Road Cycling

Soldato
The Defy 1 2015 is a great bike. I've got one I got as a crash/insurance replacement after getting knocked off a cheapy Carrera in December 2014. Mine had done around 5500 miles before I semi retired it 1.5 years ago as a commuter and weekend ride. I had two or three very scetchy moments on the Giant tyres before I swapped them out. I remember them being pretty bad in the wet on any kind of smooth surface! I ran Mitchelin Pro4 Endurance 25mm's and Continental GP 4Seasons 25mm for winter.

Tektro brakes where poor, changed to 105. Wheels where particularly bad, changed for Campagnolo Khamsin. As it now lives on my turbo I changed the 34/50 FSA crankset for a 36/52 Shimano 105 and really wish I'd done it sooner when riding it outside! So mine is now running full 105 and a much better ride for it (well recommended!). I did also pick up a set of Shimano RS81 wheels, fitted GP4000sii's and they where superb! Only did around 500 miles on them but a supreme wheel compared to the Khamsin (which as a £100 wheelset was miles ahead of the Giant P-R2 wheels).

Basically, changing the wheels and tyres will completely change the bike! Do it! :)

Daily update.
DLoiq4y.jpg
Just noticed this, but why so grippy wheels on the Scott? It'll be skipping up alpine climbs in the heat of summer, not trawling rough roads in the winter... Considered Tubeless for some weight saving? :D

Inflite CF 9.0 something you roadies won't understand. saying to be sent between 9-13 April. We shall see.
Beautiful bike but the look of the toptube would take some getting used to. Careful of your nuts if you miss the saddle remounting! Hope you got the yellow one? :D

Ooof. Little bit further to ride out than I thought (24km) but good to actually ride the bike rather than sit on the turbo.

Rode a 24:45 which I was reasonably happy with, 4 miles out and then back with a 2 mile dog leg at the end. Starting order was totally random by the signing in order, I had a couple of slower riders in front and a similar rider behind.
Great start to TT'ing, kudos! Your Zwift riding is really paying off! :D

Id love to try one!
Request to product test it on the Infilite?! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Just noticed this, but why so grippy wheels on the Scott? It'll be skipping up alpine climbs in the heat of summer, not trawling rough roads in the winter... Considered Tubeless for some weight saving? :D
They're these Mavics: https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/yksion...oute-c4419.html#1028=3322&1034=3487&1035=3501

Not used Mavic tyres before... anyone else? I am sure I have some spare continentals here, but Mavic do have some nice looking tyres, just unsure what they're like? The compound seems really soft on them

Soldato
Not used Mavic tyres before... anyone else? I am sure I have some spare continentals here, but Mavic do have some nice looking tyres, just unsure what they're like? The compound seems really soft on them

Mavic Yksion tyres of some form came with my Aksium Ones on my Cube. They seemed fast enough rolling, no punctures and good in the dry but pretty terrifying in the wet.

Soldato
Beautiful bike but the look of the toptube would take some getting used to. Careful of your nuts if you miss the saddle remounting! Hope you got the yellow one? :D

Request to product test it on the Infilite?! :D

Well cannondale superx has the highest top tube of all cx bikes. It's not a looker but that rear triangle is getting great reviews for comfort and handling which is all I'm after. They don't do yellow for the 9.0 so went for stealth as they didn't have the silver in my size.

Soldato
Average HR for my TT effort (starting off from about 100bpm as had to wait around), 187bpm, max 192. That’s why I felt a bit sick and rode home slow....

Sore arms/shoulders today from riding on the TT bars, only done 45 mins or so on Zwift up to now on it so 60 odd km was a shock to the system.

Soldato
Wow - that's a big average HR. I'm 46 and see 190bpm max here and there and yup every time I'm up at that level I feel proper queasy.

Understandable you felt sick after that. Still - no point not giving 100%.

Man of Honour
S3 was too big :( And it looked so good in person. But was a blessing as it means I didn't end up buying a 3 year old bike :p

I am now looking at a Giant Propel though, had a look at the different specs and you can get them for around the same price as what I was looking at spending. Look great too. Going to ride one tomorrow and then potentially pull the trigger on the below:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes-propel-advanced-disc-2018

Soldato
Soldato
I did a 7 mile park ride with my son today on his new Canyon Offspring 20" bike. He couldn't stop smiling :)

26406675207_4d9d8a3d81_b.jpg

Associate
I did a 7 mile park ride with my son today on his new Canyon Offspring 20" bike. He couldn't stop smiling :)

He has a better bike than me!!

Anyone used wiggle for cycletowork scheme?

Think of buying a load of kit and accessories rather than a bike.

Bit disappointed with the range on reflection. Still think it will be worth getting some more kit and some new pedals/shoes/helmet.

Associate
S3 was too big :( And it looked so good in person. But was a blessing as it means I didn't end up buying a 3 year old bike :p

I am now looking at a Giant Propel though, had a look at the different specs and you can get them for around the same price as what I was looking at spending. Look great too. Going to ride one tomorrow and then potentially pull the trigger on the below:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes-propel-advanced-disc-2018

I popped into the Giant shop at lunch and they was saying that they have sold the disc version multiple times more than the rim brake version this year.

Back
Top Bottom