Road Cycling

Soldato
Clearance will be the huge issue for a propel, I'm not even aware you can get 28mm slicks on most of them due to the rear cutout?

You could investigate dropping wheels down to 650B and you'd have more bigger volume tyre options? 650B some CX tyres comes in at around 700C 28mm width (or so I've heard/read).

Soldato
He's a machine if his Strava rides are anything to go by! Good work sticking with him & congrats on the awesome pain face! :D

Strava actually gave me PRs for a bunch of segments I never rode before yesterday :confused:

Technically, yes it's my personal record but I thought it didn't register as one unless you'd beat a previous recorded time before. Maybe people complained they're not getting enough medals. I noticed this year the Gran Fondos all seem to have been 100km while before I think they approached more like 130km in the summer.

Soldato
Thinking of maybe getting into road cycling as I am finding it difficult to get out and about to Hamstely on the mountain bike...as I have the Yorkshire Dales right on my doorstep it is perfect to just get out on the bike straight from my front door.

Just at the research stages at the moment and weighing up road/hybrid options. I was however at Arthur Caygill cycles at the weekend. They are a frame builder and quoted me between £850 - £1000 for a fully hand build bike with a frame manufactured on site. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the frames from here?

Soldato
Where are you seeing them larger than 28mm? The only time I saw them & tried to order I could never get them.

Oooh, I was going on Continental's official site. Perhaps they're only available in the rest of Europe? Just had a very quick look and while the UK sites didn't offer them, a few German sites seemed to (Bike24, Bike-Discount).

Soldato
Yeah, I can see them listed on Sigma but that might have been where I tried to order them from. To be fair my experience of the usual goto road tyres in larger sizes hasn't been great. I was really disappointed with the Pro4 Endurance 28mm so didn't buy any GP4000sii's when I saw them on a deal, as they where still far too expensive. I will probably go Schwalbe One as hearing good things...!

New Strava layout & look. I'm on the fence, it'll take some getting used to but seems nice n speedy so will be an improvement.

How did we find the 40mph winds yesterday? Toasty warm but hard work!

Just passed 4000 miles for the year, only 500 to go and I'll hit my goal of 4500. Should smash it as I'm 429 miles 'ahead of pace'. Would be nice to hit 5000 and not far off it! I was 520 miles ahead of pace until a few weeks before baby arrival... I'm not going to bust a gut to hit it as I know my miles will not increase from here until the spring. :cool:

Quiet in here... Are we all in quiet appreciation of @Shamrock's pain face? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
18mph headwinds made my little hill climb training on the way home more brutal, but that orange grey sky was surreal, had my lights on leaving work at 1300! Lovely and warm though.

Sods law i appear to be getting over my manflu, albeit my hearing is a bit muffled, just in time for the rain fest that starts mid afternoon today and might last the rest of the week!

Soldato
New Strava layout & look. I'm on the fence, it'll take some getting used to but seems nice n speedy so will be an improvement.

Just passed 4000 miles for the year, only 500 to go and I'll hit my goal of 4500. Should smash it as I'm 429 miles 'ahead of pace'. Would be nice to hit 5000 and not far off it! I was 520 miles ahead of pace until a few weeks before baby arrival... I'm not going to bust a gut to hit it as I know my miles will not increase from here until the spring. :cool:

Quiet in here... Are we all in quiet appreciation of @Shamrock's pain face? :D

I'm not a huge fan of the size of the activity cards. It makes it quite difficult to quickly scan a bunch of rides and without commute filtering the interesting stuff will get missed even more. I can see where they're going though - making it more Facebook like for a more social experience. This layout certainly supports the 'posts' better.

I ticked over 8000 this morning. Feel like that should be more like 9000 but a few trips over summer and work stuff got in the way of making the most of summer! Might try and squeeze another 2k in for 10k for the year. If the weather is okay over Xmas I'll likely do the Festive 500 too.

It's clearly a big yawn from the slow pace!
Yeah. It was slow - looks like I didn't PR that section :p
Think my PR there would be on a previous ride when two of us tempted a Dulwich Paragon rider into a 3 up smash from Headley to Epsom.

Soldato
Yeah, I can see them listed on Sigma but that might have been where I tried to order them from. To be fair my experience of the usual goto road tyres in larger sizes hasn't been great. I was really disappointed with the Pro4 Endurance 28mm so didn't buy any GP4000sii's when I saw them on a deal, as they where still far too expensive. I will probably go Schwalbe One as hearing good things...!

Interesting you say that. I've always thought my 28mm Pro4 Endurance had quite a wooden ride but I put that down to being the trade off for extra puncture protection. That was coming from 25mm Lithion II's so not exactly a premium tyre :o I too will be going Schwalbe One next on my dry weather bike, probably give 28's another punt though.

Soldato
My previous experiences where with cheap Giant 25mm's (poor), Continental GP4000Sii's 25mm (awesome, but wear quickly), Continental GP 4Seasons 25mm (great, but again wore quickly), Mitchelin Pro 4 Endurance 23 & 25mm (great, perfect cost:life:grip), Mitchelin Pro 4 Endurance V2 28mm (ok, but wore quickly, worse grip & puncture protection than thinner) and finally Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28mm (tough as leather, great grip and cheap!). :cool:

I want to go up to 30mm as I've got clearance for them under my guards, really interested in tubeless at some point. There are only a few premium road 'slick' tyres (grip well & fast) available that large, most of the 30mm's are unproven and more 'city' kinda tyres so heavy & slow. The Zipp Tangente Course (28 & 30mm) are interesting, seeming to fit the bill but pretty unproven in the real world, also expensive. I may try them out if I venture to Zipp wheels I guess. I'm open to any/all suggestions! ;)

Guys, those of you with bigger torque wrenches (crank spindles etc), any suggestions/experiences? I need something that'll go over 40nM I guess. My current tops out at 32nM and is a cheap X-Tools, I need one probably 1/2" bit so I can use it for other jobs (car) rather than the once every quarter I torque my crank arms lol

Soldato
I'm not a huge fan of the size of the activity cards. It makes it quite difficult to quickly scan a bunch of rides and without commute filtering the interesting stuff will get missed even more. I can see where they're going though - making it more Facebook like for a more social experience. This layout certainly supports the 'posts' better.

Hummmmm. Not too convinced at the moment. I agree, it is harder to scan across a bunch of recent activities. But then, are you actually scanning across the activities you want? After a ride at the weekend for example, ill scan backwards to see what others have been up to that weekend, in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Not possible anymore. The activities initially showing in my feed are from 2/3 days ago. Maybe add an "order by" option.

I guess they're trying to show you more interesting rides, I get that, probably, overall a good move. But It doesn't guarantee you see everything you want unless you spend ages scrolling through.

I agree that commutes should be filtered out by default; and probably an optional filter for stationary rides.

I'll get used to it. :)

Man of Honour
OP
I mean, that would work, but before they upgraded to their shiny new look Facebook sharing wasn't on by default.

Yeah, it wasn't the most helpful post, sorry :)

I imagine if it's super annoying someone will create a Chrome extension to automatically untick it soon enough (or perhaps a generic version of such a thing already exists?)

Back
Top Bottom