Road Cycling

Soldato
Or maybe more seriously.. choose a hill segment on Zwift and ride up it to the same time.
Good point, aiming for same segment times on something steep enough I ride it the 'same way'. Thanks!

1st proper ride this year last weekend, bar the odd potter about with my little boy. Wow did I bonk bad :D:( surprisingly recovered and ready for another now though
Keep at it, returning to riding is always going to hurt, especially if going that deep and doing that! Recovery may take longer too, depending on the fatigue. Keep going you'll bounce back well if able to bonk the first ride! :D ;)

@Roady isn't your turbo smart with PM built in?
Yup. But after some initial issues with belt tension and figures all over the place I changed the tension arm. It seemed to settle, then progressively got worse. I then found the issue with the collapsed bearing in the freehub, took that out and running 1 bearing got a massive boost. Replaced the freehub and got a drop again. Seemed to be stable, then started fluctuating again so found another issue causing the belt to slip. Changed the belt and fixed the issue, but it's still all over the place. Couple all of that through the cold/freezing nights I think was throwing the numbers even further. So I've gone the PWM route to get some stable numbers until the weather settles down a bit more and I'll see if the Flux then does.

But after a calibration on both (although another cold morning), I'm left with this:
4iiii to Zwift: https://www.strava.com/activities/4857395459
Flux to head unit: https://www.strava.com/activities/4857510173

Ah, then you're buggered unless you can borrow some vectors or a smart trainer to have a stable point of reference.
My point of reference has to be the 4iiii. It's been consistent outside so have to consider it just as consistent inside. Now if I can get the Flux consistent alongside it I'll be happy!

Guess just switch straight over to the Stages and just see how it behaves. With the Flux all over the place I should be able to judge fairly quickly that the Stages is consistent. Then it's just figuring out how close to the 4iiii it actually is. I may need to wait until the Flux settles down again before I can get to that.

Soldato
Unless you've got a known stable source you're just guessing. No one near you locally in the club that could lend you a kickr or neo for an afternoon, only needs a 30 minute ride to get good numbers to compare using the zwiftpower tool.

Soldato
@Roady - Zwift Power. On your profile go to Analysis tab up top and "create a new dataset". Let's you create datasets for comparison between fit files and pull over zwift event data as well if you have a dual from a zwift event.

Golden Cheetah - just open up a blank rider profile and import the two fit files. Go to the CP chart and you will have a 2 lines from both the files. One represented as best reported values and the other from the other file.

In terms of your sources being out. I've no idea on specifics of the flux but you need to ride it for 10+ mins, then do a calibration on both the trainer and the PWM. Then do a dual recording of some kind. It's all about proper calibration.
Sorry to say it, but 4iii for the majority of cases is a random number generator. They are ****. There are some good ones, I have a mate who has one that tracks well but for the most part in what I see on those single sided things is they are cheap for a reason and that's because they're mostly terrible.

EDIT - for file comparisons feel free to try my team mates comparison tool he is developing also - https://dblodgett.shinyapps.io/dualR/

Soldato
Talk about going too far! I dread to think what you actually do in the hot weather?! NSFW?! ;)

Even when I was heading out in the 30+ degrees rides last year/year before, I had arm warmers and usually a light gilet on...

Hence my point about sleeveless jerseys... ;)

We're very different people then :p in 30 degrees last year I was in the thinnest vest I could find, lycra shorts (didn't have bib shorts at this point) and ankle socks :cool:

And I was still far too warm.

Decided to go up to Richmond park today as assumed, being a weekday it would be fairly quiet... Nope :( so busy, and so many cars!

https://strava.app.link/ueS0nLYJieb

Still got 4 laps in then hooned it home! Was the perfect temperature in bib shorts jersey and long socks this time...

Caporegime

We're very different people then :p in 30 degrees last year I was in the thinnest vest I could find, lycra shorts (didn't have bib shorts at this point) and ankle socks :cool:

Decided to go up to Richmond park today as assumed, being a weekday it would be fairly quiet... Nope :( so busy, and so many cars!

Still got 4 laps in then hooned it home! Was the perfect temperature in bib shorts jersey and long socks this time...
I usually do RP once or twice a week and it's horrendous sometimes. Especially those recent winter days where the sun came out followed by thousands of pedestrians, cyclists and drivers. Really annoys me when I try and do a fast lap, only to grind to a halt right at the end by one of the car parks.

Christ your average speed is fast :eek:! What were your lap times at RP? And what bib shorts do you have? Need to upgrade my cheap cycling shorts.

Soldato
I usually do RP once or twice a week and it's horrendous sometimes. Especially those recent winter days where the sun came out followed by thousands of pedestrians, cyclists and drivers. Really annoys me when I try and do a fast lap, only to grind to a halt right at the end by one of the car parks.

Christ your average speed is fast :eek:! What were your lap times at RP? And what bib shorts do you have? Need to upgrade my cheap cycling shorts.

