Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah, I think it will definitely take some getting used to. However, I think my position was far too aggressive for the style of riding I do. I do a lot of climbing, and it's what I want to improve on the most, so being super low wasn't really helping me a huge amount there. Whilst I'm less aggressive, it'll be more comfortable, and is probably a much more sensible position.

From what the fitter said, it's still more aggressive than they would normally suggest for someone not racing, but I should still see the comfort benefits. I think about the drops, using them just made my position insanely low. Which coming from an already aggressive position probably just make me too uncomfortable.
Yup! Much of it is getting comfortable in the different positions, in different situations, deciding what works for you and your riding.

To be honest my position before was too relaxed and one of the club guys I ride with suggested to drop a couple of spacers (to drop my position) to help my climbing. Being very 'upright' and then trying to climb invariably pushes you of out the saddle sooner as the angle of the pedal stroke gets further from the vertical, being a little more aggressive helps negate this slightly. Basically the opposite to what you're doing! It also enabled me to get lower when climbing out of the saddle to help on the really steep stuff! :)
Weather was nice out yesterday. Little ride down by the canal.

13551705_1620415988272262_943522261_n.jpg
Great pic! Shame about the slow bike and the slow ride past the canal. *hides* ;)
some gears refuse to go up/down smoothly, now I'd think "hey it's indexing" but i'd expect it to either refuse to go down or go up.. but this is literally both ways, and it's not clicking or anything it simply sits there for a while and pops the gear up/down ???
I'd try cables first, but also make sure there's no gunk/muck in your shifter that's stopping it clicking/shifting accurately. Probably cables though!
It's not a bad saddle, have yet to do any real distance on it tho. Nearly all the other bikes I've owned over they years get a Charge Spoon put on them first thing, I can do a fair few miles on those even in regular shorts without padding.
I couldn't get on with the Spoon, it was better than the factory saddle on my Giant but still not ideally suited for me. I found the curve from the nose really put pressure on me, the flatter Arione I changed to solved that. Being fairly narrow at the nose really helped! Broke my R5 (was second hand anyway) and replaced it with an older more solid Arione which I'll probably swap onto my 'winter' bike (when I buy it) before buying a newer R3/5 or such.
20160627_173526.jpg

Associate
Just got my first road bike... a B'Twin Triban 500 se.

I had originally ordered a Triban 3 (red) on the £150 deal but, unfortunately, when it arrived it was damaged. As there were no more in stock in the size I required, they sent me this instead.

20160625_085819.jpg

I'm yet to have a proper right yet, but hoping to get out over box hill at the weekend.

Soldato
Which grease is recommended for a BB/Crankset (Ultegra 6800? and also Headtube bearings? (Giant Propel, if it helps).
I (rightly or wrongly) use the same light grease for all of them, mostly because it's cheap and got it with a gun on a regular CRC deal.

Just got my first road bike... a B'Twin Triban 500 se.
I had originally ordered a Triban 3 (red) on the £150 deal but, unfortunately, when it arrived it was damaged. As there were no more in stock in the size I required, they sent me this instead.

20160625_085819.jpg

I'm yet to have a proper right yet, but hoping to get out over box hill at the weekend.
Welcome to our little corner of the forums. Great choice for a first road bike! Hope you're able to get out on it soon! :)

Not sure if it's camera angle but shifters look quite raised with a negative angle stem, if you're after an upright position it's probably best to flip the stem and flatten the hoods.

Associate
Welcome to our little corner of the forums. Great choice for a first road bike! Hope you're able to get out on it soon! :)

Not sure if it's camera angle but shifters look quite raised with a negative angle stem, if you're after an upright position it's probably best to flip the stem and flatten the hoods.

Thanks for the welcome.

It is indeed the angle of the photo. The stem is actually angled upwards, with the top of the bars pointing just slightly above horizontal. In regards to the gear shifters/hoods, they are just wherever the factory placed them; not sure if they're in the correct position or not as I've never been on a road bike before, but they look to be about the same as road bikes on google. :)

Soldato
I used PTFE grease on my BB as it was recommended to use on the BB assembly instructions for a carbon frame. I also used the same stuff for the headset bearings.

I (rightly or wrongly) use the same light grease for all of them, mostly because it's cheap and got it with a gun on a regular CRC deal.

Cheers guys, can get the latter on the highstreet so will pick some up :)

Soldato
It is indeed the angle of the photo. The stem is actually angled upwards, with the top of the bars pointing just slightly above horizontal. In regards to the gear shifters/hoods, they are just wherever the factory placed them; not sure if they're in the correct position or not as I've never been on a road bike before, but they look to be about the same as road bikes on google. :)
Thought it was, just wanted to check! What have you ridden before? MTB?

