Road Cycling

Soldato
Assuistance please!

Firstly I need a new screwdriver that won't kill my derailleur adjustment screws as my mate has lost his. Does anyone have any recommendations. It originally came in an IceToolz tool kit and could switch between Philips and Flathead.

Secondly I need some new Shimano Pad retention bolts, is there anywhere you can get them from that aren't a million pounds per screw for something so small?

Soldato
Hydra or cable? Are they any different?

The slot headed ones which came on my Diverges 785 calipers did seize from corrosion and one of them I had to remove with worm grips. I bought these from Wiggle as a replacement for £3, they're slightly longer than the originals but with the hex head they're much easier/better to add/remove and haven't suffered from the same corrosion. Wiggle don't stock them any longer, but lots of other seem to:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/shimano-deore-xt-brm785-pad-axle-snap-ring-y8jz98010/
https://www.jejamescycles.com/shimano-br-m785-pad-axle-and-snap-ring-kpz4742.html
https://www.aquabluesport.com/shimano-br-m785-pad-axle-and-snap-ring.html/
There are some under various other names which look compatible, as it's Shimano I assume the 'thread' into the pad is the same size across all the ranges but I might be wrong...
https://www.jejamescycles.com/shima...-z-fZfOVUNHGDFXPAwO8tP1T1XB8rtx0aAs3eEALw_wcB oooh, black ones! :D
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/shimano-deore-xt-brm755-pad-axle-snap-ring-y8b298050/
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shimano-XT-BR-M785-Pad-Axle-Snap-Ring/32293454

I just use any of my wide range of phillips screwdrivers on my derailleur screws, I just make sure I clear the worst of the crud out of them when doing a clean. Usually have a squirt of GT85 in there first to clear any remaining debris and at least assist the screw. Have hardly ever needed to adjust mine to be fair as I'm usually changing cassettes of the same size/type and not regularly hubs/wheels.

Zwift CVR Race 7 (of 8) in the Winter '18 series. Zone E bracket C report.

Soldato
I u
Assuistance please!

Firstly I need a new screwdriver that won't kill my derailleur adjustment screws as my mate has lost his. Does anyone have any recommendations. It originally came in an IceToolz tool kit and could switch between Philips and Flathead.

Secondly I need some new Shimano Pad retention bolts, is there anywhere you can get them from that aren't a million pounds per screw for something so small?

I use a screwdriver I got in the box with a Cisco videoconferencing unit at work. Not much help I know but it's brilliant.

Soldato
Besides Haydn and myself, is anyone else on the verge of not completing the Col Season Starter Challenge?

10 hours over any other two weeks since Jan 2017 and this was a piece of cake, but my riding schedule has nose-dived, even with the option of starting up Zwift... And I'm not sure I can be bothered to do 95mins indoors before dinner and a heavy day at work in carp weather. :/

Soldato
I never complete Strava/Zwift challenges I'm bloody useless at them, I think I've got one Strava badge for something that I was always going to get because it was in a month I'd got a sportive booked. :p

Starting to think about the coming months now - my wattsboard is saying my fitness is going up and staying up (although tbh the whole wattsboard thing pretty much bamboozles me), I'm feeling pretty strong, booked to see a physio tomorrow to get some maintenance done on quads/glutes/an aching shoulder, bike is all ship shape, got all the gear I need. Just need that big orange hot thing to make an appearance in the sky and we're ready to roll.

Associate
Besides Haydn and myself, is anyone else on the verge of not completing the Col Season Starter Challenge?

10 hours over any other two weeks since Jan 2017 and this was a piece of cake, but my riding schedule has nose-dived, even with the option of starting up Zwift... And I'm not sure I can be bothered to do 95mins indoors before dinner and a heavy day at work in carp weather. :/

ME! but, that is usual for me not doing enough time on the bike.

Associate
So the sausages at halfords didn't set up my derailleurs correctly on a new bike. The front one rubbed on the large ring which the guy put the bike back in the stand but I rode it to work and back today and it's definitely still there. Chain skips on the highest gears as well. Fun times. £400 bike etc I'd still expect gears to be set up and indexed correctly if I'm told that that is something they've done in the handover check list.
They also have the audacity to say their warranty depends on proper servicing, by them :rolleyes:. Going to stay off it for now and get the tools out over the weekend

Soldato
Soldato

Yep, if you want my voucher PM me. I agree with Lethal's sentiment below. Not really a challenge for me as 8-10hrs a week is the norm.

The 'prize' isn't that amazing anyway. £50 off a £100 spend on quite massively overpriced kit. I didn't bother spending the last voucher.

Even the socks are awful :(

Soldato
Yep, if you want my voucher PM me. I agree with Lethal's sentiment below. Not really a challenge for me as 8-10hrs a week is the norm.

It was never about the voucher, but thanks anyway, it was about me keeping my weekly hours ticking over with some extra motivation... I've gone from ~32.5 hours with ~40,000 feet elevation gain in Jan to just ~11 hours and ~8,500 feet so far in Feb. :/

Soldato
Not sure if this is a Strava or Stravastistix upgrade but now seems to show segment distance to 2 decimal places now! Minor change but something that I always thought was a bit of a gap, especially for shorter segments.

Soldato
Well...where to begin...

Been off the bike for about 3 weeks now as I had a bit of an accident. Crashed off on my way home from a commute by hitting a kerb in a traffic island whilst negotiating roadworks near where I live. Went over the bars. Broke my jaw on the left side and split it apart in the middle (at my chin). This meant that I had a 3-4 mm gap between my front teeth where there was no gap before! Required 9 stitches in my chin as I had a massive cut. Grazed my knee. Broke my left thumb and left ring finger. Chipped one front tooth, knocked the other completely out of position and snapped off the one next to that in my upper jaw. I've also damaged/irritated a nerve in my right leg that means I can't curl my toes upwards on one foot.

So....yeah...not good.

Oh...and...sloppy diet for 6 weeks (4 weeks to go).

Soldato
It happened about three weeks ago. Went back to work yesterday. Most superficial stuff has recovered. Cuts to my face have all gone and the stitches under my chin have almost healed up. Finger is pretty good already but thumb will take a few weeks. Hoping nerve damage will heal up in 6-8 weeks. Teeth....who knows. Have to go to private dentist to see what they can do once my jaw has healed up more in 3 weeks time.

Bike isn't too bad. Was my steel framed single speed. Front wheel a bit out of true but fairing up alright, now that I've washed all the blood off it! #biohazard

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha yeah the weather ruined it for me as the only outside riding I did was my <1 hour per day commuting. Did a total of 4h 24min in the challenge, if I'd have hit a saturday social ride that would've been another 4-5 but the weather decided otherwise!

With the Zwift time I actually did nearly 14 hours over the period, one of those which was a shorter weekend than normal (only 1 hour) and missed 2 days commuting due to a training course...

Maybe next time! ;)

Thanks guys, probably just go to local shop to order the bolts.

My mates managed to find my screwdriver now!
My LBS gave me one and some tips on how to remove my stuck bolt but hadn't really got them for sale apart from buying some pads... So I sourced my own!

The Shimano pads I got seem to come with them, the uberbike pads I was swapping out back then didn't. Going back to Shimano shortly anyway as my rear is rubbish again after 1500 miles. Really don't rate those uberbike ones, less mileage than a rim pad! :o

So the sausages at halfords didn't set up my derailleurs correctly on a new bike. The front one rubbed on the large ring which the guy put the bike back in the stand but I rode it to work and back today and it's definitely still there. Chain skips on the highest gears as well. Fun times. £400 bike etc I'd still expect gears to be set up and indexed correctly if I'm told that that is something they've done in the handover check list.
They also have the audacity to say their warranty depends on proper servicing, by them :rolleyes:. Going to stay off it for now and get the tools out over the weekend
Halfrauds always pretty poor at that. Their trained monkeys are trained to setup a new bike on a stand, sometimes to really tight tolerances, so as soon as it's got some weight on the saddle and some pressure on the wheel things rub.

My Carrera I bought from them in 2009 went back 4 times to 3 different Halfords mechanics due to chain rub (for free). Being an utter noob and getting sick of taking it back I learnt how to do it myself through trial and error in probably less then a total of 2 hours of fiddling spread over a week of commuting after each fiddle. :cool

Valuable skill and certainly worth learning yourself. Once you do you're already more advanced than the majority of Halfords mechanics (who only seem to build bikes from instructions, not ride them, in my experience). :rolleyes:

As it turns out, about 5 mins after reading the posts on here, a pair of BR-RS785 calipers for £20 came up on bikeRadar forum.....which I got. :)
Bargain! Congrats :D

Back
Top Bottom