Road Cycling

Permabanned
Rapha - A Day In Hell

Well on my way to the ride this morning and it goes a little like this.....

15 minutes
4 miles
3 punctures (small split in tyre)
1 Lost pair of gloves

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Soldato
Good mate, got lost at the start, lost loads of time.

I was surprised by how many cross bikes there were. I didn’t see anyone else riding with me on rim brakes or narrow tyres! Narrowest I saw/heard about were 28s, I was on 23s!

Missed a few junctions & had to turn round, but after the long straight off road hit it was all OK. I think the start needed a few arrows or a map in the club house to get everyone going.

Got rolling with another bloke and we caught up to almost everyone by the coffee van, we just picked guys up in groups of 2-4.

Rode cobbles, rode back down cobbles and took the turn we should have.... sure I rode 3x the amount that was actually scheduled. Couldn’t see the Garmin for the shaking and didn’t want to look down!

Nearly lost my manhood on the steerer when I tried to stand at the base of the cobbled climb and someone had washed their car; the cranks did almost a full rotation for no resistance, wheelspin even seated. Passed a bloke pushing.

Went crazy stupid fast on some twisty descents, overshot the next junction. Caught onto the leading bunch. Smashed it down bridal ways. Then everyone went nuts going into Manchester the last 20km.

Sprint off from every set of lights. Try and put the hurt on anyone else you can.

30-35kmh on the dirt and rough as guts bit along the side of the Mersey near the water park was insane. My mini pump flew out my jersey, I wasn’t stopping, don’t know if I could have! Someone else flatted on the bit that was super rough with just bricks & rubble, I powered round them & then nearly crashed next bend, my thighs started to feel like they were cramping. We overshot & missed the turn again to get off the river, someone fell over trying to ride up the embankment, we all had to run/push.

After the initial 20km which was pretty meh it was an awesome ride.

Had a beer, halumi and chips and a coke, watched PR until they got through Arenburg then rode home after a mission getting my bike from
the back of the workshop out past about 50 others!

175km (I rode there & back), 26.1kmh average moving speed (all the messing about backtracking!). Average Hr155 and estimated nearly 4000 calories.

Soldato
Fair play Berger!

I have been putting off changing the BB on my aeroad and ultimate, as they're a bit creeky, but since I had to buy the remover tool recently anyway, and I have a press tool, I ordered some replacements for the both of them.

Still waiting on my bike discount order to come in, and now bike 24 have delayed my FD order as the etap battery charger was out of stock. Ugh.

Permabanned
Sounds like a great ride Berger, certainly interesting. My mate did it and said it was mostly fine until the waterpark and then he said it was proper sketchy at that point.

I headed into Rapha in the afternoon for a brew. Managed to still claim my hat and the free beer too, mate doesn't drink so I had his beer too. Left the chips though as didn't want to eat them after not actually riding myself.

Have the route on my Garmin so I'll don't the cap and head out on my own on Thursday. Beers are in the fridge waiting and I'll get a takeaway when I get back home.

Hoping for a better luck than I had yesterday.

You were brave riding it on 23's!!!!

Soldato
I have a squeaky B.B. now from water ingress, hoping it works it’s way out. Two buckets to wash the bike down properly yesterday & took the chain off.

Soldato
Did a Zwift fondo saturday morning to get some volume in as the heavy rain cancelled any club ride plans. Treated it as a tempo/threshold race rather than the 'sportive' type it's meant to be. I was just no on early enough for any long races.... Followed it up with an attempt at some SST intervals and struggled. Can't even hit and hold 260W for 5 minutes according to the Flux! :(

Beautiful weather sunday so did jump out for a quick tempo 11.5 mile effort. Felt good but slow. Boo!

Hopefully these couple of sessions are pushing my fitness back the correct way. CVR tomorrow night is still going to be abusive, but with good weather hopefully next weekend I'm aiming to get out. Need to start fitting in a second Turbo ride in the week to push things forward, then I can knock off some of the intensity I seem to have brought to my commuting. I want to use my weekend social/club rides (15-17mph) as 'easy' volume, rather than my primary riding this year. The aim this summer is then to step up to another clubs saturday ride which is usually further and faster. Hopefully tie that into a reduction of Zwifting which I'll replace with a more social afternoon outside ride. No real commitments to any sportives yet this year, need to make some really as most seem to be selling out quickly. :o

Otherwise, just get GP4000s like everyone else.
Are most here running them in the summer? Think a few had gone the Lifeline armour route (@SoliD?) but possibly not for 'good'?

