting rid of? I'm looking to try a slightly shorter one than the Deda Quattro 31.7 110mm I've got at the moment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom