Road Cycling

Soldato
You can curse us whilst endlessly cleaning your bikes whilst we curse you for not having to suffer indoors :D

Can curse you after dropping it tonight entering a roundabout too quickly and catching some dirt/salt and putting a hole in my week old Rapha Deep Winter Gloves :~(

Soldato
Can curse you after dropping it tonight entering a roundabout too quickly and catching some dirt/salt and putting a hole in my week old Rapha Deep Winter Gloves :~(

RIP (literally) :/

I've not stopped working on either through the winter!

Bah, I should have taken myself abroad again. I didn't miss that feeling of getting back to the UK and having to 'deal' with the weather and roads after a week or two of bliss though!

Soldato
RIP (literally) :/

Bah, I should have taken myself abroad again. I didn't miss that feeling of getting back to the UK and having to 'deal' with the weather and roads after a week or two of bliss though!

Will be wearable until the weather warms up then I'll return for repair.

Soldato
TBH I'd probably have got more into indoor training if it wasn't such a faff with my setup in the garage. By the time I've got my Wi-Fi extender setup, laptop stand, laptop, fan, turbo etc. I'm 20 minutes in or more :p If I could just leave it all setup and jump on I'd be more inclined to do it. My freezing cold, damp garage isn't the best of environments either :p Maybe if we ever buy another house...

Soldato
How is that fan attached that Cavs setting up Zwift on? Was just looking at them on Amazon. £45 right?

From a bit of googling I'm fairly certain they're just zip-tied. Ping me on Messenger and I'll send you the link for £25 + free delivery :cool:

I have 3 of those - they are effective :)

Good to know, ta. Have 2 arriving. May still keep my 20" floor fan on it's lowest speed for ambient airflow :)

TBH I'd probably have got more into indoor training if it wasn't such a faff with my setup in the garage. By the time I've got my Wi-Fi extender setup, laptop stand, laptop, fan, turbo etc. I'm 20 minutes in or more :p If I could just leave it all setup and jump on I'd be more inclined to do it. My freezing cold, damp garage isn't the best of environments either :p Maybe if we ever buy another house...

I have an old LCD with a blanket over it. I lug my Kickr, Mac & Bike out with me each time. It isn't too much of a faff, the garage isn't unsecured but the house is safer and kinder long term.

Soldato
I've not stopped working on either through the winter!
Mud lines, not tan lines? :D

Rubbish luck :(

Yep, spotted them at Rapha the other week. £25 a pop so grabbed two and will see how they fare. Supposedly quiet and effective so lets see if I can out sweat them :D

G0Fiudyl.jpg
Any link to make/model/brand? Guessing that's the clubhouse and not the store. Do you recall what brand TV they where? Great looking setup! :)

How is that fan attached that Cavs setting up Zwift on? Was just looking at them on Amazon. £45 right?
Fear. It's attached by fear of disappointing him. :D

Looks like a clamp around the 'pole' of the TV stand. Interestingly the stands and even TV being used by Rapha look like they could be the same brand/type as the one he's setting up for Pete Kennaugh in that picture?
From a bit of googling I'm fairly certain they're just zip-tied. Ping me on Messenger and I'll send you the link for £25 + free delivery :cool:
Ping me too plx!

I'm revisiting my TV/mount/stand setup at some point... My cheap setup of 21" crap old TV at 1280x768 resolution on a desk clamp attached to an old portable saw bench isn't exactly great.

Also got one of these 27" monitors at work and with 1ms response it's fantastic for the money (£185). Considering I was struggling to find a good 32" TV for £200...

My fans, screen, stand, turbo, bike, power and even towel generally stay in my garage. I only transport my laptop out with me along with drink/food. My setup takes minutes (SSD in laptop is the best!).

Last edited:
Soldato
Any link to make/model/brand? Guessing that's the clubhouse and not the store. Do you recall what brand TV they where? Great looking setup! :)

No idea on the TV.

Think the tripods are Allcam TR940 or TR941 a couple of other similar slightly cheaper options available too. Those search terms should bring about some hits.

That's the Store/Clubhouse, there's a seating/viewing area & bike park section out the back :cool:

Soldato
Both, my three and a half weeks in the Southern States helped the tan lines in November!

Jealous :(

I do still have some vague lines from last year. First leg shave of 2018 incoming as I have a massage next week :o

Hoping to unveil increased vascularity from all my winter training but fear the sheer white brightness might mask this :p

Soldato
Jealous :(

I do still have some vague lines from last year. First leg shave of 2018 incoming as I have a massage next week :o

Hoping to unveil increased vascularity from all my winter training but fear the sheer white brightness might mask this :p

After the hell of last years first shave and the consistent competing I just kept going through winter! It'll mostly be white! :D

Soldato
How are you finding the gloves? Seem to recall you had some issues with bad circulation and things so would be good to know if they work for you. :)

They're the best gloves I have, but still suffering with pain from raynauds in the morning, yet in the evening if it is the same temperature I struggle less. My cheap lobster type gloves from Aldi worked the best for first thing and my short commute, but have hardly any feeling/dexterity. These are great for actual riding. Will be my go to when it's below 4c.

Soldato
No idea on the TV.

Think the tripods are Allcam TR940 or TR941 a couple of other similar slightly cheaper options available too. Those search terms should bring about some hits.

That's the Store/Clubhouse, there's a seating/viewing area & bike park section out the back :cool:
Shame about TV brand, just as I dragged up that picture from twitter/insta of Cav for the fan mounting bracket I'd previously looked at. I then did a doubletake and realised the TV brands & stands looked very similar (and the fans) to those at Rapha. Happy coincidence, or maybe they are the same and there's some sponsorship going on. Rapha & UK Pro team riders would be some clever product placement...

Interesting, I think there may even be an Allcam TR940 here at work somewhere... I linked one to the guy I sourced that Iiyama 27" monitor for, to use at a show (showing Drone footage of seed beds) but no idea if he actually bought one.

Soldato
So I rode outside! First time since October!

First things, pump tyres up. Valve core winds out of the tube... fix that. Find Garmin, powertap batteries appear to be flat, oh well.

First pedal strokes, wow how fast is this bike, it’s so light and moves around so much more than on the trainer.

But it’s so windy :( some terrible road surfaces too. How good are separated bike lanes, then they finish after 400m and you can’t get back on the main road easily!

Just over 60k in 2 hours, 30kmh average smack on. My calf muscles feel like they got a proper workout, maybe I use them more on the road compared to the turbo.

And I have a noisy cleat, which gets annoying rather quickly, and then another noise appeared after 50km which I think could be the BB or chain.

Back
Top Bottom