I know lots of us used to rate the Mitchelin Pro 4 Endurance but with the price going up when they released the V2 and then the rebranding to 'Power Endurance' and a further price hike, who continued still using them? I certainly didn't after my experience of the Pro4E 28mm's wasn't great (rubbish wet grip, well worn and sidewalls cracked/ripped/scrubbed after less than 3000 miles).

I'm still drawing a big blank finding a good fast summer Tubeless 30mm tyre which reviews like it'll last well enough for commuting & leisure riding. Ideally I want to go Schwalbe due to their 'TL easy' technology (so I won't need a compressor or shock pump to mount them) but the Pro One range tops out at 28mm, the G One Speed come in 30mm but have tread which looks like it's aimed at gravel/trails and not road so will be sluggish.

Well cannondale superx has the highest top tube of all cx bikes. It's not a looker but that rear triangle is getting great reviews for comfort and handling which is all I'm after. They don't do yellow for the 9.0 so went for stealth as they didn't have the silver in my size.
Boo @ no yellow! :(

Wow - that's a big average HR. I'm 46 and see 190bpm max here and there and yup every time I'm up at that level I feel proper queasy.

Understandable you felt sick after that. Still - no point not giving 100%.
HR is very personal, you'll see people riding at 100bpm and think *Wow* yet that can be threshold for them. As @Lethal` shows, his is quite high, for his age!

I've noticed similar before, on Ian Bibbys profile strava stalking, most of his races average fairly normally 150bpm, he'll hit 180bpm sprinting towards the end. Fairly normal, then (if he's left the data). But you'll see some of his training/Zwift sessions he can hit 200bpm. Not bad for a 31 year old, but does show what a Pro is capable of. He's a good follow if anyone wants pictures, data & see how a pro trains.

Finally confirmed. Won't get it until the 18th though because I'm away.
Congrats. Excited!? :D

I am now looking at a Giant Propel though, had a look at the different specs and you can get them for around the same price as what I was looking at spending. Look great too. Going to ride one tomorrow and then potentially pull the trigger on the below:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes-propel-advanced-disc-2018
Propel 2015/16 where really popular and saw loads of them around. Seems to be far less of them now, as most seem to ride the TCR instead.

Again, don't buy discs if you don't need/want discs! You're better going Di2/eTap and will probably 'feel' the benefit more on a summer road bike. You have a winter/bad weather bike.

Would I pay £120+ for it....no, however as I got it for £50 via a friend or a friend, then it's certainly worth it.
Great review thnanks, glad you're enjoying it! :)

So managed to get out and test my adjusted setup on Thursday evening.
I adjusted the seat down approx 20mm. It felt like it was down at the crankset when I kept sitting back down though it was surprisingly comfy.
I also lowered the nose of my seat as it was higher than lvl (also moved it back approx 20mm). It did feel like I was being forced forward on it but only a little. The ride was just over an hour and no numbness so that was a big win.

The weirdest change I noticed was whilst standing to pedal I felt far more in control of the bike. Before i felt I was way too over the bars and the front end felt twitchy. Not sure why this would change but am happy with it.
All in all felt it was a much better ride so now need to stretch the miles out. I have enrolled for the 100 mile C2C2C bike ride end of June which was the motivation to get back into training
Good start, any position change will feel different to start with and it's really only riding (time in saddle) which will help you guide your next steps. The main thing being your numbness was probably solved by the nose tilt. See how things go but it sounds like you're much closer than you where before. Slight tweaks now! :)

92tNQQP.jpg

Thanks for the advice the GP 4000s are on ready for a ride tomorrow :D
Sweet!

Great looking Crux, always loved the colours & patterns they came in. Especially the really loud PINK! (owner of a loud yellowygreeny Diverge) :D

Also... bonus question. Best way to cut brake cable square? Use side cutters instead?

I use the park cutters as you said it isn’t perfect, then take an old spoke and push it through from the “good end” to ensure it is clear. Then use a dremel grinder stone to tidy up the cut as the last winding is always a bit sticky out and sharp. Grind it down so it’s all nice and flush and smooth.

I don’t see why you couldn’t use a grinder or dremel to cut the housing, maybe too much heat would melt it internally if you took a while. Side cutters tend to squash things before cutting so o think you’d have an inch that was damaged but you could try it.
Side cutters crush too much without cutting very cleanly due to the toughness of the housing, I use the park cutters then I use a 'trimmed' down small flat blade (literally ground the edges to make it a spike) to splay the housing and inner sleeve. I do sometimes then use side cutter to trim down the metal housing afterwards, mine are quite heavy duty but still not man enough to cut housing (maybe it's the operators flimsy biceps).

