Road Cycling

Soldato
Yeah, my initial idea is to use 4 season over winter and go back to GP5000 for next Spring. I'll probably still do this and keep these Gators for winters.

Unrelated, I'm thinking of replacing my chain too. Google tells me 2-3,000 miles for a chain, so maybe I should replace it before it snaps 40 miles from home? Any suggestions there?

Soldato
You want to replace it before it gets to 0.75 side fitting in really.

I've had new chains that can just about fit the 0.5 side in but bike shops do love to say replace when 0.5 fits :D

Man of Honour
Finally had the bottom bracket on my P2 replaced... It sounded like a cross between a frog in a metal box and a metal kissing gate (absolutely awful) and was replaced with a BBinfinite setup with their ABEC-7 bearings.

£158 delivered, and arrived in 5 days (but I had it delayed over the August bank holiday weekend). Fitting required some new cables, but there we go.

LBS (Cambridge Bicycle Ambulance - thank you!) were very impressed and explained it was a VERY snug fit ("yeah, that will probably never need to come out... We probably couldn't get it out, either!"), and a test ride yesterday proceeded with no creak at all! Brilliant!

Time will tell how it lasts, but fingers crossed!

Soldato
I just fitted some new mavic aksium disc wheels, everything is good apart from the noise - both wheels sound like cage is being rattled, especially the rear when I change gear.

It must be the spokes, none of them are loose. Is this because they are brand new and need bedding in?

Soldato
Good social ride on Saturday with the Gannets. Quite a few out so split into 3 fairly evenly matched groups to keep the pace similar, yet also keeping a few hundred yards between the groups. Quite a bit further a ride than I'd planned and not enough food with me to compensate meant I rode the last 2 hours without food and pretty much bonked on the way home. Oooops. The later pull of the group back in the headwinds after the couple of earlier hill efforts was quite enough, without the silly 'go catch the front group when one of them had dropped back to us' suggestion from someone as I was riding well. Doh! :D

The annoying stop/start traffic slog back through town, smelling fast food with a hunger knock didn't help, but you know what it's like on the 'home leg' - you just don't consider stopping. I crawled on the roads out of town towards home and was written off for a good 3-4 hours afterwards. What a waste of an afternoon! ;) :rolleyes:

I just replaced my tyres with Impac Streetpac 26x1.75, the inflation recommendation on the tyre wall states 35-60psi, what should I inflate them to?
As @Saytan says, go from roughly the 60-70% of the max and bias up/down depending on your weight, what you're riding, general conditions and what you want from them...

I'm guessing from the tyres you've chosen and the size, it's a hybrid tyre and you're doing inner city commuting. so if the road surfaces are generally good and you're only riding tarmac then go for more PSI (less rolling resistance, faster), but if you're riding some curbs/canal paths/rougher stuff then go for a bit less... etc

Had my longest ride at 72 miles, this morning, up round the Chilterns, really nice. Unfortunately I had 3 flats during the ride! I realised how badly worn the tyre walls of my GP5000's are (perhaps from so many flats!). They've done 2,500 miles, so I guess I pushed them too far. I've ordered some 'Continental Gator Hardshell Road Bike Tyre' which sound a little tougher. I was looking for Conti 4 Season initially, but they were out of stock in the 28's in most places.
They're quite scrubbed, especially for that fairly low mileage. You're either running them a little low, not topping up frequently enough. It could be from flatting, but wouldn't imagine you're riding far with them flat.

Continentals do seem to cut up though, especially in the wider tyres. My 28mm GP 4000sii are pretty scrappy looking like that but they've been though quite a few different things over a few years. I don't remember the 25mm's being as bad for it.

Gatorskins. You'll find them bombproof, but also hard as hell, especially coming from a GP4/5000. They're also known around these parts as 'skaterskins' due to the way they behave on wet surfaces. So just be aware and be careful. GP 4 Seasons are more similar to the GP5000 in feel, very supple and soft, but then again they cut up quite easily/well. Maybe not scrub as much as those have, but with the slightly different coloured sidewalls they don't look as 'bad'.

