Road Cycling

Caporegime
Ok. Just make sure you check the terms. Some want them locked to a fixed post or something in any outbuilding; others are fine with them just being in there. Anything in the house should be covered but you'll probably need to list the bikes as specific high value items.

Caporegime
Has anyone bought anything from Charlie the Bikemonger? I need some new single speed wheels and I want some with cartridge bearings, because life is too short for cup and cone silliness, but I also don't want to spend eleventy billion pounds.

Charlie does some handbuilt wheels with cartridge bearings for £125, which are tempting.

Anyone got any experience?

Soldato
Has anyone bought anything from Charlie the Bikemonger? I need some new single speed wheels and I want some with cartridge bearings, because life is too short for cup and cone silliness, but I also don't want to spend eleventy billion pounds.

Charlie does some handbuilt wheels with cartridge bearings for £125, which are tempting.

Anyone got any experience?

Not bought wheels from CTBM, but bought a pair of 45Nrth Gravdal studded tyres from him back in January (which came very close to being Christened these last two days), arrived promptly. He has a pretty good reputation, I just rarely see anything common in his store in stock that I cannot get cheaper elsewhere.

Are https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXMA/planet-x-model-a-track-wheelset for £89 any good to you? There's lots of good deals in the current PX sale, if you look around in the different sections (sale stuff and non-sale are not shown together, so look EVERYWHERE).

Soldato
who are the current rated home contents insurers for bike stuff? I've got 4 or 5, the most expensive probably being about 2k to replace. Never bothered before but since I have to have buildings cover, I thought I might as well take a look at the same time.

Check the insurance thread as I think PedalCover or another provider(s) do combined building & contents targeted to cyclists which, if they cover your area, can be quite reasonable. Alternatively consider if you would benefit from a separate standalone policy, if you commute, travel abroad, race or want to seperate your policies and have a decent level of personal injury cover it might be more attractive.

it's a first home so i'll have naff all apart from bikes and hifi gear the first year. But i'll set a reminder to tot it all up for the renewal - thanks!

I keep a tally of things in each room in the house and adjust it periodically. That's everything, blinds, curtains, carpets, furniture, rugs, everything in cupboards & drawers, clothes, shoes, AV Kit, tools, books, blu-rays, pictures/art, pressure washer, hose, mower, garden furniture & tools, white goods, hoover, kitchen appliances, wifi/networking gear, laptops/tablets, displays, lighting, storage boxes, etc you get the idea + a contingency for each room :p Everything you can see, attach a £ sign to it ;)

Soldato
You guys are so adult.

I have an argument with myself to squeeze out a pre cycle **** in the morning, decide I'll be fine before getting on the bike, then have to give in and end up running late for work.

Soldato
arrghhhh! My front hydraulic brake is driving me nuts!

The pads and discs were changed both ends, and new fluid/bled etc. The front brake has now decided it's had enough and does virtually nothing, apart from make an absolute racket. I can stand over the bike, with quite a lot of pressure on the lever, and easily push the bike back and forth. It's really squeaky and not strong at all. It's done about 50 miles since the service too.

It's been doing this for the last two seasons. The back is absolutely fine, and I clean the bike in the same way (the bike hasn't been cleaned since the service, so it's not me contaminating it at all)

Could it be the caliper itself? Leaking fluid? That's the only thing that hasn't been changed, so I can't think what else it could be.

Soldato
I need some new single speed wheels and I want some with cartridge bearings, because life is too short for cup and cone silliness, but I also don't want to spend eleventy billion pounds.

What about V-Sprint? I use these on my commuter.

Mach1 21mm rims or DP18 30mm rim (same rims as Jonny's link) built on Miche Primato flip-flop hubs for £134 (after £10 off code lfgssprice is applied).

http://v-sprint.com/product/carbon-alloy-wheels/track-wheels/custom-hand-built-miche-track-wheels/

Built by Jess Varnish's dad!

Soldato
The swearing filter adds so much mystery! A pre cycle what? So many possibilities!
I thought it rhymed with tank, then I realised I think it sounds like hit.

Former would be a welcome pre cycle mind.

Rained on me this morning. AND I had a massively full backpack consisting of: pair of smart shoes, jeans, boxers, tshirt, dress shirt, full 3 piece suit. Christ it was heavy.

Soldato
It's not possible to put panniers on a canyon ultimate. It says it's only for the post man and people carrying multiple baguettes. :p

I think I've just bought some etap shifters/ brake levers. Although they were fairly cheap, so probably been scammed somewhere.

Soldato
Filed miserably with mileage last week (48!), wasted 3 evenings not being able to get on Zwift due to laptop issues and then had a busy weekend. Laptop all sorted sunday night so flogged myself yesterday (day off work). 2+ hours, 2 races and 49 miles! Hopefully get myself back on track a little! Feeling the fatigue now though... Thighs are proper burning and I've got a load of stepladder work to do at some point! :o

Wearing a neck buff over the nose and mouth doesn't restrict airflow and warms the air enough to mitigate it for the most part. Didn't really have it last year but did during my first year of riding.

Plenty in the pro-peloton are asthmatic, you can get yourself a nice TUE and package from Sky :p
I swear by neck buffs and use one pulled up over my ears and mouth in temperatures below ~15 degrees. I suffer with cold sores and chapped skin on my cheekbones unless I keep them covered from the cold winds.

I only tend to cover my nose when things get really cold as they tend to fog up my eye protection, ie cold enough that ice freezes on there so I don't wear them anyway.

Honestly don't know how the Propel keeps taking it.
Great pics & riding! Kudos!

Inb4 "need a new frame my wheels fell off" :p ;)

Could it be the caliper itself? Leaking fluid? That's the only thing that hasn't been changed, so I can't think what else it could be.
Mine does this, it's always the front and I've never quite figured out why it's so much worse than the rear for noise.

As for the loss in power, it could be pads, they can get contamination from the road (oil/fuel) and not just from you... There should still be power there though, I find when mine go 'all or nothing' it's usually some air in the line, but the last time I fully drained & bled them, removing bubbles for the next two nights (without much change) before eventually giving up and replacing the Uberbike pads I'd previously fitted. They'd done less than 1900 miles, the pads had tread/life left but the surfaces looked a little contaminated with very 'polished' areas in the middle of the pad.

Got myself a new rucksack for the winter. Very impressed with it! Super visible and it expands up to 30L so was actually large enough to carry my other backpack home inside it.:D

lYDxE2mm.jpg
Which pack is that? Proviz something or other? I'm using my Deuter with a highviz cover which is now a couple of years old and not very bright anymore. The other half has a HUMP cover which is ok but I'd prefer something as reflective as that!

It says it's only for the post man and people carrying multiple baguettes. :p
But isn't that what you do? I'm sure I've seen you do morning baguette rides before. You're effectively French. ;)

Back
Top Bottom