Road Cycling

Soldato
^^ Please remove the visor before using that helmet.:o
Have snagged some elbow & knee pads over the last few weeks in deals, and some baggy shorts... So now all I'm missing is a MTB to ride! :o

Friend has said I can borrow his second and go for a blast around some trails with him one weekend, so I'm pretty much ready now! :D

Soldato
Have snagged some elbow & knee pads over the last few weeks in deals, and some baggy shorts... So now all I'm missing is a MTB to ride! :o

Friend has said I can borrow his second and go for a blast around some trails with him one weekend, so I'm pretty much ready now! :D

Roady's ready...

bubble-wrap-kids.jpg

Soldato
Haha how you jest... I was told that the only way I'm allowed off road is if I'm wearing pads. Didn't think I was particularly accident prone so just got elbows and knees. I've now been playing with the idea of getting a POC VPD Air Vest but probably need something with more shoulder protection.

I'll be also wearing when snowboarding!

Soldato
Haha how you jest... I was told that the only way I'm allowed off road is if I'm wearing pads. Didn't think I was particularly accident prone so just got elbows and knees. I've now been playing with the idea of getting a POC VPD Air Vest but probably need something with more shoulder protection.

I'll be also wearing when snowboarding!
Where are they taking you? The black runs of BPW? :p

I think I actually have that Skyline helmet from my hybrid / half cyclist days. I use a GT Avalanche helmet off-road now. I've only worn knee pads / elbow pads once at the Forest of Dean just because workmate had some spare in his car and I thought why not try. Pretty uncomfortable really and I didn't feel like red trail there required them at all. No falls. Rode Afan the day before and they'd have been much more useful there on the wet rock. My knees and elbows are scarred already anyway :)

Soldato
Where are they taking you? The black runs of BPW? :p

I think I actually have that Skyline helmet from my hybrid / half cyclist days. I use a GT Avalanche helmet off-road now. I've only worn knee pads / elbow pads once at the Forest of Dean just because workmate had some spare in his car and I thought why not try. Pretty uncomfortable really and I didn't feel like red trail there required them at all. No falls. Rode Afan the day before and they'd have been much more useful there on the wet rock. My knees and elbows are scarred already anyway :)

I'll probably end up at BPW at some point! I have 3 friends into MTB/Downhill so it was only a matter of time... There's several places locally, but more trails kinda places than DH. FoD is pretty close too...

To be fair the knocks I've had generally coming off on the road bike have been elbows/hips rather than knees... Maybe I need some padded shorts with hip protection! Dammit! So much expense this cycling lark! ;)

Doesn't help the pads I have are all POC VPD... Expensive brand!

Caporegime
My rear wheel on my single speed is grinding. It's got cup and one bearings and one of the cup races is all rusty. Can I sand it down and clean it up or is it basically fudged?

I intend to replace the wheels with something with cartridge bearings, but if I can make them last a bit longer it wouldn't hurt.

Soldato
They'll beat you down the descents / anything technical. Just make sure you beat them up hill :)
Yeah & that's what I'll probably need the pads for! I'll just make sure I rub it in during the ascents don't worry! ;)

My rear wheel on my single speed is grinding. It's got cup and one bearings and one of the cup races is all rusty. Can I sand it down and clean it up or is it basically fudged
Depends how smooth you can get the race, if you can't remove the pitting all you're doing is delaying... But I guess that's what you're after! Cleaned race & new bearings and I'd expect it to last at least a few months of winter before getting as bad again?

New Strava global heatmap: https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6.17/-1.86004/53.95952/hot/ride

Edit: Quite a few roads have been swam :D
Always interesting to see these! Changing it to 'All' (activities) always find some odd things dotted around! (think this is a go-carting track)

Soldato
It'd be interesting to see the population per capita. I expect being quite a small nation by comparison we're a lot more densely populated than other countries. Could well be wrong though?...

Soldato
Quite interesting that the UK along with the Belgians and the Dutch by far do greatest amount of cycling in Europe and the UK isnt even seen as a cycling nation like Belgium or the Netherlands.
We've always been a 'cycling nation', just not seen as such by the majority of the british public until recently.

It'd be interesting to see the population per capita. I expect being quite a small nation by comparison we're a lot more densely populated than other countries. Could well be wrong though?...
Certainly a factor, the recent resurgence of cycling in the UK also means a huge amount of 'new' cyclists using a platform like Strava, other more traditional nations less so. It'd be good to see cyclists per capita numbers as well as Strava use % of cyclists. I'm betting it'll be something like 65-75% in the UK riders and closer to 50% (maybe less!) in the Europeans.

It shows that Roady needs to venture into Wales a bit more. Some big empty patches there!
Because they're flipping great big hills/mountains without any roads! Although to be fair the amount of Welsh riding I've done is very poor...

Great read on how close Pro Team Cannondale-Drupac came to closing.

Soldato
I can't get away with saying your riding out of the M25 is poor, or your riding north of the Watford gap is poor, or even your Scottish/Welsh riding as you've got around relatively well for a stinky Londoner! ;)

Soldato
I can't get away with saying your riding out of the M25 is poor, or your riding north of the Watford gap is poor, or even your Scottish/Welsh riding as you've got around relatively well for a stinky Londoner! ;)
Oi. I consider myself from Sussex. Not London :)

You could have a poke at the fact I haven't done the Peaks, Lake District or Dales :p

Back
Top Bottom