If you don't get on well with the Gators and sick of spending a bunch, then move away from Continental. I've got on really well with Specialized Roubaix Pro, the 32mm's I've run the last winters are one of the cheapest tubeless tyres there are, the 25/28mm tubed ones are even cheaper. A few here used the Lifeline 'Prime Armour' ones from Wiggle and liked them. At £15 each they sound like a steal, even in 28mm!

Gator hardshells feel like riding on old hosepipe
My damn Hutchingson Fusions feel like that at times. Quite hard casing. Annoying as they where expensive. They're quite grippy but I locked the rear up twice on a social ride this weekend on mostly perfect road surfaces so I'm not really building the confidence I'd like on them. Especially as I'm running fairly low pressures (45/50psi). Hate to say it after all the good press about them, I wouldn't recommend... Just hope they're durable. Mounting was a pain but now they've sealed they're very tight.

LBS (Cambridge Bicycle Ambulance - thank you!) were very impressed and explained it was a VERY snug fit ("yeah, that will probably never need to come out... We probably couldn't get it out, either!")
:D:D:D

Gotta love their honesty, just hope you can change the bearings easily on it without removal when you need to!

Last edited:
Soldato
I just fitted some new mavic aksium disc wheels, everything is good apart from the noise - both wheels sound like cage is being rattled, especially the rear when I change gear.

It must be the spokes, none of them are loose. Is this because they are brand new and need bedding in?

Does it go away if you brake? Check the disc bolts if they're 6-bolt. Check the CL is tight if not. Got the right size hubs for your frame? Thru-axles done up tight? Did they mount in the frame ok?

Other likely cause is the valve nut being loose... Tight spokes will 'ping' a few times on a new wheel, but that should be the end of it. Loose nipples from poorly made wheels will sound like that, but you would find the spokes loose. It'll be something else rattling when under load/weighted if a shake by hand doesn't produce anything (so not a stray nipple inside the rim).

Soldato
What's the CL?
CentreLock - for non 6-bolt rotors (shimano rotors mainly). But can see from your video they're 6-bolt.

Here's the vid - https://imgur.com/2vKtfk0

I removed the cassette and it still made the same noise, don't think it's the rotor either.
Hmm, weird. Hard for me to make out here (rubbish work PC with no headphones/speakers). Worth checking the spokes crossings like some mention in the cyclechat thread, seeing if there's some gaps between spokes. If so that's not very repairable. Bad build/design.

Mavic wheels are great for training - they're great at carrying additional water when it rains! ;) :D

Some scary things in that thread - either rim drillings are off or design is bad so there's gaps between some spoke crosses... If that's the case I'd say return them for refund and go elsewhere.

Even more scary the mention that Mavic got rid of the UK CS guy and the last post even saying they're going into receivership?! Not something I'd heard about or spotted yet. Possibly forum chinese whispers, but worrying if so.

Associate
Even more scary the mention that Mavic got rid of the UK CS guy and the last post even saying they're going into receivership?! Not something I'd heard about or spotted yet. Possibly forum chinese whispers, but worrying if so.

There's been a few posts on CyclingTips about Mavic and their struggles over the past few years, but the most recent post about one of their new 2021 wheelsets sounds more positive:

Iconic French wheel brand Mavic is hoping to turn the page after the tumult of the past few months, now that it’s finally found stability in a new owner. It’s doing so in the best way possible: with a new product that not only looks to be quite good, but is also indicative of the company’s more progressive approach moving forward.

I'm hoping so at least, as I'm running a set of Ksyriums!

Soldato
If you don't get on well with the Gators and sick of spending a bunch, then move away from Continental. I've got on really well with Specialized Roubaix Pro, the 32mm's I've run the last winters are one of the cheapest tubeless tyres there are, the 25/28mm tubed ones are even cheaper. A few here used the Lifeline 'Prime Armour' ones from Wiggle and liked them. At £15 each they sound like a steal, even in 28mm!

Some good info, thanks. I might order some of those Lifeline, just to keep about for emergencies at that price!

Soldato
I loved prime armour when I was commuting. Fitted a brand new set to that bike a few weeks before lockdown so I'll be using them for a while yet...

Soldato
Prime armour are great for the price but they do lack that upper level of grip i especially noticed it when it was below about 4 but dry they were noticably less reassuring feeling minor slips. But they do have great puncture protection to counter this. (the grip was compared to a gp4000 I had on before)

Back
Top Bottom