Road Cycling

Soldato
Lovely morning for a ride. Did my fastest 100km chasing youngsters around Herts and Essex...

GxBG0jU.jpg

One of the screws that attaches my Wahoo bracket (Raceware) to the underside of my aero bars seems to work loose quite easily, so the bracket and Wahoo makes an annoying rattle when I go over uneven road. Any tips on how to stop it working loose?

Soldato
I’m after a new set of wheels, looking to spend in the region of £500. Tim brake, QR, road only, I do want tubeless capable.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Currently looking at:

Prime RR-50 V3 - heard a few complaints about novatec hubs which I think these have. Nice deep carbon though, definitely tempting.

Hunt Race Aero Wide - people rave about these guys but they seem to be a similar setup to Prime but with classier graphics? just branded Chinese bits which I’m not against but more novatec hubs? £380 as well which is nice.

DT Swiss PR1600 splines - these look very good but having trouble finding them in stock

Fulcrum Racing 3 2-way fit?

Victoria Elusion 42: https://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-elusion-42-carbon-clincher-road-wheelset-700c-225971.html these look quite good but Vittoria wheels wasn’t something I’d really seen before. Not seen much in the way of reviews either. £600 but I could stretch to it.

I’m open to anything really. I live in Essex so reasonably flat so I think a bit of deep section would be nice if reachable in my budget, all of these are a fair bit lighter than my current wheels as well which are vision team 30s.

I could go higher but I am reluctant.

Any experience or advice much appreciated :)

Soldato
Is a 17mm internal width rim really “wide” I’d have though at least 18mm now, looking at the Vittorias.

I asked a similar question a few pages ago. The wiggle wheels the hubs are quite poor/bearings. If you’re heavier or high power or poor roads then consider that.

Soldato
Hunt Race Aero Wide - people rave about these guys but they seem to be a similar setup to Prime but with classier graphics? just branded Chinese bits which I’m not against but more novatec hubs? £380 as well which is nice.

Currently I'm using Hunt Aero Light Disc, I've had them for almost 3 years now and I've no complaints. Some might find that the freehub is loud, but who free wheels anyway? ;)

Hunt also do a 60 day ride and return if not happy... I'm looking into another set of Hunts and making use of that offer myself if I don't like them.

Soldato
I've got a set of Aero light, my freehub failed after just a few months, I've dented both rims somehow and also snapped a whatever you call the tube that the cassette sits on recently. They've been great from a Customer perspective when I've had issues but my experience the reliability hasn't been 100%. Great wheels when they're working though.

Soldato
I've got a set of Aero light, my freehub failed after just a few months, I've dented both rims somehow and also snapped a whatever you call the tube that the cassette sits on recently. They've been great from a Customer perspective when I've had issues but my experience the reliability hasn't been 100%. Great wheels when they're working though.

I'm only considering Hunt carbon rims based on my Hunt wheel experience being so good. If I had those issues I'd think twice...

Soldato
So Sram Rival AXS drops, worldwide press release, much fanfare.

Google to see if you can actually buy it. And nothing.

Why bother building the hype so much. If it’s 1-3 months or whatever before it’s out then it will be forgotten about.

I am sure that if they had stuck to 11 speed, released Force22 etap and brought the price down that would sell a ton too. There must be loads of people in my situation with excellent bikes, all 11 speed, wheels, hubs etc who would upgrade to etap, but don’t want to go 12 speed.

Id consider etap on my summer bike and my TT if I could continue using all my existing cranks/cassettes. But I’m not changing all those, plus the turbo cassette/hub or having incompatible issues between other bikes/wheels, it’s just unaffordable and unrealistic.

Soldato
Agree entirely mate.

The industry is too quick to move on ans don't appreciate the costs for the guy down the line that has a few bikes.

Di2 10 speed Dura ace 7970 only compatible with itself.

Di2 10 speed 6770 phased out so fast for 6870 11 speed and then firmware locked to be unable to just replace rear derailleur/chain/cassette.

Shimano had 10 speed only wheels back int day with taller splines and ever so slightly narrower so no 1 spacer required.

trolleybus smileys]

Another one that gets me is the move from 104 4 bolt mtb cranks to 96 4 bolt. So close yet so far for no reason. I get the move to direct mount completely.

We're obviously looking at Dura ace 12 speed being on microspline and subsequently ultegra 12 speed being the same when it comes. At least the likes of Dr Swiss ship with a few different freehub bodies.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Shakeproof washer and some Loctite, If your a cheap ass some PTFE tape is a poor mans substitute. (Just dont keep the Loctite in the food cupboard as the Mrs will keep on asking is this for a salad.

(It never goes off if you keep it somewhere without huge temperature fluctuations :) )

Back
Top Bottom