Road Cycling

Associate

Depends on your requirements and what you're riding...

Trace & TraceR are great 'be seen' type lights but I would say scout around for some of the older models as the newer ones (with ReAKT, Peloton and such) although good features have really bumped the price up. I'd go even as far as saying the TraceR (rear one) is a must have (considering your budget) - even though you'll consider it expensive and mildly disappointed when you get it out of the packet for how plain/small it looks... I've had mixed luck with my front Trace and although I love the TraceR's (have 4 of them) and really recommend them, I probably wouldn't buy another (front) Trace...

I would say going for a Cateye front is the budget conscious option if you need more than a 'be seen' light. Riding on country lanes (or pitch black in poor visibility) you'll want 700/800+ lumen at a minimum. The Exposure fronts (although superb) are not cheap. I got this Exposure set for my other half and the Sirius is a good light, but if she was doing more pitch black riding then I'd have got her more of a front... Her old commute was 5-6 miles under 95% streetlights, new one is 3 miles but 2 of that in the darkness so I'm getting prepared to give her my mk7 Race for it while I decide what I want next...

Sorry for late reply mate, ended up going with Lezyne Lite Drive 1000XL/KTV Pro Light Set for £60 https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cyclin...-drive-1000xl-ktv-pro-light-set/12116504.html

Different reviews say batteries don't last long, I am yet to test them fully. If they only last 2 hours.. then thats plenty enough for me.

Cheers

Soldato
@Angerer - I've had that Lezyne 1000XL front for a couple of years now. I upgraded it from the 800XL.
Both great front lights. Can't say I have ever thought battery life was poor at all on them. They're great for the money.

Soldato
I’m looking for a decent front too, how does the lezyne compare to an exposure strada, anyone?

Lezyne isn't a patch on it. But then it shouldn't be at the price differences.
Exposure gave us a load of Strada's for the NC500 record at weekend and they are superb. The mounting is solid and the light from them is just different level to cheaper options.... you really do get what you pay for with Exposure products.

I have their TraceR on the rear of my bike and the battery life on the thing is just insane. I charge it once in a blue moon it just lasts forever.

If you read up on the warranty/support from Exposure also, they are top class.

IMO if you can afford Exposure lights, 100% buy them. They are the best out there.

Soldato
I’m looking for a decent front too, how does the lezyne compare to an exposure strada, anyone?

I've got an Exposure Strada. If you go back a few pages on this thread, I posted how my Strada 1200 died after a wet epic ride in August. I sent it back to Exposure as it was still in warranty by two months - they sent me back a brand new Strada MK10 SB, so I got a free upgrade from 1200 to 1500 lumens. I'm looking forward to trying it down some un-lit lanes now it's getting dark earlier. The handlebar remote switch is useful to swap between high and low modes when a car comes the other way as I mount my light underneath my Bar Fly Garmin mount using the GoPro bits (so the switch on the light isn't reachable).

Soldato
Thanks folks. I have a blaze and the quality is good just wanted to check on the actual light quality. Has anyone used a mount to attach it under a wahoo roam?

I got my mate to machine me up a lovely mount for my Race Mk12 that attaches to the underside of my Canyon aero mount. Not much help I'm afraid, but get someting sturdy they are pretty hefty but have a great mount that you can potentially screw into for the biggerlights.

Soldato
I am tempted by a GoPro and the Hero 9 is releasing today. No idea what time at but it's coming today.
Front colour screen, bigger battery and next level of their stablisation stuff apparently. So sounds an actual big upgrade on the 7/8.

It'll cost a fortune no doubt....

Soldato
After some suggestions on changing an old groupset and what to change it to...

The other half has old Shimano 8-speed Tiagra (2300?) on her commuter and the FD is pretty toast (rust & corrosion). Rear is ok, shifters could do with changing... They're the ones where the cable enters the side of the lever rather than being under bar and she keeps knocking them screwing up the indexing. Scuffed as hell and the shifter movement isn't very good any more so putting quite a strain on cables. The threaded BB is still good but the cranks have seen better days. The corrosion on the old FSA arms/rings/bolts makes me think I'll struggle to get them off to replace with anything so will be a removal of cranks to change rings. So I'm playing with the idea of changing everything for her over to something newer rather than just buy a FD. Budget would be the main concern, so what I do with the shifters will determine really what I do with the rest of it. Guessing sticking with the square taper cranks (so keep the BB) would be the best bet, but do I go with keeping her on 8 speed shifters (R2000?) so I don't have to change the RD, then spend the money on some good cranks, or do I change everything up to 10 speed (Tiagra 4700)? Might be more deals on older (but new) 10 speed components than going for something new like R2000?