Whatever you've ridden before you'll find the road position quite 'aggressive' and it will take a while to get used to. When you're new some basic core strength and flexibility exercises may help to aid your comfort in the position. I started out quite badly with my elbows locked and 'resting' my weight forwards on my shoulders rather than supporting it, it made me quite unstable when climbing out of the saddle and I tired easily. I'd also get some serious neck and shoulder aches after more than an hour or two of riding. One to watch out for! :)

Slow as anything mate. It's because I'm such a fat *******, I can only go fast downhill :D
Haha, I expected some abuse back from you! :p

You've got the power mate, the turbo sessions definitely showed that!

Packing up clothes ready for house move I came across a couple of old pairs of jeans from around 2008-9 kinda era when I was probably at my biggest. I'd bought them baggy for lazy cheap jeans for working outside in, but still, check out the change/loss! :)
20160625_153615.jpg

Scary or what! :eek:

Soldato
Oooohh the burn :D

Question: Have many of you found that cycling has helped your flexibility, and then changed your position on the bike over the years because of that newly found flexibility?

Very aware after my fitting of how terrible my flexibility is, especially my hamstrings.

Soldato
Did they do the two tests for flexibility? Raise quads to chest and also touch your toes?

I was terrible at raising quads to chest but could easily touch toes... Not really sure what that said but they decided my flexibility wasn't that great so I ended up with positive degree stem flip and only one spacer on top. I'm pretty sure my flexibility has improved now as I feel much more comfortable in the drops. Soon I'll have to try flipping it back to negative.

Soldato
Did they do the two tests for flexibility? Raise quads to chest and also touch your toes?

I was terrible at raising quads to chest but could easily touch toes... Not really sure what that said but they decided my flexibility wasn't that great so I ended up with positive degree stem flip and only one spacer on top. I'm pretty sure my flexibility has improved now as I feel much more comfortable in the drops. Soon I'll have to try flipping it back to negative.

Yup. Those are the two we did.

Added to the fact that my shoulder injury from a long time ago meant that my hamstring flexibility has always been a bit bad. It is something I am going to work on! I have my "Yoga for Cyclists" book that has a lot of hamstring stretches. I just need to devote some time to it!

Yeah, my stem is now positive degree, but that was mainly based on my position being so extreme (30-35 degress back angle) vs what they felt it should be given I'm not racing, and only been cycling for 2 years.

Associate
Thought it was, just wanted to check! What have you ridden before? MTB?

Whatever you've ridden before you'll find the road position quite 'aggressive' and it will take a while to get used to. When you're new some basic core strength and flexibility exercises may help to aid your comfort in the position. I started out quite badly with my elbows locked and 'resting' my weight forwards on my shoulders rather than supporting it, it made me quite unstable when climbing out of the saddle and I tired easily. I'd also get some serious neck and shoulder aches after more than an hour or two of riding. One to watch out for! :)

I used to bmx until about 2007, then I have only really used my mtb since.

Have wanted to get a roadbike for a few years but never got around to this, I couldn't miss this deal though.

On the brief ride i have given the bike it certainly did feel wierd, particularly pedalling when holding onto the drop bar, and also trying to stand and pedal when holding the drop bar. I'll get there...

Soldato
Could anyone explain why the garmin connect website is so pants 90% of the time.

It has never once remembered me despite ticking the box. I fortunately rarely need to go there... usually only following corrupt file issues on the device.

I guess they employed the same set of engineers that wrote the software for their devices...

Soldato
How old are you Roady? Must be really old to wear your trousers so close to your arm pits :D
I've got a short body?! LOL not that short! To be fair I only pulled them on for the picture! :p
Question: Have many of you found that cycling has helped your flexibility, and then changed your position on the bike over the years because of that newly found flexibility?
Hugely helped but I think much of that has also come from the weight loss.
On the brief ride i have given the bike it certainly did feel wierd, particularly pedalling when holding onto the drop bar, and also trying to stand and pedal when holding the drop bar. I'll get there...
Standing and holding the drops isn't really something you'll do much of when starting out, just get used to holding the 'hoods' with the occasional drop into the 'drops' when hammering downhill/on the flat. Just takes time & practice! :)
Could anyone explain why the garmin connect website is so pants 90% of the time.
Because... Garmin?

I'm with Chris on this one, for the money their firmware/software is utter gash. Hardware is very good (unfortunately). Really would like to try an ELEMNT (as I've been impressed with my TICKR and the KICKR has such a reputation that I'd almost certainly buy one over any other high end smart trainer...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom