1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Cycling

Discussion in 'Pedal Powered' started by FrenchTart, 29 Jun 2016.

1. xdcx

Mobster

Prep of the chains before waxing is more important!
    Degrease for 24 hours and then ultrasonic bath. Dry for 24 hours and then MSW in the cooker.

If you do it properly, you will be VERY impressed and never go back to cave man lubes ;)

2. lordrobs

Capodecina

I wouldn't recommend you try it but it appears that the IPX7 rating of an elemnt Bolt is enough for it to survive a run through the washing machine :o

I did wonder what that clunking sound was :rolleyes:

3. Saytan

Mobster

IPX7 covers submerging, up to 1m, and for up to 30 minutes, so i reckon you're lucky

4. labbby

Wise Guy

this. ultrasonic baths are one of my best purchases

5. Berger

Capodecina

I have listened and read a lot. Mostly referencing cyclingtips website and Silca podcast.

Three bottles of white spirit and successive dunking/shaking of the bottle gives you a result which is 95-99% as good.

Introducing the ultrasonic can give better results but it does depend on the model and liquid used, and it then introduces a whole lot of new variables!

Noted on the drying. CRC haven’t processed yet and RM have lost my wax seemingly. Amazon managed to get me a slow cooker & thermometer next day though...

6. One More Solo

Capodecina

@xdcx what do you use for degreasing?

7. Lethal`

Soldato

I got given a slow cooker for Christmas. @Berger you might have given me a real use for it.

8. Berger

Capodecina

Hahah the 1.5L ones are recommended for waxing just because you need less volume.

If you’re home making then a large quantity won’t cost as much as purchasing off the shelf so you’d get away with a bigger pot.

Mines a £15 one, probably one of cheapest bits of cycling equipment you’ll ever buy unfortunately! :o

9. xdcx

Mobster

Morgan Blue.
    I buy 3/4 of the big bottles at a time when I spot it cheap enough. It's just the best liquid but good bottle and sprayer so I can't see beyond it and will stick with. Love the stuff.

10. Indigo

Wise Guy

Given a Rapha voucher for Christmas so thinking of getting one of the more affordable jackets with it.

Anyone have experience and recommendation of the Core Rain Jacket II, Commuter, and Lightweight Commuter jackets at all?

Would mostly be used as a pack able for changing weather conditions rather than going out when it's already raining if that makes a difference. Thinking the Lightweight or the Core Rain will be best options for this?

11. SoliD

Capodecina

I have the first core rain jacket and it is great for chucking in the pocket and is quite nice race fit too.

12. Indigo

Wise Guy

When you say race fit is it worth sizing up a touch? I've packed on some pounds anyway but usually wear a M Rapha Core Jersey.

13. labbby

Wise Guy

I use AV gas for degreasing chains and cassettes :D one ultrasonic bath to clean the other to apply

14. SoliD

Capodecina

Just buy the size you wear in Jersey, if it doesn't fit swap it. Rapha make that easy to do.

15. GSVBagpuss

Mobster

Can thoroughly recommend the board game Flamme Rouge! Got it for Christmas and the family have played it every day since. It’s quick to play and easy to get the hang of plus it does a go’s job of mimicking real life racing tactics

16. touch

Capodecina

I also got it for Christmas. Not opened it yet. Just me + gf stuck at home now, is it worth playing 2-player or best to wait until we can have visitors again?

17. GSVBagpuss

Mobster

It’s a bit better with more riders on course but we’ve played 2 player games happily

18. Drollic

Mobster

Can anyone tell me how a 'year in sport' from Strava would be completely out of line with someones profile statistics in terms of time spent, mileage, elevation etc? Or have they just used another persons screenshot :D

19. Indigo

Wise Guy

Not sure if it may be something to do with activities that are marked private possibly?

20. Drollic

Mobster

Would they not still be added to their statistics on the profile page?