Some good info, thanks. I might order some of those Lifeline, just to keep about for emergencies at that price!
Yeah after noting that price I picked 2 up myself for the other half when she next needs tyres...! Although seeing her GP 4Seasons the fact they've done 2 winters and she's terrible about keeping the pressures up on them, they're doing surprisingly well. Minimum amount of cracking on tread and sidewalls look good.

Sorry for late reply mate, ended up going with Lezyne Lite Drive 1000XL/KTV Pro Light Set for £60 https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cyclin...-drive-1000xl-ktv-pro-light-set/12116504.html

Different reviews say batteries don't last long, I am yet to test them fully. If they only last 2 hours.. then thats plenty enough for me.

Cheers
Good deal for that price.

People talking about batteries on Leyzne lights are generally not talking about burntimes/charge - but the life of the battery. They tend to degrade so the amount of burntime decreases with life of the light. I've only had 2 of them and both of them certainly have that issue: (Macro Duo helmet light), equally the battery was kinda ok to change over, fitting an unbranded ebay £15 knock-off but broke the rear LED doing so, now it's mounted as a front light on the Chariot. My other Leyzne is a backup Hecto Drive 300XL I carry in my commuting bag for emergencies. 15 mins plugged in is enough charge for me to do a ~30 min commute, but it doesn't hold it's charge if I've not used it for a few months. Probably never used it long enough to really test the burntime decrease but it was only £16...!

The Lezyne is a cheap good light. They're generally slightly better made than Cateye (metal rather than plastic bodies) with generally slightly weaker LED's/non-focussed as not totally aimed at road riders like most of the Cateyes (which generally conform to the German/Euro lighting regs which are strict).

Exposure are premium lights, with features and builds to match. You won't be disappointed with the Strada. I love my Race, but really need to pick up a remote switch for it.

IMO if you can afford Exposure lights, 100% buy them. They are the best out there.
Agreed. They're a brand which are so good they encourage you to keep going back to their products. If I'm wanting a light and there's an Exposure in/near the price bracket I'll get one.

Thanks folks. I have a blaze and the quality is good just wanted to check on the actual light quality. Has anyone used a mount to attach it under a wahoo roam?
I had mine mounted to the underside of my K-edge combo with an ELEMNT on top. Worked well, but changed it back to bar mounted (underslung) as wanted my camera back on there.

Ordered the Strada sb from wiggle, I’ll have to look at mounting options. Cheers folks
My K-Edge combo XL has been rock solid over several years with an Edge 800, now an ELEMNT and an original Garmin VIRB underslung. Almost daily use and impressive build quality, but not cheap. Barfly are not cheap either. I bought my K-Edge as the garmin one then bought the puck for Wahoo from Mantel (I think, can't see it now but Sigma did stock them)... Some here.

Soldato
Wow, these GatorSkin Hardthingy's feel really slow! It's only one ride and it did feel a little like I had a headwind all the time... but it also felt harder work than normal. Most segment times were pretty slow.

So, I don't mind having a few tyres for different occasions :) What are people's recommendation for tough, but fast tyres? Maybe I should just get new GP5000's? Maybe I should try those Roubaix that Roady linked?

I am tempted by a GoPro and the Hero 9 is releasing today.

I went DJI for my last action cam, mainly for the front facing screen... a quick look at the GoPro 9 has me very tempted. I think all your money could be lost in all the accessories they have!

Soldato
They reversed their decision on dropping the small form factor Session yet? :D

Yeah session 5 was a great little thing but even a ancient second hand one now demands about as much as you can get a Hero 8 for... I've no idea who is spending that sort of money on ancient tech in comparison to the recent hero's but they are out there!

Back
Top Bottom