Rapha - A Day In Hell

Well on my way to the ride this morning and it goes a little like this.....

15 minutes
4 miles
3 punctures (small split in tyre)
1 Lost pair of gloves

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Wow, hope you had some more tubes and where able to ride more than that?! :o

175km (I rode there & back), 26.1kmh average moving speed (all the messing about backtracking!). Average Hr155 and estimated nearly 4000 calories.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1497161835
Great riding & report mate, sounds brutal! Impressive you manged to ride it on 23mm's without any punctures! Actually, I'm amazed! :D

EPIC post over lol

Last edited:
Soldato
So yesterday was my birthday (now over halfway to 70... yay!) and I arranged to do this https://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk/event-category/the-southwold-sportive/ with a couple of guys from work. Basically a 75 mile sportive but with off road sections (effectively small shortcuts) for those who were up for a challenge. Weather was grim! Rain before and rain during meant that the off road sections were flooded... but we did them all anyway :D Was quite good fun but my bike is now covered in mud and grime! Props to the two guys I was riding with who did the off road bits on 25mm slicks. I was cheating and had 38mm G-Ones on my gravel bike. Best addition on my winter machine though was the mud guards! Despite the weather I finished clean and dry (apart from my feet) while they were... less so! Slow and only 75 miles but my second highest suffer score - https://www.strava.com/activities/1496844315

Permabanned
That Rapha ride looks great @Berger, is there an "official" gpx of the route anywhere?

I've downloaded the GPX file so I'll email it to you when I'm home later this evening. May need a gentle reminder if I haven't sent it by 10.00pm or so.

Can you send attachments via trust? If not then email me via trust and I can reply to that for you.

@Roady

Didn't manage any more miles after that. Rear tyre was split and no spare tubes either. :(

4 mile walk home in the end and then went to the Rapha shop for coffee and to see a friend who managed to do the ride.

Fixed my bike yesterday evening, put my CycloCross tyres on and fixed the two tubes for spares again. Didn't really fancy seeing the bike again after having the misfortune of the morning.

Soldato
Eh? How old do you think I am? :D
Lol, erm... I just remember a discussion surrounding the old outdated 220-age thing to determine max HR and you where one of the prime examples where it was nowhere near accurate. For me it would currently be 183, which is nowhere near accurate as I've seen 190bpm on the turbo a couple of times this year.

I've always considered you a similar age to me - mid 30's! (although technically this year I guess I'm 'nearing 40' @38!) :o

Fantastic ride, premise reads like it would've been brutal without even the weather! Kudos! :)

@Roady

Didn't manage any more miles after that. Rear tyre was split and no spare tubes either. :(
Rubbish, badly? I've always meant to carry one of these and have to say if I did I'd have used it at least twice in the last 6 months. Neither repair for me thankfully (beauty of riding tough 28mm's!)

Soldato
V-Brakes. Going to service some old ones for a friend and sounds like one of the springs is utterly shot. Can you buy just a spring?

They'll be some cheap tektro/halfords tat. Don't want to spend more than a couple of quid on them.

Soldato
Lol, erm... I just remember a discussion surrounding the old outdated 220-age thing to determine max HR and you where one of the prime examples where it was nowhere near accurate. For me it would currently be 183, which is nowhere near accurate as I've seen 190bpm on the turbo a couple of times this year.

I've always considered you a similar age to me - mid 30's! (although technically this year I guess I'm 'nearing 40' @38!) :o
:eek:

I don't think I can even be classed as a mamil :p

My 220-age = 194. Which I'll kinda often see if I push it a little during a ride but when I really go all out I'll hit 206-208.

Soldato
Haha, sorry! :o

A wide range of heartrate, including quite a high one can just be a sign of a fit heart, providing your resting isn't also high, which we know it isn't! I recall looking back at your rides as I think there was a similar discussion when you did the TT Relay!?

One of the guys I work with is in his late 50's and has ridden all his life, his max HR is around 150, usually riding around 110-120bpm. Me (late 30's!) I'm riding around 150-170bpm and he always reminds me that I'm getting older and it should start dropping! If anything the last 2 years mine has evened out, but I'm able to push it higher without blowing. 3-4 years ago I could barely push over 180 without blowing!

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually don't really know what my resting HR is. I've rarely thought to check but stopping at a cafe or pre-ride it'll usually be around 70-80bpm minimum. I should probably test it when I first wake up some day. Doubt it's super low.

Back
Top Bottom