Road Cycling

Caporegime
I love my rc7/xc7. They are very stiff though so be aware. Not sure on the rp5s. Seem to be wearing well. Especially the xc7s as they're used for cx and mtb so occasionally chucked in the washing machine to get them cleaned up.

+1 I've got a pair of Shimano R321s and they're probably the best cycling shoes I've owned, would definitely buy Shimano again.

Cheers guys, just ordered a pair. Should be a lot better than the current pair.

Soldato
Might seem like an odd question here, been using baggy shorts and going to buy some bibs. Just how tight are they? I'm 6ft with a wait of 30', hip of 29' and chest of 31'. I can't find any shorts of said dimensions. Do buy for length since they will be tight or enough or time to start digging around in kids size shorts but i suspect they will be far too short.

You’d get in possibly a small but probably a medium depending on the brand.

I am 6’3” 32” waist and wear large in most pro fit stuff. I will get in a medium in the normal Rapha range.

Nice day for it today, started off feeling pretty meh as I didn’t ride Friday or Saturday which I usually do after Thursday night TT. Got into it and did 3 1/2 hrs, good I didn’t do any more as would have got sunburnt.

Associate
You’d get in possibly a small but probably a medium depending on the brand.

I am 6’3” 32” waist and wear large in most pro fit stuff. I will get in a medium in the normal Rapha range.

Yeah, got some medium castellis coming tomorrow as long as they fit well and not too short I will keep them. If not return and get the size I need.

Associate
Was I out of order a little here or is it poor service?

So, I arranged with my LBS to try a ML bike in the same range as one I was looking at buying to make sure I knew what size I needed. This was through their fb page. They didn’t have my exact size in stock.
Went down and explained to the guy who was free what I wanted and what was organised. He asked if I would be buying based on what I found out today to which I said yes( all true).

He brought said bike out without pedals and when I asked about a quick spin around the car park he said they can’t, they sell all bikes as brand new and didn’t want it going out of the shop. How the heck did he expect me to see if the size was correct without pedals!!!! I couldn’t even sit on it......

I handed the bike back to him, told him I was wasting my time here and walked out.

Now to me this was pee poor service but was I too expectant?

Soldato
does anyone have a decent resource on the effects on Q factor of different brands of pedals?

edit: it seems they're all the same to within a millimetre or two

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, got some medium castellis coming tomorrow as long as they fit well and not too short I will keep them. If not return and get the size I need.

yeah depending on your leg size the very bottom bits might be a bit loose. I'm 6", 33" waist and 71~kg, the mediums fit me pretty well but the shoulder straps are a bit tight when new. If you need to down size then you could try some shorts instead of bibs, not as comfy but no height issues. I use them on the turbo.

Soldato
does anyone have a decent resource on the effects on Q factor of different brands of pedals?

edit: it seems they're all the same to within a millimetre or two

I dont think pedals make much difference to Qfactor. There's enough adjustment in the cleat positioning of each system to allow you have your foot right up against the crank arm, so i'd guess its the position of the crank arm which will determine qfactor (so BB shell and crank rather than pedals)

Soldato
I dont think pedals make much difference to Qfactor. There's enough adjustment in the cleat positioning of each system to allow you have your foot right up against the crank arm, so i'd guess its the position of the crank arm which will determine qfactor (so BB shell and crank rather than pedals)

yup, that's what I've found. All road cranks and all road pedals are the same to within a few millimetres. Long story short, I've ordered some pedal spacers. MTB pedals are the same width as road ones near enough, but I think you can get "further out" on road shoes because of the more supportive cleat

Soldato
Normal service is now resumed (home & back at work!) :p

Although I'm in a bit of a dilemma about my riding/training. Basically there's a 100 mile ride this coming sunday and I'm so short on training I'm not sure it's a good idea... I've only done 200 miles in total this month (so far) with my longest ride being 50 miles 3 weeks ago. :o

I do have another 100 planned for the middle of July which is much more achievable. I had hoped to get out for 50/60 on the weekend but only had time for two 19 milers. :(

One for the aero weenies. Think I might be a bit out of my depth here though. :o

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/road/2018/Mens_time_trial_entry_list_2018.pdf
Awesome! Maybe you'll get on TV? How much are you charging for autographs? :D

Anyone ridden a De Rosa? Know what they're like?
They've sometimes looked well specced for the money and some great colours but not heard much about their frame designs...

Didn't get home from work in time for my clubs social ride, so went out on my own instead for a quick 50km. Otley looked lovely from the top of Askwith Moor. Managed to average 16.5mph somehow for the whole route which is fairly good for me!
s1pqovtl.jpg
*drool*

Looking good! :cool:

Might leave the coffee out though as I don't like it!
The door's over there... --------->

:p

Well the Lapierre Pulsium 600 FDJ is now race ready with some new carbon rims, tubeless tipping the scales at 8.8Kg with TT aero bars and 3 x water bottles. Time to get my ride on!
8.8kg with 3 full water bottles, or just cages? Pics! :)

Might seem like an odd question here, been using baggy shorts and going to buy some bibs. Just how tight are they? I'm 6ft with a wait of 30', hip of 29' and chest of 31'. I can't find any shorts of said dimensions. Do buy for length since they will be tight or enough or time to start digging around in kids size shorts but i suspect they will be far too short.
Don't worry about chest and maybe not so much hips when buying shorts, just waist and maybe leg.

Castelli medium will probably fit you best, although may be a little loose on your thighs. Small might fit too but the straps would probably be too tight on your shoulders. I wear a Castelli Large and I'm 31-32" waist, 5'8" ish. I can fit in a medium but the legs are just too tight on my thighs, although straps felt ok. I've got short legs so my torso is quite long so you might be ok. A Rapha medium fits me almost as well as a Large. Might be worth a look as they do some of their shorts in 'long' leg versions. :cool:

The Evoluzione 2 are good shorts, I have a pair. Although the straps are quite pronounced and strong, so if they where tight they would dig in quite a bit without that much stretch. In mine only part of the strap is mesh, in other shorts far more of the strap is mesh and more forgiving/stretchy.

Now to me this was pee poor service but was I too expectant?
Poor service. I'm not sure of any LBS which wouldn't let you ride a bike before you bought it. Certainly not one who deserved to be in business! Go elsewhere!

Edge 810
Edge 820
Edge 520 plus
Wahoo elemnt

Out of those 4 which would be the better one?
Depends on your use case. I'd say ELEMNT but I'm a Wahooligan.

Soldato
8.8kg with 3 full water bottles, or just cages? Pics! :)

Yep, 2 x 750ml bottles and cage and Profile Design Aero cage and bottle (2/3rds full)

Bike has just been lorry loaded for Austria this weekend but I'll be sure to post up when I get there later this week (and hopefully be reunited with said bike :D )

Associate

Although I'm in a bit of a dilemma about my riding/training. Basically there's a 100 mile ride this coming sunday and I'm so short on training I'm not sure it's a good idea... I've only done 200 miles in total this month (so far) with my longest ride being 50 miles 3 weeks ago. :o

I do have another 100 planned for the middle of July which is much more achievable. I had hoped to get out for 50/60 on the weekend but only had time for two 19 milers. :(

I take it that's the Wheelie Big sportive?

I've signed up for the 40 mile route with my Dad (his biggest ride to date). Would have liked to go a bit further, but I have the Velothon the week before!

Soldato
Although I'm in a bit of a dilemma about my riding/training. Basically there's a 100 mile ride this coming sunday and I'm so short on training I'm not sure it's a good idea...

You'll be fine. Do it. Just think of all the people with less fitness than yourself that successfully get round the RideLondon 100.

Soldato

Welcome back to planet reality, where for a change, this thread didn't completely die in your absence. ;)

My poor advice would be a moderate pace 50-miler (like my two 60+ over this last weekend) either tonight or tomorrow, with a moderate 25-miler on Thurs/Fri evening.

Soldato
Yep, 2 x 750ml bottles and cage and Profile Design Aero cage and bottle (2/3rds full)
Have a good trip, weight it without bottles & water in the cages next time! ;)

I take it that's the Wheelie Big sportive?

I've signed up for the 40 mile route with my Dad (his biggest ride to date). Would have liked to go a bit further, but I have the Velothon the week before!
Yeah the Wheelie big, you'll enjoy it! It's well run and there's hundreds of riders mostly non-serious and a huge majority ride it for charity so great atmosphere. The social group I usually ride with are mostly chickening out and doing the 70 miler, but for me it's one of the only 'organised' chances of doing a 100 this year! :o

You'll be fine. Do it. Just think of all the people with less fitness than yourself that successfully get round the RideLondon 100.
if you can ride 50 comfortably you can ride 100. You might be a drained out mess at the end, but you'll get there.
I think you've pretty much summed it up, to be fair my fitness is probably ok to 'survive it', just without many long rides in the saddle recently that's what I know is going to hurt the most! :o

Welcome back to planet reality, where for a change, this thread didn't completely die in your absence. ;)

My poor advice would be a moderate pace 50-miler (like my two 60+ over this last weekend) either tonight or tomorrow, with a moderate 25-miler on Thurs/Fri evening.
Shame, here was me thinking you guys would miss me and that I was more important than that! ;)

I won't have time for more than 1hr/1.5hr's max on the turbo tonight or tomorrow and then nothing for the rest of the week. Just no time to ride & still sleep/work/eat/family!

I'm finding it very hard to sacrifice any of the 1.5 hours I have most nights with my little one after work (sometimes less than an hour), so that generally puts me at riding Zwift directly after dinner at 7.30pm to finish by 9pm so I have enough time to unwind/recover before bed... The pressures of family life - balancing a relationship, a baby, work and cycling. Over the past few years I've had to pretty much give up all my other hobbies just to have enough time for riding... Now there's barely enough time to even maintain a small amount of fitness! #violins :(

TLDR; don't have a baby if you want to ride 6h+ a week! :rolleyes:

Soldato
My babies are gown up now (13 yrs and 8 yrs) - and big time into their cycling - so I'm finding my cycling time has increased far beyond what it would have been without kids.

But yes when my youngest was a baby/toddler cycling time for me was very limited, but it gets better as time goes on, it definitely gets better.

Soldato
Yeah I realise that and did before he arrived with the other half home on maternity there where so many 'things' she found to do before he arrived that ate into my cycling time. I think for me it's now a choice to make where I'm not choosing him. Which is hard!

It was kinda 'easy' to give up some baby time when he was really small and napping/pooping/eating (repeating) but now he's more fun, into everything, noisy and always up to something I'm finding it really hard!

He's 9 months old this week, I cannot fathom how quick that time has gone by. Yet to think he's (pretty much) crawling, has 6 teeth, is close to his first word(s) and strong enough to stand (aided). It's amazing the progress! In that time I've still not finished painting both the bathroom's... :D :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom