Road Cycling

Soldato
I had in the back of my mind about my 5800 calipers coming with 3 or 4 different lengths and I didn't use them, just continued to use the long one which came with my Giant. Measuring them last night the longest I can find is only around 34-35mm, it's also not as long as I thought so I may have used the one I'm thinking of sorry! :(
No problem. Thanks for checking! :)

Caporegime
0 degrees on the road this morning, fun times. It didn't look frosty, though, so I went on the single speed bike rather than the fat tyred cross bike. How much longer I can keep this up remains to be seen. I expect I'll switch to the cross bike or give it up until the other side of winter at some point.

Soldato
Good deal! I think most here with Zondas have been happy with them? Only maybe exception would be @Lethal` as he got a ding in his rear rim. What did you do in the end Chris? Still got it sat around? I still stand by my comments that it's probably fine to use on the turbo! ;)

Although I do need an 11 speed hub at some point... #projects

I have a spare set of Zondas at home, just reminded me.
Casually has a £400 wheelset he forgot about. #zipp4life

No problem. Thanks for checking! :)
Thnking about it... I removed old Tektro calipers and replaced them with 105 after the rear turned 'sticky'. Knowing me I kept the old calipers and one of them may have the nut on... If I'm tinkering later I'll try and dig them out. Fairly sure I saw them amongst a load of old pedals when digging out a cable lock a few weeks ago. If there's one there you're welcome to it!

0 degrees on the road this morning, fun times. It didn't look frosty, though, so I went on the single speed bike rather than the fat tyred cross bike. How much longer I can keep this up remains to be seen. I expect I'll switch to the cross bike or give it up until the other side of winter at some point.
Frozen car windscreens today but no ice/frost on the ground, I think it was windchill which froze them as no ice on puddles here with it being around 2-3 degrees. It's been warmer with some sun today, warmer than forecast but wind has been bitter cold still. Temperatures are dropping now the sun is going down, thankfully the wind is subsiding a little too. I was overdressed in my DHB ASV Windslam thermal jersey at lunch, but was about right this morning.

I'm away tomorrow xmas shopping ('German market' in Birmingham, so hopefully mostly eating bratwurst & drinking weissbeer!) but things are forecast to get colder the next 2-3 days. Be wary in the mornings guys, possibly the evenings too if some of the daytime temperatures don't go much over 2-3 degrees as forecast. :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Good deal! I think most here with Zondas have been happy with them? Only maybe exception would be @Lethal` as he got a ding in his rear rim. What did you do in the end Chris? Still got it sat around? I still stand by my comments that it's probably fine to use on the turbo! ;)

It was the front rim. Still got it hanging around so it would certainly be fine on the turbo but I do not own one! :D

I think it wouldn't even be that bad out on the road and was probably ridden quite a few times on the road as I suspect the damage was from the flight to Inverness. I just didn't notice it until quite a bit later.

I've found the bearings seem to get water ingress fairly quickly... especially considering I'm a fair weather cyclist only infrequently caught out in the rain / wet roads. That being said they aren't difficult to service but I wonder if something with sealed cartridge bearings would be better.

Overall they're a great upgrade from my Mavic Aksiums. They flex a lot under load and the spoke pattern is less cool...

Soldato
Ahh it was the front. Sorry had been a while!

I'd imagine the bearings where similar to my Khamsin's, fairly typical cartridge bearings, with just a basic plastic cap over them which would only keep the worst of the mud out. Not really a water barrier. With mine the only real barrier I applied was liberal amounts of waterproof grease on the bearing surfaces and around the edges of the cap. It seemed to help.

I've only just finished trawling through the huge GD cyclist bashing thread Von had loads of fun in before FT closed. Just wanted to point out a fantastic post from Steve which really struck a cord with me, fantastic post mate and dare I say it, has quite a bit of truth! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Big Kudos to anyone out commuting on bikes today and tomorrow. I’m also feeling your temperature pain whilst sat in my heated car :p

Caporegime
I was on the bike today. I took my cx bike with 35mm treaded tyres. It was 2 degrees, according to a couple of thermometers I passed em route. It wasn’t actually icy once I got off my street, but being on that bike gave me a bit more confidence to actually be out there at all.

It’s going to be -2 and snowing tomorrow, so that’ll be the real test.

Soldato
Has the guarantee of frost and ice free roads in Southampton finally expired, after buying a pair of 252 stud 45Nth Gravdals from Charlie The Bike Monger for £70 back in January? :D

Feeling like -3C tomorrow morning. :eek:

Soldato
-1c this morning south west Birmingham - it's bins day so I wheel the bin to the bottom of the drive and lifted the lid to peer in so how full it was but the lid was frozen shut, hopefully the sunshine defrosts it before the bin lorry comes.

No ******* way I'd be cycling to work in this - half the cars are driving around with 50% frosted windscreens, it's bad enough when they've got clear windscreens!

Soldato
Forecast seemed to suggest it would be freezing this morning (feels like -7) but I'd say it felt warmer than yesterday morning even in the depths of Richmond Park.. or perhaps I was trying more!

Pretty scenic this morning too :)

kKeknt9.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Power meter has arrived, hopefully get it set up tonight. How do single sided crank pwm's deal with leg imbalances? From last time I used a wattbike i think my left leg was 48% or 49%.

Back
Top Bottom