Road Cycling

Associate
My interpretation was that you can only meet one other outside for exercise or with your household. There must be a lot of 50+ year old mamil households about judging by the weekend though I could imagine a lot of people are just unsure about the rules and decided to do whatever.

One slight caveat is support bubbles. If you live alone then I guess you could also cycle with a household.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...phased-return-of-outdoor-sport-and-recreation
Thats how I interpret it too. Max 1 other person from 1 other household.

Soldato
I'm not even in England or your lockdown and even I understand your rules without much digging/reading.
It was clear as day even just on BBC news. Outside you can meet 1 person from one other household in a public space.... not a private garden, public space.

People know the rules. People don't give a toss despite the repercussions of what they do smacking them in the face every single day in the media.

Soldato
Well, I managed to test the wheels this morning; there may be an ever so slow puncture on the rear but I've got a few spares.

Freehub is loud af but they do seem quicker to get going under acceleration, and while it's almost definitely psychological, it feels as if I can travel that tiny bit quicker with the same effort, before I have to put loads of effort in to accelerate further.

Theoretically, that should be true, but noticecable, I don't know.

Anywho, I'm most relieved at the fact that i didn't get another puncture :p I'd also changed the brake blocks as the old ones were dreadful. Significant improvement again

Soldato
To be fair @Roady is basically in Wales :D

(I can't say I've kept up with the fine details of differences in their rules vs us)

He's unluckily on the wrong side of the border, poor lad.
Wales basically gave you lot the finger and said you are not allowed in. I saluted the balls on them at the time and wished Nicola would have done the same :p

Soldato
My interpretation was that you can only meet one other outside for exercise or with your household. There must be a lot of 50+ year old mamil households about judging by the weekend though I could imagine a lot of people are just unsure about the rules and decided to do whatever.
Ahh, my interpretation of it was utterly wrong then, misinformed from the confused media rather than going to the logical source. Doh.

But that again does raise the issue - different rules for different lockdowns in the different countries. Baffling stupidity. No wonder the herds of mamils can't get it right.

Although as I'm now 40 am I officially a mamil?!
People don't give a toss despite the repercussions of what they do smacking them in the face every single day in the media.
This. Idiots always going to idiot.

To be fair @Roady is basically in Wales :D

(I can't say I've kept up with the fine details of differences in their rules vs us)
Haha, yeah basically. I'm a mongrel/hybrid anyway. Born in England, lived 3/4 my life in Wales, but now living in England and considering myself Welsh. Just have to keep an eye on anyone owning a longbow...

But it is a 'risky' business around here, some roads skirting the border are not clearly labelled as such. It's easy when the border generally follows many of the rivers, but when there's illogical 'bulges' in it, which some good back roads quite distinctly go straight 'over' it's easy to not consider it and get caught out.

Then throw in the towns which sit right on the border (like where I'm kinda from, Presteigne) and people 'choose' where they say they live (even with a Welsh postcode and geographically in Wales), so choose which rules to follow and the whole thing goes out the window. Then obviously throw the bustling metropolis of Hay-on-Wye in there (geographically in Wales, post code English) which still has a 'King' and much of the town consider themselves an independent hippy/hipster state/country and not part of the UK at all, so no British rules apply to them... #facepalm :rolleyes:

He's unluckily on the wrong side of the border, poor lad.
Wales basically gave you lot the finger and said you are not allowed in. I saluted the balls on them at the time and wished Nicola would have done the same :p
Haha yeah, we where not allowed in. Then as now we're in lockdown we're not allowed 'out' to cross the border.

Welsh Lockdown was a joke. They all came over here instead.

Anywho, I'm most relieved at the fact that i didn't get another puncture :p I'd also changed the brake blocks as the old ones were dreadful. Significant improvement again
Result! :D

Did spot this tool when browsing around Tubeless stuff, should also be useful for mounting tricky tubed tyres too. Some new tool from Giant you run around the rim and it 'hops'/teases/gradually works the bead over the rim. Doesn't use pressure like the tool I have, so maybe less to 'go wrong' and snag a tube. It's cheaper in other places than on the Giant site or Amazon, but the pictures on Amazon show the use better than any others.

Totally unrelated but did spot this little neat Lifeline beauty too, a multitool which includes a co2 inflator. It hints it has a chain tool too, although can't see it in the pictures. Would be very neat if it did!

Soldato
First issue, I got the sync button for the Exposure lights... I think I misread... fairly sure they aren't compatible. A remote button is something different I think. Opened the pack, will see if Wiggle will take the button back still.

Had a test ride round the Herts countryside this evening. It's an interesting combo that I think I stumbled into, working great. The Race MK15 is like a wide angle light, wide illumination, good visibility. The other, mounted on my helmet, was a focused, bullet of light, working great as I looked around at my surroundings. Although the helmet mounted is half the lumens, it seemed stronger and brighter than the Race. The tap actually works quite well too. You don't even have to tap the light, just your helmet!

Soldato
Had better days...

15mins into my ride today, puncture. I replaced the inner at the roadside only to realise that the tyre is gashed. So I patch it with a boot and limp home where I replace my tyres a pair of new Gatorskins I had stashed. Out I go again and near the end of my ride I suffer another puncture and another cut tyre! Bad luck.

Associate
Is anyone still getting out regularly?
Last night I met up with a friend and we headed into the peaks. Did about 30 miles. It was eerily quiet last night for some reason. They've even turned some of the street lights off in the peaks. Only a light shower too, which was a bonus. Not be long before zwift is full time though :(

Soldato
DI2 guru's. Cables. Are they all compatible? What the f* is the difference with 'e-tube' cables and older ones? I thought e-tube was the module thing you got so could plug into PC?

