Road Cycling

Soldato
Fun track session last night - basically a non stop hour long endurance run:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1283716967
Good work but damn, I'd start to get dizzy! ;)

Damn shifters turned up they are just sram red and not etap ones, even though they said etap in the title of the damn things. Joy. So now to argue with the eBay seller to try and what what I need or my money back.
ROFL! Was that from the same place as the Neo?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-caliper-brake-recessed-nut/

Does anyone know anywhere that sells a 42mm length one of these? / Do I need one so long? Looks like 35mm exists but current one is 42mm.
I've got a load of them in my bits box if you want me rummage through later?

Strava always does this to me. Wounded. I'm on Garmin though, so any way to change mine @Lethal` ?
Yeah it's called 'go to ebay and sell your garmin before buying an elemnt' :p

Soldato
if a 35mm one gives sufficient engagement it'll be ok.
May give that a go! It took a fair amount of travel to unscrew so should be alright.

I've got a load of them in my bits box if you want me rummage through later?

Ooh. Have a look if you get a moment! Though I might waltz on down to the bike shop anyway.

Another question...

So my headset bearings definitely need some replacement. Cube's spec indicates it's an CUBE I-t integrated, top 1 1/8", bottom 1 1/2" which at a rough guess from Cube's site is this. Actually looking at the headset the top bearing appears to be like that... however the lower bearing looks like ball bearings in a race though I'm wondering if that's just the inside of the cartridge bearing and the 'inner' piece has separated.. I have that separate.

Anyone got any pointers on identifying it?

It's all fairly corroded so I can't really read any text!

(should have probably replaced these sooner...)

Soldato
My Giant Defy 1 2015 is 'overdrive' with 1 1/4" top and 1 1/2" bottom. I bought the first Giant branded ones from my LBS @£15/£20 a pop. The next ones I bought from Rulla Bearings on ebay for £6. They lasted longer than the Giant although the fit maybe wasn't as tight. Still fitted and cause no issues.

Situated where they are headset bearings always rust eventually as rain gets in your stem area and sits on them. Easy to change and cheaper quality doesn't really matter - it's not like they're subjected to much pressure, or do much rotating!

To be fair I've ordered various other bearings from Rulla, most of them wheel, and always been impressed by price & quality. Well recommended! :)

Soldato
My Giant Defy 1 2015 is 'overdrive' with 1 1/4" top and 1 1/2" bottom. I bought the first Giant branded ones from my LBS @£15/£20 a pop. The next ones I bought from Rulla Bearings on ebay for £6. They lasted longer than the Giant although the fit maybe wasn't as tight. Still fitted and cause no issues.

Situated where they are headset bearings always rust eventually as rain gets in your stem area and sits on them. Easy to change and cheaper quality doesn't really matter - it's not like they're subjected to much pressure, or do much rotating!

To be fair I've ordered various other bearings from Rulla, most of them wheel, and always been impressed by price & quality. Well recommended! :)

Looks like it is a cartridge bearing that has split.. pretty much like this https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/215124-integrated-headset-outer-race-stuck-pics.html

I have the same issue. It's pretty damn stuck :(

Caporegime
Another question...

So my headset bearings definitely need some replacement. Cube's spec indicates it's an CUBE I-t integrated, top 1 1/8", bottom 1 1/2" which at a rough guess from Cube's site is this. Actually looking at the headset the top bearing appears to be like that... however the lower bearing looks like ball bearings in a race though I'm wondering if that's just the inside of the cartridge bearing and the 'inner' piece has separated.. I have that separate.

Anyone got any pointers on identifying it?

It's all fairly corroded so I can't really read any text!

(should have probably replaced these sooner...)
Getting bearings out is an arse. Identifying bearings is an arse. Fitting bearings is an arse. Sounds like a job for an LBS.

Soldato
Getting bearings out is an arse. Identifying bearings is an arse. Fitting bearings is an arse. Sounds like a job for an LBS.

Yeah it's true. All the LBS round this way tend to say "Yup we can do that... in 2 weeks time"

In terms of identification I'm not all that fussed as a new headset is almost the same price and I've identified a replacement. I've just got to get this out to have any chance of fitting a new headset! :D

Soldato
Pretty sure the the Cube wil just be an IS42 top bearing and IS52 bottom bearings.

I used a headset cup remover to tap the lip of one yesterday, the bonded in insert to the carbon also came with it in that example! Reallllllly old bike.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-universal-head-cup-remover-1/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360105214&kpid=5360105214&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Accessories&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sUgemca2F_dc|mcrid|67090793462|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360105214uk|mslid||&mkwid=sUgemca2F_dc&pcrid=67090793462&prd=5360105214uk&pgrid=17507340062&ptaid=aud-131695477502:pla-130216225742

I've also managed to get a flat head screwdriver on the lip as per that thread but whilst pushing pressure sideways, tapping it from above with an old seatpost or tube with a big hammer.

Soldato
Uberbike Black Friday sale - 25% off with code BLACK25
Anything of note on there? I notice wiggle topcashback deal has gone up to 4% but I've yet to trawl through this weeks offerings, or CRCs.

Sounds like a job for an LBS.
Pffft! Call yourself a cyclist! ;)

I've just got to get this out to have any chance of fitting a new headset! :D
I got one of these for removing my BB/PF-30 bottom bracket. Works well but I've not tried it on something really stuck! Do some research around, I only paid £8.99 for mine, if I'd bought the BB30 one it'd have cost £35 like that one above...! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Oakley radar ev's have turned up. I think I'm still going to be wearing them to bed tonight - soooooo damn comfy.

That's it I think now for my biking related purchases for 2017.

Soldato
Thinking about a deep plunge into the world of two-way smart trainers, just holding off to see if tomorrow brings any new deals to the consideration table.

I've gone from thinking about a Tacx 2240 plus trainer tyre and bolt thru axle, to an Elite Direto. :eek:

Soldato
This may be the nicest winter hack I've seen...

2dt6owl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom