Road Cycling

Soldato
Nice stats there Andy.

Anyone recommend some good winter gloves? Want a bit of padding in the palms and wind proof. I suffer from cold hands so erring on the side of too warm would be preferable.

Soldato
Rapha deep winter are my favourite for the extreme cold and I sized up and put on the dhb silk liner things when it's really cold!

Up to 311k on festive 500 now, cold again this morning but better than yesterday. Had a huge sidewall blowout this morning about half way round, managed to chuck a bar foil wrapper in it which did the job but only had about 50psi in it and this was still bulging the inner tube out a bit, but got home fine. Club are running reliability rides to complete when you want each month and managed to get the puncture repaired in double quick time and still get round the route at 17.4mph average. Swear I'm having to push out an extra 10% of Watts to push all my clothing round each ride. Had leg warmers and over bib traouers doubling ip and 3 layers up top.

Soldato
Swear I'm having to push out an extra 10% of Watts to push all my clothing round each ride
I swear all my sodden clothing after a ride earlier weighed a good 2kg!

Can't really be arsed for Festive 500 this year either. Lacked motivation for long rides a lot of this year.

Soldato
That's actually about right, can't remember where I saw it but they got sodden clothing and compared it to water resistant stuff like castello nano or something and differencd was about 2kg.

Tbh I'm the same, that 4 hours yesterday is about the limit I can do on my own now. How I used to entertain myself for 6 hours or so I don't know! Think today is a bit of a write off, will probably go for a spin for an hour in a break in the weather, and hope it perks up to get another 100k in tomorrow then just finish it off with norm training rides Wednesday and Thursday after work.

Soldato
Pretty rubbish there is no leaderboard for the Festive 500 this year. I don’t care about competing but it was nice to see what your friends were up to. :/

Yeah I noticed that when trying to work out how far I'd gone! Same as you, always good to see who attempts it and how they get on. But then it's same as adding virtual rides. Not really festive 500 is it. Although the whole festive 500 was partially going on some group rides/riding to relatives and that can't happen this year...

Soldato
That's actually about right, can't remember where I saw it but they got sodden clothing and compared it to water resistant stuff like castello nano or something and differencd was about 2kg.

I had my Gabba on but it's a long time since it retained any water resistance. Tried nikwax etc but no luck. It's still good for general wind protection but rather awful once it gets wet. Keeps you cold too!

Soldato
I had my Gabba on but it's a long time since it retained any water resistance. Tried nikwax etc but no luck. It's still good for general wind protection but rather awful once it gets wet. Keeps you cold too!
Try giving it a low heat iron, apparently helps to reactivate the barrier.

Associate
soooo after yesterdays traumatic events, the washing machine decided to eat all my winter thermal cycling gear, i got out and did 45k in short bibs and a wind breaker... f cold haha

today i managed to get out and do 75k in the morning, needed to go back and change wet socks and boots, hit another 45k in the afternoon to get me back on track.. I started to get a bit worried due to gritters being out and lack of light so called it a day. Now im on 290k but busy tomorrow.

I'm not sure what the weather is going to be like round your way guys but if its going to be like here over the next three days best of luck and be safe.

Associate
134 left on the festive 500, mix of road and Zwift I’m afraid, still I’m please I’ve managed this far! Getting up at 5am hasn’t been great but all I can do to fit it in with family time.

Soldato
Got my maintenance order in. Couple of 105 cassettes (turbo and road) a Red chain and some chamois cream.

Planning to wax my chains, for quieter running and cleaner on the turbo, and for hopefully less/easier upkeep and reduced wear overall.

I bought the molten speed wax to try and a small slow cooker. Not convinced by the DIY waxes, without any testing there are too many uncertainties, but I wasn’t springing for the new Silca wax or the UFO expensive stuff just yet.

Stock seems to be dwindling and Brexit uncertainty cutting off the German websites. I was holding out for a discount code but none seemed to appear and the cost was as cheap as I had seen since the start of Dec no change.

Back
Top Bottom