Road Cycling

Soldato
How does it look? I've had one big ring wear out in like 30k miles and the replacement took 10-15k... but weather conditions were generally much worse and I probably didn't clean so well.

I'm constantly flapping gears around even on the flat. I feel like that's probably why my di2 only lasts 2-3 weeks.

Soldato
Took my bike for a service last week and the guy commented how worn the big ring was (I think about 90-95% of my rides I'm in the big ring) which has made me wonder if I should try and use the smaller ring more...?
Yes! Use it more! Even out that drive chain wear! ;)

To be fair most new riders do the same, I actually went through a 'phase' of when tired commuting putting it in the little ring and that got me more used to using it for general riding too. Now quite frequently when hitting a ramp I know I'll surge/kick up I'll drop it in the little ring rather than cranking the big ring. There's not a huge difference in cadence between Big-little and small-medium. If anything it feels more fluid to me as a straighter chainline means less frame flex.

When towing the trailer I'll always stick it in the little ring, just the spread of cassette works better and with the dragging force of the trailer a front ring change at the wrong time can mean ending up almost stationary. Same could be said for very rolling/rough terrain you don't know well enough to attack. You may spin out on some downhills but if you need to bail to your easiest gear at least you're not also changing the front ring under load.

I'm constantly flapping gears around even on the flat. I feel like that's probably why my di2 only lasts 2-3 weeks.
Is that all!? Ever tried a new battery?! :o

Don't suppose anyone knows if supertuck on zwift at 0w alters your average watts?
Which average are you looking at? Zwifts, ZP's, head unit or Strava's (or others).

Depending on configuration ('include 0s') and where you're looking at it will depend if it 'counts'. Zwift include it, so as Zwift data is output to ZP and Strava they do. PWM's and head units are generally configured not to.

Although Zwift questions best asked in the Indoor riding thread ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
They'll give "free" bidons if you pay shipping. A mate said he filled out the form and heard nothing.

I see this brand around London quite a bit. Kinda convinced they decided to see how many mamils they can get to ride around with P N S (note they missed some vowels) written on their lycra.

Soldato
a front ring change at the wrong time can mean ending up almost stationary.

Yeah, the few times I've had the chain jump off are when the Di2 decided to drop to the small ring at the front and I was powering up a hill... I should probably prepare better and get into the small ring when I know I'll be needing it.

Went out for a 50 mile ride this morning. First half was good. Second half was... okay, until maybe the last 5 to 8 miles when my legs just went and I had two reasonable climbs before home :( It's not often I don't enjoy cycling, but that last half an hour was not fun :( Really makes me think I have no hope of riding a century this year...

Last edited:
Soldato
They'll give "free" bidons if you pay shipping. A mate said he filled out the form and heard nothing.

I see this brand around London quite a bit. Kinda convinced they decided to see how many mamils they can get to ride around with P N S (note they missed some vowels) written on their lycra.

Funny story.
3 years back at Nat Hill Climb I had just joined a new race team and we had no kit yet.
BC rules on wearing club colours is utterly ridiculous especially at national level events so I had to request permissions from BC and the event organiser to be allowed simply to wear a plain coloured jersey and not team kit.
I didn't actually have any non team kit, all 6 jerseys were ex team ones :p So I borrowed a Pas Normal Studios jersey from my mate that I thought was just a plain red blank jersey.

The comm at the race had to inspect and authorise it before I could even sign on. I honestly had not even looked at what branding was on the thing..... so I show it to him on the morning and first thing he says when inspecting it = "ehhh is that supposed to say penis? are you taking the mick with this?"
So just told him it's just a brand like Castelli or Endura or something.

On the start line, the push off bloke starts in fits of laughter with the timekeeper.... "you're missing the E and the I mate".

I set the fastest time which stood for half an hour (before being obliterated) or something like that and the whole time "the penis jersey guy is still winning".

So aye, PNS stuff I don't care how good it may be or how Londony pro commuter trendy it may be.... it can **** off!

Soldato
I need to get that kit. I am a total penis :D

I've already got two kits to order this year as it is though. Bundy Ale kit and EKRC new kit with the shop sponsor on it from Bioracer I think it is.

Soldato
Rode indoors with my waxed chain. Nice and quiet, but yeah it made a mess first ride with all the bits flicking off. I have the big Wahoo mat so no mess on the carpet, I’ll vacuum it all up as it doesn’t stick at all.

Soldato
Managed to pull/strain/tear my calve on this mornings ride. It's interesting, it didn't really effect me much, aside one time I tried to get out of the seat to power up an incline. I really felt it then and didn't try that again for the rest of the ride. As soon as I got off at home, wow, I could tell how bad it was... limping about the place. Old massage gun wont turn on either, already been on to Amazon, who have issued a refund and ordered a RecovaPro Lite. Annoyingly the cut off for next day was 2pm and I ordered at 3pm. I've emailed them on the off chance I can still get it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom