Road Cycling

Associate
@manic111 i brought a refurb kicker core, it dosnt come with a spacer so if you are 8/9/10 speed. You will need to get one of them, some bike shops will give you one if they have spares or they can be a couple of quid.

I have a 10 speed cannondale and I just brought a Tiagra CS-HG500 cassette and my local bike shop had a spare spacer as I brought the cassette from them they just gave it to me.

Soldato
@manic111 i brought a refurb kicker core, it dosnt come with a spacer so if you are 8/9/10 speed. You will need to get one of them, some bike shops will give you one if they have spares or they can be a couple of quid.

I have a 10 speed cannondale and I just brought a Tiagra CS-HG500 cassette and my local bike shop had a spare spacer as I brought the cassette from them they just gave it to me.
Cheers!

Soldato
Brilliant, thank you! When I posted that the refurbed Kickr Core was out of stock, but it's back now so I may well grab it! On the cassette, do I just need any 9 speed 11/32 cassette?
The Core come in and out of stock quite quickly - good in a way as think it's a fairly accurate tracking of their stock levels. Now with the warmer weather they should be easier to get, fingers crossed...

As you're Shimano then stick with Shimano or SRAM branded. No problem mixing them, the HG shimano (non-series) will be fine and what I use on my other halfs bike with Tiagra.

Cheers @Roady. I don't normally stop on solo rides unless it's long (or very hot) and I plan to get something that isn't the usual on-bike snacks. I've spotted a couple of National Trust properties which are options, probably Croft Castle which is north-west of Leominster. NT cafes usually have good cake so a safe bet.
Agreed, they're probably good for it and there's loads around. There's a pub at Mortimers Cross a bit further along (The Grange) could be ok but a good number of years (15+) since I've been there. There's a good restaurant further north on that same road too The Riverside but you might have to book a table in advance as it's not massive. Can't recall how much of a beer garden they have as last time I went it'd flooded (5-6 years ago)!

For proper 'sit down' food I'd probably opt for pubs as they all have beer gardens so could likely sit with your bike at a table. For snacks/light bites I'd nearly always choose a corner shop or garage, rather than a cafe. Not sure why, I guess as I don't really plan to stop I just want quick service to be on my way again!

Soldato
The longer the wait for me to order the bike the worst it gets. Hopefully will be in a position to order from mid-august, assuming things work out the way I am hoping they do!

Originally I was happy with the base Canyon CF Ultimate 7 with the 105/Calliper. But that has now been pushed back to Feb-Mar22.

I'm now stuck as to what would be better for me - I'm a complete road cycling novice so i don't need much more than good solid mid-range. Last year I really enjoyed cycling and made a lot of progress through the summer but I didn't do any cycling though the winter so I had to build up again this summer. I now intend to cycle though winter as I'm sure it's a hobby I can really get into. But this then got me on the rabbit hole of disc breaks vs callipers.

If I got a bike with callipers would I, several months into the winter, regret not getting disks? I was considering the £2499 CF SL8 with the Ultegra group-set, DT Swiss P 1800 wheels but for £2949 I could get essentially the same bike but with Discs instead.

Would that be the wiser choice? Looking at a cyclescheme calculator there doesn't seem to be that much of a monthly difference between the two. I just don't know if I'm going classic 'all the gear no idea' route when I could get less and still have a blast. (I'm just a sucker for the Canyon looks. Not seen a bike that takes my fancy quite as much)

Of course this could all be for nothing and if my meeting in August doesn't go the way I plan I'll be waiting until next year anyway :o

Soldato
Unfortunately it's almost impossible for anyone to tell you if something is 'worth it'. Are disc brakes better - definitely. Are they worth £500... only really you can answer that. I don't know I would buy anything without disc brakes, but at the same time, if my budget tightens and I can get £500 off for going rim brakes, I'd definitely consider it.

Soldato
Pretty much agree with what AndyCr has just said, only you can tell if it’s worth it. I have three road bikes, two calliper and one disc braked bikes and to be honest I don’t care either way. The only thing that would push me over to disc is carbon wheels. Wet rim braking on carbon wheels is horrible to the point of being scary and on top of that the rim of a carbon wheel is sacrificial as the brake track eventually wears out whereas on a disc bike the wheels aren’t. The same can be said about aluminium wheels but as they tend to be much cheaper, the rim being sacrificial isn’t so much of a problem.

Soldato
Oh come on guys I was half hoping you'd just tell me what to do! :p

I know I'd be fine with rim brakes. My hybrid was hydraulic disks but my current bike only has 1 rim break on the front and it's only a cheapo Tektro one and it got me safely down Cheddar Gorge so I'm sure decent ones would be more than enough.

