Road Cycling

Soldato
Does anyone know if you can apply the british cycling discount alongside a cycle2work voucher at Halfords? I vaguely remember it being discussed before but can't find it.

Soldato
Sounds like IS42 and IS47. Sometimes have to be creative with the bearing cap or use the old ones. That airevelo site is good or we get in headsets from mpart. Using enduro bearing I think.

Rsp from raleigh have IS47 too.
Thanks that really helps and pretty much what I'd got to myself was just second guessing.

Know of another resource like the crane creek tool where you can look up/compare the sizes and namings?

Haha this was literally in my home the other day as I tried to get to 80psi! :D
Haha! Tell you what, the little 'double action' Topeak hand pump I recently got would be good for that. It's short throw so easy to no wobble around as you pump and double action so you get resistance both ways. Although I'll admit it took me about 80 pumps to get a 25mm tyre up. Pumping furiously with my weedy arms, but very little change in resistance when pumping until I hit around 100PSI lol

Does anyone know if you can apply the british cycling discount alongside a cycle2work voucher at Halfords? I vaguely remember it being discussed before but can't find it.
Can remember a discussion before about using 2 vouchers there but can't recall which they where. Seem to recall that different stores did it differently and some you could get away with doing it, others not so lucky... Think the general T&C's/small print is vouchers couldn't be used together...

Soldato
dhb Aeron Tempo 2 jacket has been just the ticket for me since the autumn weather started. Super breathable and good water resistance.

Ribble sent me 4 Season 28mm in August last year instead of the 4000s II's I requested. I couldn't be bothered to send them back, so popped them on and have been running them ever since, including through summer. Excellent tyre, haven't had the slightest bit of trouble from them. They're definitely slower than the 4000s II, but it's to be expected given the type of tyre it is. Just like something I can rely on.

Anyone got any recommendations for for this time of year? Usually use Muc Off Dry Lube but interested if there's anything better- particularly something that doesn't need applying too often. Sounds like their wet lube leaves tar-like deposits on the chain which doesn't sound ideal.

Soldato
What's the best deal around for a power meter at the moment?

Stages 105 for £254 on mantel. Still wish I'd picked up the 4iiii for £185 pre corona :mad:
Still a good price. Got my 4iiii between those prices SH and have been really happy with it. It's certainly worth £250-300 and I imagine the Stages is too.

I am actually really tempted by the PowerPod v3... Was £250-odd on PBK a couple of weeks ago.
Not sure why you'd consider one of them, unless you where already riding with power and where TT'ing fairly seriously. They're just not accurate without frequent 'calibration' rides in the same conditions to use as a baseline, then all it would take is passing vehicles/gusts of winds to throw it's calculations out far enough that you'd regret buying a DFPM instead...

dhb Aeron Tempo 2 jacket has been just the ticket for me since the autumn weather started. Super breathable and good water resistance.

Ribble sent me 4 Season 28mm in August last year instead of the 4000s II's I requested. I couldn't be bothered to send them back, so popped them on and have been running them ever since, including through summer. Excellent tyre, haven't had the slightest bit of trouble from them. They're definitely slower than the 4000s II, but it's to be expected given the type of tyre it is. Just like something I can rely on.

Anyone got any recommendations for for this time of year? Usually use Muc Off Dry Lube but interested if there's anything better- particularly something that doesn't need applying too often. Sounds like their wet lube leaves tar-like deposits on the chain which doesn't sound ideal.
I didn't find the Tempo breathable enough for the type of riding it seemed designed towards - fast & hard efforts. The pit vents where too small and it needed some other way of getting air into the torso. It needed some other vents, probably zip-able on the front and flapped on the back, like their more casual jackets. I found it almost as sweaty as a rain cape, just glad it sold well online and I got my money back. I've long been a fan of DHB jackets/winter tops, I've owned 5 of them, but have found their Aeron/ASV/Pro line kinda missed the mark for me (usually due to ventilation/features rather than fit/quality).

The 4 Seasons are a great tyre, I found them almost as soft as the 4000sii, but have only ridden both in 25mm. The 4000sii in 28mm I didn't rate. They seemed to age fast, damage and scrub up really easily at lower PSI. The 25mm did not do the same. I actually have a new pair of 4 Seasons in 28mm I've never fitted. A friend was interested, but recently he's stopped riding. Now really should be the time to sell them, anyone looking for any?! :D

I'm using Finish Line Green and it has been my autumn/winter/wet lube for many years. It does really gunk up, but nothing else I've tried has the same 'staying power' when things get darn right wet, salty and dirty. Recently I picked up Muc Off Wet, due to price/deal/stock so will be moving over to it once the current bottle of Green runs out. I've been using the Muc Off Dry through the summer this year and really like it, so fingers crossed...

Soldato
I cannot remotely fathom why you would need such a thing but fair enough.

And if it's inch flat, I doubt that thing will have time to register it before the tyre is completely flat anyway.

How much was half price if I may ask? (too lazy to look up RRP atm)

Soldato
I'm forever looking down at my rear tyre while riding, wondering if it feels a little low, worried I'll get another pinch flat. This just means I can see all the time what both pressures are. It's not to tell me if I actually have a flat...

Also, twice in the last month my front seems to have dropped to about 40psi, but most times it seems fine. I don't really get what's happening. Is it a slow puncture, is something happening at some point to drop a load of air? This will make it easier to see what's happening.

RRP is £200.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I'd actually gone looking for a product to do this a few months back and come across these, but at £200 I wasn't going to do it. For £100 though (a friend won them but they aren't compatible with his Garmin unit) I thought I'd take the plunge.

Soldato
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cyclin...-3d-power-meter-105-r7000-black/12104435.html £275 with the current TOP10 promo code.

Edit: discount limited to £25

I am actually really tempted by the PowerPod v3... Was £250-odd on PBK a couple of weeks ago.

Still a good price. Got my 4iiii between those prices SH and have been really happy with it. It's certainly worth £250-300 and I imagine the Stages is too.

Cheers guys. Corona has made most things gild there price at the moment.

It will be going on my felt with the shimano chainset rather than any of the Cannondale I'll be riding.

Will get one ordered once I move house, might be able so save a little more if I can get a staff purchase. Margins can be really poor though.

Would like to get my FTP up to around 350w for TTs next year. 20-25 minutes at least for doing a 10.

Back
Top Bottom