Road Cycling

Soldato
Ooof nobody likes a crash! Healing vibes, good job the mech hanger broke and nothing worse.

Frost on my shed roof this morning, but roads weren’t too bad, did a 5 mile walk local to home & then tidied a bit in the shed, need to get some new bike hangers and tidy it up in there for the summer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Forgot to say, new chain and cassette on last night and a good service of my brakes.

Trying to hurt the Strava man I noticed my chainring is slipping :o it'll be getting 105 on there not ultegra :D

Soldato
Lovely long ride Saturday morning - pretty chilly when I set out though, need overshoes, baselayer and gloves, but by 10am I was roasting and had to stuff it all into my jersey!

https://strava.app.link/iXVbl9EQfeb

Cafe in Windsor was absurdly busy (to be expected tbf) some poor girl forgot to unclip on the road in front of all the benches by the castle toppled right over in front of about 100 cyclists :D

Need to find some new routes around here, always seem to head up Windsor way, but think there must be more to explore!

Soldato
105 chainring on ultegra spider? That's what I did. You can see how weird it looks above :D

Aye that's how all the cool kids do it :D

I'm such a lazy ******* with my own bike.

A few rides in gritty roads + turbo did this damage. I'll be flying on zwift with the new drivetrain.

I know the skewer is wrong, I've got 2 nuts on the left side so the bike sits centred on the turbo.

Last edited:
Soldato
A mountain bike.
An abominated Cube.
And Jonny's rustfest.

All awaited me on one page of this thread on a Monday morning. Time for another coffee.

Soldato
I'm such a lazy ******* with my own bike.
Just don't put that pic on your CV :p

That quick release position too!! :D
Wow!

Good thing xkcd doesn't have a ban hammer!

Cafe in Windsor was absurdly busy (to be expected tbf) some poor girl forgot to unclip on the road in front of all the benches by the castle toppled right over in front of about 100 cyclists :D
Cinnamon? It's always busy but it's pretty good. Nick, the owner is a nice chap. He's had a few struggles though with groups meeting up there and then local busy bodies taking photos of them and blaming Cinnamon :(

Soldato
Glad you all find it funny.:D

With my skewer in properly the tyre sits far too much to the left of the roller on the turbo. This setup makes it central on the roller. Worth the looks.

Soldato
Had a weak moment and picked up a Stages (for Turbo use, 4iiii out on the road). Both left hand crank arms, how would you compare them?

My current plan is to do a couple of rides on each dual recording alongside my Smart trainer, but as I've found that so variable recently I'd wondering how else I could do it. 2x 5-10 minute climbs 'paced' by HR with the same 'effort' on similar days? 2 loops of the same 10-15 mile route/circuit?

I've been dual recording a week or two the 4iiii after a few issues trying to get my Flux to settle stabilise after some issues. Still not there yet (235W vs 252W on a 1hr 45m race). Have heard Golden Cheatah can do comparisons but can't figure it out to compare 2 power graphs alongside... DCR has a tool but think you have to pay/subscribe to it? Anything else anyone has seen?

Ankle socks are a definite ;)
Talk about going too far! I dread to think what you actually do in the hot weather?! NSFW?! ;)

Even when I was heading out in the 30+ degrees rides last year/year before, I had arm warmers and usually a light gilet on...

Still a quality kit though.
HAha yeah I think we all realised it's all publicity, but maybe many hadn't realised why they got fined for the Palace kit. But then they're probably the ones sill buying the jerseys for £400 on ebay. Saw a pair of the socks sell a week or so ago for £65. Crazy.

Yes.. my suitable bag solution is a motorcycle tail pack until I sort some panniers and tail pack. Quite like the idea of this Lomo: http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bike-tail-bag.html#SID=115
As a firm believer in the posterior man satchel and advocate of carrying kitchen sinks, I fully endorse your tail pack. ;)

I'd just go up the right hand side and stop before the last van to avoid passing the solid white line (technically a red light contravention). This is just some of the behaviour that irks car drivers.
Same, for me I'd use the centre if I *had* to get to the front. But if just riding for pleasure I'd sit in traffic. These days I'm less worried about being 'first' and won't take risks for it (lets be honest those narrow gaps there are a risk if the lights suddenly change!), I much prefer to be 'seen' and considered part of traffic. So I'd join that queue in a primary position without overtaking anything. Only times I'd move up would be in heavy traffic when doing lots of filtering (then I'd use the right hand side due to how narrow things are on the left).

105 chainring on ultegra spider? That's what I did. You can see how weird it looks above :D
Looks perfectly fine!

Just don't put that pic on your CV :p
:D:D:D

Worth the looks.
Glad the monstrosity of the QR is done for the aesthetics of the rear tyre. WTF :D

Not quite sure I see what's wrong with the QR being in that position? :confused:
But you're a Triantilope. ;)

Soldato
Both left hand crank arms, how would you compare them?
Get another bike to the side, clip into both bikes (one foot in each left hand crank arm). Then garmin and zwift or something like that.

Or maybe more seriously.. choose a hill segment on Zwift and ride up it to the same time.

But if just riding for pleasure I'd sit in traffic.
There's also a bonus to this method - free motorpacing when the lights go. You don't get that at the front!

Soldato
Not quite sure I see what's wrong with the QR being in that position? :confused:

At my job I ******* hate humans who fail at the QR.

Wrong side, lever pushed hard against the frame, too loose, too tight, no springs, springs back to front, two springs on one side or so corroded it's seized inside the hub axle.

Back
Top Bottom