Ultimately I think it's going to come down to what is available. If the disc one is available and I can go the cyclescheme route it's only an extra £17 a month. My brain is saying that the disc option would be the sensible choice that should last me many years

I just want to get on the saddle and do some actual riding now. Doesn't help I've watched tonnes of GCN videos, the TDF and now the Olympics currently. I've basically tortured myself looking at everything and anything road related and as much as I love my fixie (I still maintain nothing is more fun when the conditions are right) it's not the right steed for he long distance rides I want to now go on

Edit: Sorry another question that I can't work out. It says the tyres are tubeless ready - does that mean no innertube or that the wheel is just compatible with tubeless in mind? I suppose the second question is, is that what I'd want? What happens when you get a flat? Are you just SOL?

Last edited:
Soldato
This. Mine is tubeless ready, but I use tubes.

Oh jeez... here we go :cry:

Ace, I'll stick to tubes. I'm not the most mechanically minded person but I've become fairly proficient at fixing a flat at the side of the road :p

Honestly the whole process is such a wormhole. I think I'm settled then all of a sudden "Oh, what about a bike computer?" It's never ending.

Soldato
I have rim brakes and carbon wheels. With this combination I would go disc next time. With a lead time of next year, I'd find it hard to commit this far in advanced. When do the next season bikes go on sale?

After my crash, my bike is now back in one piece and ready for a test ride. Unfortunately my eye test was cancelled this afternoon so will have to wait even longer for my glasses to be replaced. Also need to buy a good helmet again, what do people think of the more 'aero' helmets? Particularly around cooling? For example: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/MET/Manta-MIPS-Helmet/TH1N?id=1375176

Soldato
I have rim brakes and carbon wheels. With this combination I would go disc next time. With a lead time of next year, I'd find it hard to commit this far in advanced. When do the next season bikes go on sale?

No idea really. I think the dream may be over as I just checked again and now it says sold out. It previously said 'coming soon - september21' but now no idea.

Are there any other similar brands I could be looking at?

Soldato
No idea really. I think the dream may be over as I just checked again and now it says sold out. It previously said 'coming soon - september21' but now no idea.

Are there any other similar brands I could be looking at?

Ribble is always on my list of ones to tempt me. They are British too.

Soldato
Ribble is always on my list of ones to tempt me. They are British too.
I don't know if it is an isolated case but my friend bought one of their gravel E bikes and had a few issues with the quality of the bike at first. Bent derailleur and lots of chip marks in the paint which he had to send back once or twice to repair. He does love it other than that so I will give them another look but last I remember delivery times were at 31st of December!

I think I just have to accept bike delays are going to be a thing for the next year or so. I got lucky with a GPU. Can't win them all!

Soldato
I don't know if it is an isolated case but my friend bought one of their gravel E bikes and had a few issues with the quality of the bike at first. Bent derailleur and lots of chip marks in the paint which he had to send back once or twice to repair. He does love it other than that so I will give them another look but last I remember delivery times were at 31st of December!

I think I just have to accept bike delays are going to be a thing for the next year or so. I got lucky with a GPU. Can't win them all!

People said the same about Canyon but I've never had a problem with them, in fact, they were excellent with sorting out my crash replacement.

Soldato
Since i started cycling at the end of March I have done a few big runs out to North Berwick for fish and chips on the beach but I always just got the train home. Normally ends up being between 90km and 100km.

Decided yesterday to do the same but have lunch and cycle as far as I could home (however along the coast in case I conked out and needed to jump on a train haha)

Ended up powering on back home with a round trip of 173km :) Well chuffed but got sunburnt in the process and unfortunately ended my route during lunch by accident so strava is in two parts. Guess I need to do it again one weekend to log it is a full run! :)

Soldato

After my crash, my bike is now back in one piece and ready for a test ride. Unfortunately my eye test was cancelled this afternoon so will have to wait even longer for my glasses to be replaced. Also need to buy a good helmet again, what do people think of the more 'aero' helmets? Particularly around cooling? For example: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/MET/Manta-MIPS-Helmet/TH1N?id=1375176

Someone asked me the other week as I ride an s works evade and I actually prefer it on those really hot days as it keeps the sunlight off the top of my head and I find I'm generally cooler overall as a result. Yes there is less air flow but never an issue.

I've also got an abus gamechanger for racing and that's great in the heat too!

Soldato
Someone asked me the other week as I ride an s works evade and I actually prefer it on those really hot days as it keeps the sunlight off the top of my head and I find I'm generally cooler overall as a result. Yes there is less air flow but never an issue.

I've also got an abus gamechanger for racing and that's great in the heat too!

Thanks. Think I'll give it a go if it comes in stock first.

I did a cheeky spin round the block this afternoon (twice :D). Oh my god, it feels like I just got on a superbike for the first time when doing a handful of short sprints in the 700-900w range. It's only been 5.5 weeks since breaking my back but I have forgot just how the bike flies down the road when gunning it.

Back
Top Bottom