Road Cycling

Associate
So while working on my bike, I had a small accident and ended up banging my rear wheel against my stand. Turns out this caused a spoke to pull out of the hub, breaking the flange. I'm guess my only options are a new hub and wheel rebuild? Any other ideas?
0DGBszX.jpg
k5KNBco.jpg
anjYz1b

Associate
So while working on my bike, I had a small accident and ended up banging my rear wheel against my stand. Turns out this caused a spoke to pull out of the hub, breaking the flange. I'm guess my only options are a new hub and wheel rebuild? Any other ideas?
anjYz1b

looks that way to me. :mad:

Associate
Yeah, new rim tape in this morning.

Got a rear mud guard fitted too (was a bigger PITA than I had anticipated) and then realised I didn't have the eyelet needed for the front mud guard! I think I've got a 'strap on' mud guard I'll use on the front.
Which eyelet are you missing? On the fork crown or by the wheel?

Associate
looks that way to me. :mad:
Looks like it gets worse, these are Giant made wheels which use an OEM DT Swiss hub (360) which appears to be impossible to find. So I am now going to need a new hub as well as a whole set of spokes if I want to reuse the rim.

Associate
Looks like it gets worse, these are Giant made wheels which use an OEM DT Swiss hub (360) which appears to be impossible to find. So I am now going to need a new hub as well as a whole set of spokes if I want to reuse the rim.
I'd get a complete new wheel. Or see if you can pick up a giant wheel s/h somewhere if you're set on keeping the rim. Is the rim carbon?

Associate
I'd get a complete new wheel. Or see if you can pick up a giant wheel s/h somewhere if you're set on keeping the rim. Is the rim carbon?
Yeah Carbon wheels, 42mm, really good quality. Such a stupid, expensive mistake. I think going sh is the best option, I might get a cheap set of disc wheels for the winter and then get something nicer next year.

Associate
Yeah Carbon wheels, 42mm, really good quality. Such a stupid, expensive mistake. I think going sh is the best option, I might get a cheap set of disc wheels for the winter and then get something nicer next year.

you don’t have to get a like for like hub, you get get a 240 hub. V. Nice.

Soldato
Jersey for this weather.... I was in an old Rapha Country long sleeve today. Average 10c when I was out. No base layer needed.

I have a Rapha long sleeve club too, same label size but they aren’t (bought off the back of the country being so good). The club is thinner material & the sleeves are shorter. Need a thin base layer with it.

Id almost get away with a slighter thicker base layer and arm warmers. Maybe I run hot or work harder than others.

I have a Rapha Pro Team jacket & a winter jersey but almost never wear it anymore as it’s too hot, especially with UK humidity.

Soldato
Miserable/horrendous winds here over the weekend and forecast had said as much all week (so I'd pretty much decided not to head out anyway). Missed the usual Zwift group rides I'd catch as it was late sunday when I eventually found time. Missed a ZA hilly race by 2 minutes and ended up in a mega short 'Sprint' race as a warm up. Bad idea, really hurt myself doing that too cold and had to spin around for ~10 minutes afterwards to clear the cramp/strain. Hopped into a sunday night KISS race (a series I used to love) although 14 laps of a Yorkshire course I knew it was going to hurt. It didn't disappoint. Probably riding to my strengths (surge & recover), but with that many laps and kicks it was far longer and more repeatable efforts than I've raced recently. Great training but damn my legs are slow today now and really struggled to drop off to sleep last night! :rolleyes:

Used the Beto Tubeless Inflator I got on a bit of a bargain (£29 delivered) and really like it so far... Works well, better made than an Airshot - for less money! #winning

Have you looked at the options from Galibier if price is a sticking point? https://galibier.cc/long-sleeve-wear/ FWIW, I got one of their Sentinel S/S foul weather jerseys last month (Gabba/Perfettot clone for £60ish). Only used it once so far - that was with arm-warmers and a thin base layer in around 8 deg C . When moving and working I was fine but suspect would have got cold during a longer stop (though 8 deg is right at the bottom of their recommend temp-range though). I remember if being quite windy but the wind proofing worked fine.
The Sentinel looks great. I had thought about Galibier but really hadn't looked until you said. I don't really see a windproof 'jersey' in there, the only thing coming close is the 'Mistral' jacket at £69. Looks good but again high price and for similar I'd get what I'd been looking at before - more visible/bright designs for winter wear. They do a 'Mistral Pro' which might be more suited, less 'jackety' but currently in limited sizes and a note there's a new version coming in 2021... Although it's still quite lot darker (front) than I'd generally choose for a winter jersey, but I do tend to pair them with the gilets I have to give that anyway.