It wasn't as busy as a weekend, but it was still pretty rammed. Lots of people "sightseeing" whilst cycling on the road at 5mph...

Also had an old chap at the bottom of broomfield hill (I was going clockwise so going up not flying down it fortunately) jumping into the road right in front of cyclists and then shouting at them that they nearly hit him. A complete nutter. I stopped to have a chat with him and he didn't seem very with it, ignored me and jumped out at another cyclist going down the hill :rolleyes: weirdo.

I've noticed quite a big increase in speed over the last couple of months, training pays off it seems! I think I was doing about 20min loops today, was aware of the cycle there and home so wasn't pushing very hard!

Bib Shorts are Dhb Aerons. I think I'm going to invest in some Enduras though as they're not the best!

Soldato
I used to do RP a couple of times a week for a few hours early mornings. It was quite easy to tick away the miles. Just checking Strava and I've racked up 1500 laps on TdRP segment. Always avoided it on weekends besides for a meeting point.

I keep meaning to go back and try go sub 16 solo (16:15 or so I think atm) but it's really hard to find a good traffic level without taking risks or going super early. Did go super early once and did 15:34 with 2 mates though. With a good wind I think we could have been on for sub 15.

Now I've moved 20 miles away I have even less incentive to traverse Hampton Court/Kingston traffic to get there when I've got quieter roads out this way. My usual haunt now is the Drift Road circuit which many from London will know if they've ever ridden out Windsor direction.

Bib Shorts are Dhb Aerons. I think I'm going to invest in some Enduras though as they're not the best!
I really rate the FS260 shorts. I have the SL Pros too but prefer the FS260. Think I've got 3-4 pairs. Better than the Castelli and Rapha shorts I've got too.

Soldato

I'm very the same, I overheat too easily and I went out last week in shorts, long socks and sleeves. This is why I use arm foils though, I can whip them off if I need to. I can't remember the last time I ever completely covered my legs though.

Soldato
15-16 minutes, Christ on a bike. I was trying to get sub 25 mins (anticlockwise as I hate that horrible hill by the junction gate) last week :o:o:p
Which one? Up to Richmond gate? Sawyer's. Forever headwind. Good conditions is a light NE wind that pushes you up that hill :D

Caporegime
Which one? Up to Richmond gate? Sawyer's. Forever headwind. Good conditions is a light NE wind that pushes you up that hill :D
Broomfield Hill by the Robin Hood Gate. I have done it a few times but boy it's short but steep (for me). I find the ride more enjoyable anticlockwise (I start at the Roehampton gate) as the first quarter is a nice slow incline, the second you can absolutely bomb it down (providing there aren't tens of cars trying to park), the third has that nice short climb in the woods and the final quarter is a nice gentle sprint. Amazing the difference better weather and a spring-cleaned bike can make with lap times, bring on the summer.

Considering attempting my first 100mi this weekend - eeek!

Soldato
Ah yeah. I've probably only done a few hundred clockwise laps if even that much. Traffic is usually worse and you often have to stop at roundabouts.

Associate
Broomfield Hill by the Robin Hood Gate. I have done it a few times but boy it's short but steep (for me). I find the ride more enjoyable anticlockwise (I start at the Roehampton gate) as the first quarter is a nice slow incline, the second you can absolutely bomb it down (providing there aren't tens of cars trying to park), the third has that nice short climb in the woods and the final quarter is a nice gentle sprint. Amazing the difference better weather and a spring-cleaned bike can make with lap times, bring on the summer.

Considering attempting my first 100mi this weekend - eeek!

That's some distance on a hybrid. Have you considered investing in a road bike? So much quicker and comfortable for cycling distances!

Caporegime
That's some distance on a hybrid. Have you considered investing in a road bike? So much quicker and comfortable for cycling distances!
It's starting to cross my mind, yes. It's my first bike as an adult and my decision was somewhat limited by availability last summer. Nor was I planning to get into cycling so much - but for a hybrid, it's relatively light (10.4 kg) and I have done a few 120-135 km rides on it before without too much hassle.

Plus whilst I predominantly ride on the road, any chance I can get to go off-road - I will take it :D. The speed factor is the most appealing so far, but I can always get a 2nd bike/replace down the road......

Soldato
It was RP that got me into road cycling. I was going round regularly on my hybrid and just thought oh maybe I should try cyclescheme and get a road bike... 50k+ miles later... :)

But it was nice being able to hop off the road onto the tamsin trail too.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It's starting to cross my mind, yes. It's my first bike as an adult and my decision was somewhat limited by availability last summer. Nor was I planning to get into cycling so much - but for a hybrid, it's relatively light (10.4 kg) and I have done a few 120-135 km rides on it before without too much hassle.

Plus whilst I predominantly ride on the road, any chance I can get to go off-road - I will take it :D. The speed factor is the most appealing so far, but I can always get a 2nd bike/replace down the road......

This is what gravel and cross bikes are for! ;)

Sorry to break it to you there is n+1

Back
Top Bottom