I dispute that accusation. Try to avoid returning to Hereford as much as possible :D
Hahaha, gotta love a sweeping generalisation!

Also don't blame you, it smells and covered in mud at the moment from the last of the harvests. Also the few storms we've had the last few weeks and dumped leaves everywhere.

You were a mamil even at 30.

(I'm getting scarily close...)
Gwads dammit! Then it really is downhill from here. When can I have my midlife crisis to justify this?

First issue, I got the sync button for the Exposure lights... I think I misread... fairly sure they aren't compatible. A remote button is something different I think. Opened the pack, will see if Wiggle will take the button back still.
Ah, so that button doesn't just plug into the Race and work to change modes?

Is anyone still getting out regularly?
Does commuting count? :D

I'll generally be weather driven over winter/lockdowns, if it's dry and not bitterly cold I'll be out on the weekends when I can.

Associate
I try and get out a couple of evenings during the week. Once I'm out of the city it's pretty quiet on the country lanes, and I stick to a regular route so I know where the metalwork is and most of the holes. Weekends I'll be out if it's dry and ice free, I've come off due to ice before and it hurts!

Associate
I try and get out a couple of evenings during the week. Once I'm out of the city it's pretty quiet on the country lanes, and I stick to a regular route so I know where the metalwork is and most of the holes. Weekends I'll be out if it's dry and ice free, I've come off due to ice before and it hurts!

We tend to stick local but try to get out at least on tues/thurs if its not tipping it down.

Soldato
I'm considering picking up a used or relatively inexpensive bike to get back into some exercise. Ideally I'd want to grab something for a few hundred to work out whether I want to actually take it more seriously, are there any go to bikes for a beginner with a modest budget?

Associate
I'm considering picking up a used or relatively inexpensive bike to get back into some exercise. Ideally I'd want to grab something for a few hundred to work out whether I want to actually take it more seriously, are there any go to bikes for a beginner with a modest budget?

what size are you?

Soldato
Windproof softshell recommendations for this kinda 6-15 degree 'not quite cold' weather?

I've got a couple of DHB Windslam Blade 'jerseys' which are superb but getting quite old/worn now. One of the zips has started to go. None of the DHB replacements since have come close to fit/function/fabric of the 2015 Blade (I've tried most of them through the years). The general Sportful R&D Wind jerseys I've used lots other years are superb but a little too warm/insulated for the upper of that range (like we're seeing now), being more suited to colder 0-10 degrees. I have Castelli Team 'Winter' Jackets (design is like the Arctic /Transition jackets/jerseys) which again are a little too warm for this weather (although less insulated than the Sportful).

Currently looking at the Endura FS260 Jetstream II, but price is quite ripe considering I'm probably after several of them...! I've been able to get away with 2 tops so far, but with an increase in chariot days coming I don't want to double up too much and certainly not 3 days in the same jersey :o

Gwads dammit! Then it really is downhill from here. When can I have my midlife crisis to justify this?
Interestingly, have read with the new Tarmac SL7 the frames in the S-Works, Expert and Pro are all the same stiffness and geometry. Just with different paint and carbon used so the S-Works are lighter (800g) using FACT 12r over the FACT 10r (920g) frame in the Expert and Pro. Previously the Expert and Pro where slightly different geometries, not as stiff and heavier due to the different carbon layups. Not any more (according to their marketing). Sounds like the finishing kit and the wheels are the biggest changes between them. They all have the new (amazing) integrated bars for 2021. I'll happily ride a bike 120g heavier for a £6250 saving! :o

The expert even comes in this insane/crazy kinda oilslick colourway: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Tarmac-SL7-Expert-Disc-Road-Bike-2021/RE0A so tempting... *drool*

@Roady all cables apart from the first dura ace version. You want sd50s with the round plug. E tube is the software protocol I think.
Thanks! I'm guessing everything has to be e-tube compatible for e-tube to work, just can't in my mind see how the cables seemingly being no different makes any odds to e-tube. Pffft. Know you've got several di2 setups, used e-tube?

Thanks for the previous recommendation to look at other/older DA di2 before. It's working well so far for me - I got a set of 7970 levers & FD, external battery, mount and some cables. If I can pickup a RD for a good price, then it'll be a di2 setup for <£250?! :cool:

I'll be then set to convert the turbo bike to 10-speed di2, I'll then swap the 5800 11-speed from there over to the other halfs bike to replace her old 8-speed. Crazy it's going to work out cheaper than buying S/H mechanical 10/11 speed for her. I also have part of what I need to setup mine to di2 but that'll be 11-speed. I have di2 785 shifters and a 6870 FD, just want an 8050 RD so I can run a 34t rear cassette... Have no battery or control boxes for that so it's going to work out quite a bit more expensive than the 10 speed...

Would you take a punt on a S/H internal battery, or are they the sort of thing which fails/is buggy/problematic so always best to buy new?

I'm 6ft 2, no idea on bike sizes!
Really depends on your inner leg, you'll likely be a 56cm in most road bikes unless you have long legs which will probably push you to 58cm.

As for recommendations - get whatever you can find within your budget if buying new - bikes are still in quite short supply/scarce across the whole industry/country! Even better if you can find a S/H bargain, but again due to demand it could be easy to get caught out.

Back
Top Bottom