Here we go -

we4nWZk.jpg
Is it 'tape' so actually stuck to the rim? If so I'd be making a complaint about that and listing all the costs you've had repairing innertubes, the inconvenience of being stranded etc etc. Really shouldn't have been taped/built/left like that. Zero QA (if it left a factory like that)!

Looks like a new derailleur then .. 9 speed commuter, so considering claris r2000/ sora 3000 or a 2nd hand deore xt.
They're all crazy money at the moment. It's almost cheaper to go up to 11 speed. I eventually tracked down a used 4600 FD for my other half, but it took a week or two of scouting the bay to get one for under £15! In the meantime I'd fitted her with an old 5800 but it is rubbing a bunch, but I probably fitted quite a wide tough chain last time...

What wheels and are you sure the hub hole is actually broken enough to not hold a spoke? Part of the flange came off?

you don’t have to get a like for like hub, you get get a 240 hub. V. Nice.
Or a 350 for a cheaper option to a 240. Have not heard a huge amount of road feedback about them but tons of the MTB crowd love them and nearly went that way myself.

The ones halfway up the inside of the fork legs can be used for mudguards. Bit of bending and cutting but it'll work.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIHhAB&usg=AOvVaw1vtRGciKTg6yvzEtqdKiFK
Good shout, it's worth tracking down a manual for your bike at times to check the mounting points available. For example my Specialized frame actually has 3 options for the fork and 3 for the rear, depending on the guards used and stay options/lengths available.

Associate
I know a few people have asked, so sorry if I'm treading old ground here, but I'm after a not too expensive (seems in the cycling world - there's no such thing ha!) jacket to keep the wind off. I don't tend to go out in the rain, but just now a base layer and regular jersey are not quite keeping the wind chill off me. Hopefully something I can take off and chuck in a pocket during efforts, but that might be asking too much.

Seen the Rapha MEN'S PRO TEAM LIGHTWEIGHT WIND JACKET but not in stock, and ideally would like to spend around £50ish. Any ideas? Thanks all.

Soldato
I know a few people have asked, so sorry if I'm treading old ground here, but I'm after a not too expensive (seems in the cycling world - there's no such thing ha!) jacket to keep the wind off. I don't tend to go out in the rain, but just now a base layer and regular jersey are not quite keeping the wind chill off me. Hopefully something I can take off and chuck in a pocket during efforts, but that might be asking too much.

Seen the Rapha MEN'S PRO TEAM LIGHTWEIGHT WIND JACKET but not in stock, and ideally would like to spend around £50ish. Any ideas? Thanks all.

Galibier?

https://galibier.cc/product/ventjacket/ - £40

They also have the Tourmalet and Mistral jackets which are waterproof rather than wind but are £60ish.

Limited sizes in anything but white, but there's also the Sportful Hot Pack 6 jacket:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-hot-pack-6-jacket

Soldato
Is it 'tape' so actually stuck to the rim?

No, I could pull it off quite easily.

So, todays 36 mile ride was going great until 2.3 miles out and I notice my pressure down at 30 an dropping. I pulled over, checked the tyre outside and the wheel rim, both seemed fine. I switched in a new tube and set off. Within a mile it's going down again, so I just walked the last mile home! How do I get so many punctures?!?!?

Could it be these CXR wheels aren't suitable for 100psi road tyres? I am tempted to just buy some new road wheels for it. It would then be relatively easy to swap from road to off road by just changing wheels at least.

Decent road wheels (on spindles) for under £200?

Soldato

spring has broken inside the derailleur trapezoid, I don't know how I did it, but I suddenly found it was stuck in gear and the shifter didn't work

I thought I'd be able to drive the pin out from the other side, open it up, and transplant a spring from an unused front mech.

But I just don't get it ? drilled half way through, from the other side, through the outer plate, through the hole in middle of the steel piece,
but its all alloy so far, and no sign of the top of a hardened pin, to knock .. how the hell does it work

Looks like a new derailleur then .. 9 speed commuter, so considering claris r2000/ sora 3000 or a 2nd hand deore xt.

drilled from the pin head side too, pin, surprisingly, made of similar alloy to body, but nonetheless unable to remove/lever it out ... so it's a dead mech.

found that the cable clamp bolt, with upper clamp removed, could be screwed in, like a grub screw, to block the trapezium, so I have a two speed bike, one rear cog, until new mech arrives

Soldato
No, I bought.... the other type (spindle? quick release?). Lesson learnt perhaps (especially as I actually have some half decent spare through axel wheels, should I look into a conversion kit to quick release?) but my options became limited with the scarcity of bikes still.

**EDIT** Is it as simple as this?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom