Road Cycling

Soldato
Thought my flu thing was a less than 24 hour event last Wednesday...

Went for my first solo ride with the 4iiii on Saturday after work and felt pretty good on the climbs, https://www.strava.com/activities/1495004602

Woke up Sunday full of flu, hobbling from bed to bathroom and kitchen felt like a very old man, not much better today having had to take a day off work... Looks like another 2018 setback for my cycling to overcome. :/

Soldato
Fantastic ride, premise reads like it would've been brutal without even the weather! Kudos! :)
The off road sections were really MTB territory in places :D I didn't feel mislead from the description but I heard loads of complaints from people during the drink stops about the route. They did say "not for your best bike" in the literature but some people were still on expensive carbon machines. Even the lanes were really sketchy due to the recent flooding. Every few minutes you were passing someone with a puncture but somehow we avoided them. G-Ones and (dare I say it) Gatorskins for the win :D

By the final 'roubaix' shortcut most people had cried off them and were sticking to the roads but we were determined to do it partly spurred on by the "special prize" if you could prove via Strava etc. that you did all the optional bits. I must admit I was disappointed when I found out it was a free pint as you got a free pint when you finished anyway plus there was a girl just handing the cards out to everyone so I ended up with three free pint vouchers... but having to drive home :( There was also a can in the goodie bag to take home though. If you hadn't guessed it was sponsored by a local brewery :D

Permabanned
Rubbish, badly? I've always meant to carry one of these and have to say if I did I'd have used it at least twice in the last 6 months. Neither repair for me thankfully (beauty of riding tough 28mm's!)

It doesn't look bad at all, no more than a 2-3mm split but the roads near me are quite grainy and far from smooth. Tyres were 30/32 Specialized Roubaix Pro, kept the front as it looks fine but I've cut the rear one, made two tyre boots from it and binned the rest of it.

I'm ordering a few things off Wiggle this evening and I'll be ordering some of those park tyre boot patches for the saddle bag.

Associate
So....
When I got my bike I decided to get mtb shoes and pedals. Mains because I also got pedals with a normal clip less side to ride in normal shoes should I want to
Needless to say I never have and now fancy some proper road shoes
????
So am I right in thinking I need the 3 bolt type? But what colour( wiggle room). Is there a preference?
I also see there are a few different brands that aren’t interchangeable. Is it best to just stick to Shimano (a trusted brand)
Lastly am I right in thinking SPD-SL are right. Think these are the Shimano code tho not 100%
Any advice very welcome
JB

Soldato
GP4000S original front tyre and a GP4000S II on the back for the Rapha ride.

All cleaned up & inspected the front has a mark where the rubber has worn and there a couple of fluffy cord strands maybe caught on a rock but otherwise they are unmarked.

I’d like to say it’s my butterfly like stature and godlike pedalling style however I am moderately average and just lucky.

Associate
I'm still drawing a big blank finding a good fast summer Tubeless 30mm tyre which reviews like it'll last well enough for commuting & leisure riding. Ideally I want to go Schwalbe due to their 'TL easy' technology (so I won't need a compressor or shock pump to mount them) but the Pro One range tops out at 28mm, the G One Speed come in 30mm but have tread which looks like it's aimed at gravel/trails and not road so will be sluggish.

The Schwalbe G One Speed 30mm definitely aren't sluggish. I've not ridden them myself but my brother used them last year and they seemed to roll very well and didn't hold him back at all.

My brother was running G One tyres when I did this ride with him: https://www.strava.com/activities/1229807000

Do you definitely want 30mm? I'm currently running tubeless 28mm Maxxis Padrone TR tyres and they're very fast, last well and have great puncture protection. They're being used by the Canyon Eisberg team this year.

Soldato
So....
When I got my bike I decided to get mtb shoes and pedals. Mains because I also got pedals with a normal clip less side to ride in normal shoes should I want to
????
So am I right in thinking I need the 3 bolt type? But what colour( wiggle room). Is there a preference?
I also see there are a few different brands that aren’t interchangeable. Is it best to just stick to Shimano (a trusted brand)
Lastly am I right in thinking SPD-SL are right. Think these are the Shimano code tho not 100%
Any advice very welcome
JB

Yes - SPD-SL is the road clipless cleat type for Shimano. You don't necessarily have to go with Shimano. The other brands are all suitable and can be trusted. Look is probably second most popular and then some ride things like Speedplay (double sided pedals) and Time.

I moved from SPD to SPD-SL myself and find them fine for the most part. Clip in is slower as it's not double sided and obviously cleat wear is a lot quicker as their plastic and not recessed unlike SPD.

I couldn't comment on other brands as I've never tried.

Soldato
Trying to work out what size crank spindle I have on my P3C without removing it.

B.B. is a Sram GXP ceramic.

Cranks are Cervélo branded Rotor, the old really chunky crankarms.

I assume it is a 30mm spindle so any of the rotor inpower LHS cranks would fit, but I could be wrong and from memory it could be 24mm...

Soldato
Trying to work out what size crank spindle I have on my P3C without removing it.

I assume it is a 30mm spindle so any of the rotor inpower LHS cranks would fit, but I could be wrong and from memory it could be 24mm...

from looking here it seems you can tell whether they're 3D (24mm) or 3D+ (30mm) based on which side the preload cap is on

https://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/9463.aspx

Soldato
from looking here it seems you can tell whether they're 3D (24mm) or 3D+ (30mm) based on which side the preload cap is on

https://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/9463.aspx

That confirms that my R5 has 3D+ and my P3 3D.

I did think you could have 3D24 & 3D30 though.

More inspection is required, but with them being different I can’t just have one LHS rotor inpower crank arm and change between them.

