Road Cycling

Soldato
Horizontal dropouts?

Turns out it is doable with a completely flat tyre which is fine since I should only be removing it in the event of a puncture. The guard does make it trickier to tension the chain but I suppose it's worth it. This morning my feet remained dry despite the wet roads. I could probably get away with just the front guard and ass saver because I don't care about spraying other commuters!:p

Soldato
It'll produce more numbers than my non existent power meter :p

:p

The actual numbers aren't really relevant I suppose - I just come to the conclusion I'd like live data to help pace myself better, train better, track improvements. If it doesn't help me in the ways I want it to help me then it'll be very swiftly hitting Ebay.

Soldato
Yeah. I don't really do any training as such so the numbers would be purely for a curiosity factor for me. I can't really justify it for that reason at the moment... I'd rather have a second bike :D

Soldato
So it turned out the headset is actually an IS41 upper, IS52 bottom. Judging by Cane Creek finder that's what it was in 2012 for my frame, then 2013 it was IS42 upper... seems they went back to IS41 by 2015.

I got some replacement bearings from Sigma Sport and now my headset is silky smooth! I didn't realise they could be so smooth :D
I guess that's the problem with running two kinda old bikes and gradual wear not being noticeable... I now need to sort out my MTB's headset!

Sigma gave me a 35mm recessed brake nut too but it barely had any thread engagement so I'm going to have to try source a 40mm+ one somewhere.

The joys of headsets! At least IS41/42/52 are relatively commom. Some Trek bottom bearings are a PITA and I'm sure the older Scott Foil has a funky bottom bearing too. Got loads of brake bolts, plenty that length I'm sure. Shame you're miles away.

8 days since my last ride, finally got my winter bike out the old house and into the parents shed. Chain was all seized, sticky rear brake and general mankyness from Sundays salty road session.

That'll teach me to be lazy.

Soldato
The £310 this has just cost should be recouped by me having a 'bike bits' clearout of my garage over xmas!
If it motivates you to ride then who cares what it cost? I really like mine as it’s an incredibly unbiased demonstration of improvements or form. I’m slow but now I can quantify it!

Soldato
No worries. It sounds unlikely you'd have a 40mm+ bolt based on nowhere selling them but if you do it would be really useful :)
I had in the back of my mind about my 5800 calipers coming with 3 or 4 different lengths and I didn't use them, just continued to use the long one which came with my Giant. Measuring them last night the longest I can find is only around 34-35mm, it's also not as long as I thought so I may have used the one I'm thinking of sorry! :(

Showing the C1 & P1 too.
OoooOOOooooh! £799.00 ('Price matched' & 'save £250'). 10% BC & 7% topcashback... £670. Don't had quidco myself but if you did it's another 3%... :eek:

I really can't pull the trigger as I've just bought wheels, but when I was looking at S/H units on ebay (Wiggle returns) they all seem to sell for £500-550. One set did go as low as £450 but I missed them...

When I last spoke to Powertap (month ago) they had no roadmap for the P1 v2 and had hoped the P1S 'upgrade' pedal option would be out in 2018.

I wouldn't recommend the C1 chainrings to anyone, you're better going the single sided P1S/Vector/4iiii/Stages/etc or G3 Hub.

The C1 battery life is dire (I'm now seeing <150 hours per unit) and lots of people have environmental issues (water ingress & units being generally flaky in extremes of temperature), thankfully mine have behaved with water as I've been very careful (applied waterproof grease around the battery unit every battery change). You also compromise any future crank options and the are FSA actual rings. Mine are showing wear as they don't seem a particularly hard alloy, (softer than Shimano rings). Thankfully only around ~£150 for replacement rings (and then another £50 for Saris to recalibrate), so if you consider them a £500-600 PWM that needs ~£200 every couple of years if you're riding lots of miles, then you're somewhere close. They're quite a neat solution but crank arm/spindle based are more resilient. The Power2max NG eco looks superb but not widely available yet.

Another £10 off in store at evans, so £140 total!
Good work!

:p

The actual numbers aren't really relevant I suppose - I just come to the conclusion I'd like live data to help pace myself better, train better, track improvements. If it doesn't help me in the ways I want it to help me then it'll be very swiftly hitting Ebay.
Similar reasons I got mine - the data side of things is really interesting and once I'd ridden with a smart turbo I could easily & quickly see the benefits of riding with power. I generally use mine for pacing rather than real intervals or training sessions when out on the road.

In other news: Nearly blew myself up on the way to work this morning trying to jump on a tow from a lorry, almost standing start at a roundabout to ~30mph. That'll be my kick I'm getting from some of these tempo training rides with a mini race at the end, like last nights Zwift session after the effort on my commute home. :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom