Road Cycling

Soldato
I was a bit loath to pay £40 shipping and whatever stupid customs charge from the US. Can't find a single UK supplier and the EU suppliers are just saying lolbrexit.

Found this: https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/ex-1-disc-read-bike-rack/

Bought one from Amazon warehouse, with apparently just a light scratch. Think I'll combine with one of those seat clamps. Apparently Salsa are good. Not exactly sure how I'm supposed to identify the correct size for my seat? Just measure it? The seatpost itself is 27.2 but obvious adding the carbon tube it's more.

Hopefully it still works with non-disc bikes too.

I'm not a huge fan of the models that use the longer than usual quick release as getting a replacement isn't quite so easy.

Measure the frame but I'd say 31.8mm.

Soldato
Do you remove the chain each time? I've been tempted but in theory not supposed to re-uess SRAM quick link.

I guess I could buy a Wipermann Connex quick link.

I have a Wipperman 11sX on my winter frame which is removable. Spent the extra cash as I read they last a LONG time.

Otherwise I’ve used Sram and Shimano quick links multiple times without issues, I just use the Park pliers to break it each time.

Soldato
I'm not a huge fan of the models that use the longer than usual quick release as getting a replacement isn't quite so easy.

Measure the frame but I'd say 31.8mm.

Ah. That's a good point. I don't suppose you know of any UK supplier? I was hoping to install something this week as I might use it next weekend. The Axiom does look good but as I say hard to source :(

Soldato
Soldato
Can't see any really, it used to be Paligap when we stocked axiom.

This looks to be of the same design.

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/acce...-backrack-lightweight-mik-pannier-rack-p24332
Legend. That actually looks pretty neat. I'm well tempted... can get it in the LBS (Sigma Sports) too. The other is arriving tomorrow but it's Amazon and a warehouse deal. Probably just return unless it looks great on inspection.

Any idea for suitable bags? To hold a laptop and some clothing but might use for bikepacking in future too. I think for the moment I'll just strap a rucksack to it but would be cool to have a good solution.

Soldato
I managed to go out and get wet the only time it rained this weekend!<snip>
My Costelli winter bibs, the pad seems to be falling apart... can just see lots of little bits of foam when they come out the washing machine. I’ve probably worn them ~20 times.. I had this happen to an old set and chalked it up to bad luck, but a second time.. hmmm.
It hammered it down here most the weekend, just the 'dry' day (Sunday) was more showers & drizzle than heavy rain. Miserable!

Costelli? Cheap chinese bibs? Or if you meant Castelli I'd get them warrantied/replaced!

I have a Wipperman 11sX on my winter frame which is removable. Spent the extra cash as I read they last a LONG time.

Otherwise I’ve used Sram and Shimano quick links multiple times without issues, I just use the Park pliers to break it each time.
I reuse my SRAM quicklinks quite a bit. I don't generally remove chains, maybe once or twice through their life (which is/was short with me!). I've never had an issue, just replace them when they feel 'easy' to get together. Most times I don't even use a new one with a new chain when it comes with it if the old one is tough enough to get undone.

If you struggle to get them back together pulling as hard as you can by hand (sometimes have to stand on the pedal) then they're not really going to 'fall apart'. ;)

Don't really use them myself but ortlieb or whatever it is seem popular.
Used to use Ortleib saddle bags. Actually have a mini one I used for 5+ years. Great little bag and quality. The bigger 1.3L one I have I've only used a few times. But again amazing quality, but their panniers are pricey. Roll top is very much an Ortleib thing, but now many other brands do them too.

DHB/Lifeline did some which looked quite tidy and good price. Think Endura or Altura did some too, with reflective chevrons on. They looked smart too and probably much more affordable than Ortleib.

Soldato
Was nice to have some decent weather here in Herts today. Went for a ride with a friend that did some serious training through Winter and had to push quite hard to stay with him. (Mind you, according to WattsBoard I set a new PB for 20 minutes power :) )

Found an amazing new coffee & cake stop called Crumbs (in Watton at Stone for anyone else in this area) with some amazing cakes on show. I could have loaded up a Tupperware box and kept me going for a fortnight tbh.

DEcufnO.jpg

zp4TGn6.jpg

pPBUuAx.jpg

M5LIbG6.jpg

I'm also (I guess mainly to the increase in indoor riding) having one of my biggest months for mileage. My 6,000 target has been hundreds off for most of this year, but after today I'm only 4 miles off pace according to Strava! :)

Soldato
I'll have one of everything in that cafe please! :cool:

I've got a big stash of bars and gels in the garage from OTE, High5 and Torq (all purchased when discounted!) but if I want a snack during a longer turbo session, I've been buying Seal bars from Aldi. Complete Penguin rip-offs but you get 7 for under a quid!

Soldato
Weather looks good for the weekend!

Summer bike might be brought out of hibernation :D

Optimistic! Mines staying safe for a few more weeks but mainly because I don't have a pair of shoes for it currently as my missus is customising mine. Went out last night and main roads were dry but still covered in loads of grit and side roads had loads of mud about (from farmer fields mostly)

Someone came up with a course a few years ago down here as an homage to omloop, all the ascents of the local hill, I think its 9 times up which me and a mate are planning to do Saturday. So hope the weather is nice and may even venture out in knee warmers! (who am I kidding...)

Soldato
Ooh. I know those roads well. Love cycling around Chobham and Pirbright. Bagshot and Camberley on the A30 a little less fun.

Not quite sure it's warm enough for sleeveless jersey yet though!

Associate
Got my bike out at the weekend just gone and it was great. Bit of water draining off of some of the fields and a bit of mud here and there, but nothing a bit of muc off and elbow grease wouldn't remove.

Looking forward to getting out a lot more. Not time for no sleeves yet

Back
Top Bottom