Road Cycling

Associate
Oh that must be a recent change. The brochure I was looking at today had a bit on the propel about the decision not to offer rim brake versions for 2018 models

They said in the shop they are two different design of frames and not just one is disc and the other isnt.

Soldato
Wow - that's a big average HR. I'm 46 and see 190bpm max here and there and yup every time I'm up at that level I feel proper queasy.

Understandable you felt sick after that. Still - no point not giving 100%.

It's all super personal. I avg'd 199 in a time trial before. I was trying to use HR to pace myself but when I dropped it down it felt like I was soft pedalling. Most of the time when I do an all out effort I'll rarely go over 195 or so.

Soldato
Nice, let me know how you find the Astute!

Got my first 120 or so miles in on the new saddle.
So first impressions are that yes I'll certainly be keeping it, it's light (218g) & the first thing I'll say about it is while it may have memory foam there's not a lot of it! Firm is an understatement, but surprisingly it's not uncomfortable. Admittedly, the longest ride I've done so far is 40 miles, but so far so good.
Would I pay £120+ for it....no, however as I got it for £50 via a friend or a friend, then it's certainly worth it.

Associate
So managed to get out and test my adjusted setup on Thursday evening.
I adjusted the seat down approx 20mm. It felt like it was down at the crankset when I kept sitting back down though it was surprisingly comfy.
I also lowered the nose of my seat as it was higher than lvl (also moved it back approx 20mm). It did feel like I was being forced forward on it but only a little. The ride was just over an hour and no numbness so that was a big win.

The weirdest change I noticed was whilst standing to pedal I felt far more in control of the bike. Before i felt I was way too over the bars and the front end felt twitchy. Not sure why this would change but am happy with it.
All in all felt it was a much better ride so now need to stretch the miles out. I have enrolled for the 100 mile C2C2C bike ride end of June which was the motivation to get back into training

Soldato
Rapha Roubaix tomorrow. And it’s raining....

I wasn’t aware but it also the Manchester marathon...

My plan to get the train in won’t work because the earliest train is 08:40...

I’m stuck with taking the car, not sure on traffic or road closures or riding... it’s about 30-35km to ride which will mean an early start.

Soldato
So what's the deal here...?

I bought some "Shimano SP40 Road-MTB Outer Gear Casing(Pre-Cut)" last year and re-cabled my gearing. I remember struggling quite a lot to get a clean cut using Park Tool CN-10. I still had a bunch of the stuff leftover so decided to try using it again today. Same issues cutting the the cable... I just can't get a clean cut. I started looking into it a bit more and noticed how Park Tool's site suggest brake cable is wound and gear cable is generally compressionless parallel wires rather than wound. I then found a little SP41 in my stock and noticed how when cutting it was far easier and a different internal.

So the SP40 I got is spiral wound. Is that normal? I know it's older Shimano stuff but research prior to purchasing had suggested the only difference was the grease inside.

MPq6QXc.jpg

Also... bonus question. Best way to cut brake cable square? Use side cutters instead?

Associate
If you guys are near Central Scotland tomorrow, we are having our HUGE demo day.

Giant, Specialized, Cannnodale, Look, Ibis, Frog bikes and many more are all coming with demo bikes for anyone to try out on our guided loops.

More info on our website here - https://www.pedalpower.org.uk/pedal-power-festival-of-bike-2018/

see some of you there hopefully :)

Looks like a pretty cool event you guys are putting on. I co-organise the demo days at Dales so know the effort that goes into putting on these events, fair play! Hope the weather is decent enough and it all goes well!

Soldato
So what's the deal here...?

I bought some "Shimano SP40 Road-MTB Outer Gear Casing(Pre-Cut)" last year and re-cabled my gearing. I remember struggling quite a lot to get a clean cut using Park Tool CN-10. I still had a bunch of the stuff leftover so decided to try using it again today. Same issues cutting the the cable... I just can't get a clean cut. I started looking into it a bit more and noticed how Park Tool's site suggest brake cable is wound and gear cable is generally compressionless parallel wires rather than wound. I then found a little SP41 in my stock and noticed how when cutting it was far easier and a different internal.

So the SP40 I got is spiral wound. Is that normal? I know it's older Shimano stuff but research prior to purchasing had suggested the only difference was the grease inside.

MPq6QXc.jpg

Also... bonus question. Best way to cut brake cable square? Use side cutters instead?

I use the park cutters as you said it isn’t perfect, then take an old spoke and push it through from the “good end” to ensure it is clear. Then use a dremel grinder stone to tidy up the cut as the last winding is always a bit sticky out and sharp. Grind it down so it’s all nice and flush and smooth.

I don’t see why you couldn’t use a grinder or dremel to cut the housing, maybe too much heat would melt it internally if you took a while. Side cutters tend to squash things before cutting so o think you’d have an inch that was damaged but you could try it.

Caporegime
If you guys are near Central Scotland tomorrow, we are having our HUGE demo day.

Giant, Specialized, Cannnodale, Look, Ibis, Frog bikes and many more are all coming with demo bikes for anyone to try out on our guided loops.

More info on our website here - https://www.pedalpower.org.uk/pedal-power-festival-of-bike-2018/

see some of you there hopefully :)

Do OcUK guys get a discount? ;)

I actually phoned you guys the other day! Was visiting family just down the road.

Back
Top Bottom