Soldato

GXP is 24mm/22mm (24mm on drive side and 22mm on non drive side). IIRC SRAM only do GXP and BB30

Soldato
Riding in northern France / belgium - any tips? I’ve never really ridden abroad but hear good things about motorist behaviours over there

No tips per se. Riding in France is excellent. Mainly down to the fact that the roads are generally in a good condition, and that they have around the same number of cars but with over twice as much space! Just enjoy.

Soldato
By the final 'roubaix' shortcut most people had cried off them and were sticking to the roads but we were determined to do it partly spurred on by the "special prize" if you could prove via Strava etc. that you did all the optional bits. I must admit I was disappointed when I found out it was a free pint as you got a free pint when you finished anyway plus there was a girl just handing the cards out to everyone so I ended up with three free pint vouchers... but having to drive home :( There was also a can in the goodie bag to take home though. If you hadn't guessed it was sponsored by a local brewery :D
Good lads, that's the spirit! Gotta love beer as a prize! :D

To be fair of the 5-6 local sportives I've done two of the three best/most enjoyable ones where run by local breweries!

It doesn't look bad at all, no more than a 2-3mm split but the roads near me are quite grainy and far from smooth. Tyres were 30/32 Specialized Roubaix Pro, kept the front as it looks fine but I've cut the rear one, made two tyre boots from it and binned the rest of it.
I'm running the 25/28 Roubaix Pro's and had a ton of marks on mine but no cuts. I've hit all sorts of debris too so very surprised! Mitchelin Pro 4 Endurance 28mm where dead in around 2/3rd's the mileage. Smooth centre of mine is starting to crack up but I'm going to ride them over winter until they die (2nd winter pretty much complete!). Will buy same again, probably the 28/30 as I think they do the 3 sizes with the 30/32's being the largest. :cool:

So....
????
Any advice very welcome
JB
SPD is fine if you're still getting into riding/clipless and doing lots of stop-start commuting. If anything they're better than anything else - easy entry/exit, cheap & double sided. I know many commuters here use them.

The more road/race orientated from Shimano are SPD-SL. They're not compatible in the slightest with standard SPD - all they share is a name. Shoes for them are '3 bolt'. Look Keo and Time Epresso are also 3 bolt so 3 bolt shoes will fit any. Speedplay are double sided, but come with a different fitment again, although generally come with an adaptor plate which fits to 3 bolt shoes.

I went from SPD to SPD-SL and now ride Look Keo. I've found them better than SPD-SL - firmer fitment and better engagement. Cleats although they wear about the same as SPD-SL the engagement is better when well worn than SPD-SL. To me they're worth the slight price premium over SPD-SL. I also find the look pedals quicker/easier to 'flip' when riding, I hardly ever miss-clip. I used to regularly spin the SPD-SL pedals rather than flip, or miss clip the front and then be left with a 'shin egg' 3-4 pedal revolutions late when my shoe came flying out after putting the power down. Don't miss that at all! ;)

I’d like to say it’s my butterfly like stature and godlike pedalling style however I am moderately average and just lucky.
Incredibly lucky, buy a lottery ticket! :o

The Schwalbe G One Speed 30mm definitely aren't sluggish. I've not ridden them myself but my brother used them last year and they seemed to roll very well and didn't hold him back at all.

My brother was running G One tyres when I did this ride with him: https://www.strava.com/activities/1229807000

Do you definitely want 30mm? I'm currently running tubeless 28mm Maxxis Padrone TR tyres and they're very fast, last well and have great puncture protection. They're being used by the Canyon Eisberg team this year.
Thanks, maybe I need to seriously consider them. Ideally I was looking for a lighweight summer tubeless tyre. I've got lightweight rotors to fit for summer too!

Hadn't heard of the Maxxis Padrone but if Harry Tanfield rides them, that's good enough for me! Know they ride Hunt wheels too, does your brother work/ride for Hunt?

More inspection is required, but with them being different I can’t just have one LHS rotor inpower crank arm and change between them.
Doh! BB adaptor & change crankset?

Associate
Thanks, maybe I need to seriously consider them. Ideally I was looking for a lighweight summer tubeless tyre. I've got lightweight rotors to fit for summer too!

Hadn't heard of the Maxxis Padrone but if Harry Tanfield rides them, that's good enough for me! Know they ride Hunt wheels too, does your brother work/ride for Hunt?

The G One's are probably your best bet if you want 30mm. Personally I'd go for 28mm Maxxis Padrones, should be fast/light/comfy enough for you. As you say if they're good enough for Harry, they must be ok! Just a word of warning if you do go for them, they aren't the easiest tyres to seal on the rim, you might need a compressor or one of those pumps that lets you fire a blast of air.

My brother is on Hunt's development team, it's not a paid job, just gets to test things now and then. He's done a couple of races for Hunt like the Revolve 24 last year.

Soldato
Doh! BB adaptor & change crankset?

That’s what I thought?

Can’t I just fit a threaded cup with 30mm bearings rather than 24mm ones and then change the crankset to suit.

http://www.hopetech.com/product/bottom-bracket-30mm-threaded/

No good solution for power on both my bikes. Either crank or LH arm meter, Id need two of or change cranks.

Pedal based id have to get at least one set of new pedals and the vectors. Might be in the too expensive category for a while.

Associate
Lol
Always a long wait for delivery of new shiney stuff. What did you get?
Been looking at new bikes myself but won’t be buying this year

Soldato
I’ve just gone on Ribbles Bike builder and assembled a Carbon Gran Fondo with R8000, Deda 02 Bars & Stem, Carbon Seatpost, Fizik Saddle and Cosmic Elite UST wheels inc. delivery it’s just short of £1800. Is this a good bike for the money? I should point out my original budget for a new bike was £1500 but if I eat beans on toast for the rest of the year I might be able to afford it!!!

Back
Top Bottom