Road Cycling

Soldato
Is that a bb86 to BB30 bearing?

4130 rotor. Housing completely sheared. Sounded awful had a look could see something wasn't quite right and it came apart like that.

The left bit should be on the right the opposite way round. I'll get some more pictures tomorrow. Glad I didn't pay full price as its the ceramic bb too.

Soldato
Aye that's what I was trying to remember. 41mm BB86 to BB30.

They aren't a very good solution, I've got a wheelsmfg one in the shop as I thought they were a pair at £45 but that is each!!

Soldato
I'm forever looking down at my rear tyre while riding, wondering if it feels a little low, worried I'll get another pinch flat. This just means I can see all the time what both pressures are. It's not to tell me if I actually have a flat...

Also, twice in the last month my front seems to have dropped to about 40psi, but most times it seems fine. I don't really get what's happening. Is it a slow puncture, is something happening at some point to drop a load of air? This will make it easier to see what's happening.

RRP is £200.
Pinch flat paranoia! Another good reason to go Tubeless on a road bike.... ;)

To be fair, as you're 'only' a road rider, relatively new to cycling and had a few issues then just go towards the higher range of pressures. It'll reduce the worry, you'll obviously experience a little less comfort (or a lot depending on your undercarriage), but will gain quite a bit more confidence and trust in your wheels/tyres as they're just feel harder too. It's probably worth the trade off for you at this point.

I remember the DCR review on the Tyrewiz. Great little gadget, crazy high price, but hard to justify for most of us. I'll pick some up when they auto-inflate the tyre to a set pressure. Or auto-detect the surfaces you're riding on and somehow change pressures on the fly as you ride to compensate. Don't some 4x4's do that already? I think some of the top end cars can auto inflate? Smart tyres on bikes, anyone?! :D

It will be going on my felt with the shimano chainset rather than any of the Cannondale I'll be riding.
To be fair when I was looking at alternatives to the £600-700 PWM, then changing BB and cranks for ~£200-250 was a no brainer as it opened up the cheaper crank arm PWM options. Now I'm on Shimano R8000 cranks I don't think I want to ride anything else (having previously ridden FSA Gossamer, Praxis Zayante and several versions of earlier Shimano 105). To me it just feels totally stiff, solid and is incredibly light compared to the others. For not crazy prices.

Er, I don't think this should be like that....Epic fail.

EafSGPs.jpg
Doh! Damn thats a fair crack. Quite surprised it would crack the outer race like that rather than the balls or just wearing the balls and races. But I guess it's the pressure of it which cracks it (no space to bend) before things wear away enough to relieve things...

Glad I didn't pay full price as its the ceramic bb too.
That's a ceramic bearing? Doesn't look it (not that I've seen or pulled one apart).

Haha good shout mate. Is that the left hand cup?

Wonder if it's due to the loads placed on the inner race due to the way gxp works.
Does the NDS bearing in GXP take lateral loads from both sides as it's 'fixed' in place? Think that's what the Praxis did, for me it just wore out the NDS bearings quite quick, while the DS was totally fine.

is that a wheel bearing ?
BB bearing. Clue is in the size, wheel bearings are quite a bit smaller and have quite a bit thinner races with smaller balls all crammed together (and @SoliD would have to have tiny weeny hands!) :D

BB sizes mentioned afterwards the main giveaways - BB86, BB30 & GXP are all BB standards.

Soldato
What sizes did you get off the bearings?

Loads of brands use different sizes for different sized frames. 1 1/4"(47mm IS47) on smaller bikes and 1 1/2"(52mm IS52) on larger bikes.

Specialized are one of the only brands that use 1 3/8"(49mm IS49).

https://www.airevelobearings.com/product/specialized-s-works-tarmac-headset-kit/

Bottom bearing OD
g92PGIol.jpg

Bottom bearing ID
i6p5fQLl.jpg

Top bearing OD
vP2cITwl.jpg

Top Bearing ID
Hwm8WY9l.jpg

The step on the bottom bearing is bizarre, never seen a bearing like it.

iZhqOdLl.jpg

Soldato
If there's a chamfer inside then you're looking at IS49 1" 3/8 on the bottom and IS42 on the top. New crown race supplied with it to suit the 45 degree chamfer rather than the rounded shape you have for the ball bearing. The top could well be an IS41 usually you'd be under 41mm rather than over and closer to 42mm.

A few bikes come with the style you have with a loose caged ball bearing in it. Knock the cups out and fit an integrated cartridge bearing is an upgrade. The semi integrated/zero stack style you have doesn't really have a size you have as a standard. Usually ZS44 for 1 1/8 and ZS55/56 for 1 1/2". There's a ZS52 which is rare as ****. Never came across ZS49.

All the numbers are milimeters.

It probabaly saves them a dollar per frame or something. Don't apply logic to the bike industry or else we would have bikes at £3k with wheels actually worth riding, bearings that last more than a season in the UK and proper sized bolt heads instead of 2/3mm shallow allen heads that are 100% going to seize after a winter up here in the North.

Back
Top Bottom