Road Cycling

Soldato
What Gillet's can people recommend ? After a packable one which is windproof more than anything. Also what are warmest/best Gloves and socks? Doing the usual buying clothes off season thing .
Do you mean really lightweight for summer use? I've got a DHP Whisp (can't find the current iteration/name) for very basic light windproofing. Would carry it in 20 degree+ kinda temps. Very light and super packable (could cram it into a finger of a glove!). If you're after something more protective (for lower temps, colder winds and shower proof) you're looking at something heavier. If I 'needed' a gilet I'd wear something more substantial, if I was carrying one 'just in case' I needed an extra layer, then that's it (although to be honest I carry a packable rain cape instead). If I'm riding early and need something to keep the chill off I wear one of the below.

I've got a couple of Castelli club gilets and they are perfect from say 5/6 degrees (over thermal jerseys) up till mid-20's (over summer jersey). Very breathable back with windproof front. Will roll up into a standard jersey pocket easily enough with some space to spare. They're basically the Castelli Pro Light Wind vest.

For commuting and cooler weather I've got a Castelli 'Fawesome' vest and a Perfetto vest (basically both sleeveless Gabba), I'll wear these in temps below zero with a winter windproof jersey, up till temps around 20 degrees with just a summer jersey. Wore one this morning (22 degrees) and it was only slightly too warm. Although I do tend to prefer to run slightly warm (short commute), rather than cold - I won't wear it for my lunchtime or commute home. I've got a fluo yellow one and wear it to make me more visible early mornings (as I ride East). Also wear with water resistant arm warmers in warm spring/summer/autumn showers, rather than a rain cape as I stay cooler (avoids boil in the bag). You can get them rolled into a jersey pocket but not much space for anything else.

I think from what you're describing you're after the middle one.

Winter socks I'm still using PlanetX Thicky but I don't really suffer with cold feet and tend to live in overshoes. I'll wear them September/October through till May. My winter glove is the Sportful Sotto Zero, but I'd say the Fiandre is a better winter glove due to more waterproofing. Temps below -10 (or windchill going that low) I'd look at wearing a liner with it. Winter before last I had ice form on the outside of them (while my hands where bearable) but my thumbs where too exposed and suffered due to the -10 windchill. More spring/autumn I'm wearing Sportful Essential Windstopper.

Help help I need ocuk advice.

I've cycling London to Cambridge on Sunday and I've just cleaned my bike to discover the rear wheel sounds like a washing machine with bricks in it. I changed the cassette last week from a compact to a 11-32 as well.
Hope you got it all sorted!? Did you notice anything when changing cassette? Loose freehub or any noise? Just thinking when you cleaned you may have washed out much of the lube/oil/grease from the freehub?

I don't want to disappoint.... so...

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
@Roady chickened out of riding his 100 mile sportive and took the short option...
Excuses included: no one else turning up (yet somehow riding mostly solo), limited water supplies and heat, heavy workshop-saddle-bag.

:D
Haha, ok I'll hold my hand up and take whatever abuse comes my way! But I dispute the 'short', it was technically the 2nd longest of 5 routes! :p

https://www.strava.com/activities/1674319049

The 3-4 others I was going to ride with all dropping out the closer we got (Useless! Several of them rode on saturday instead), I ended up riding solo (catching and riding briefly with various others).

I rode the first loop quite hard, knew I had a goal on 'God Almighty' and the legs where feeling good so pushed on to get as many miles done before the temperatures rocketed. I think the real lack of training leading up to it (rode a total of 255 miles in June, 130 of it commuting and only 50 of it real 'training') was on my mind so although I rode tempo I wasn't overly emptying myself on the flats/descents. I must've passed 20-30 riders on this part alone. All of them far too slow to ride with, so I remained solo. I knew by the 40 mile point I hadn't got over double that in me, so I took the 'easier' option and rode the second half of the 70 quite reserved. The heat was oppressive, starting at 9:30 was possibly a bit late, but I was thankfully finishing up at 2-ish just as the wind was getting warmer and the temperatures ventured over 32+ degrees. I spent the last 15 miles looking for a water station, to draw a complete blank! The last station at the 55 mile point I had just over a bottle left (had been 7-8 stops regularly before then) so I carried on expecting more. Bad mistake! Rode the last 10 miles dehydrated so called in home to grab some as I passed before finishing (and for a couple of guys I rode a few miles with earlier). BBQ & a chillout in the sun afterwards was supremely good! The other half even brought mini^me down to meet me! :D

I'm not even going there about my saddle bag, as I'm now using a 'micro' one and have done for a year! :p

First ride on the new bike today. We are going to have a lot of fun times together :o

HywC68m.png
Looks awesome! If it rides half as good as it looks... ? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I knew by the 40 mile point I hadn't got over double that in me, so I took the 'short' option and rode the second half of the 70 quite reserved.
Fixed.
I'm not even going there about my saddle bag, as I'm now using a 'micro' one and have done for a year! :p
I'm going to assume this is because the workshop fits into the SWAT box? :D

(I realise there's no chance of that... I played with one the other week and it's pretty hard to even fit a 28c inner tube inside)

Soldato
So mean! Short-er option! :p

Yeah, 1* 25-28mm tube, co2, valve and a couple of pairs of latex gloves is about it's max. Maybe some interesting folding you might get 2 tubes in there without the co2.

Saddlebag is another tube, levers, multitool, pliers, latex gloves & a few bits. Frame mounted combo pump. Have been known to cram arm warmers in the SWAT box too.

Soldato
I'm surprised you can even get that much in there. The frame I was playing with was a 47 or 50cm Specialized Ruby. I wonder if they do different size SWAT boxes.

Soldato
Family gathering up in Yorkshire last weekend, so went out for 75 miles through the Dales on Saturday. Fabulous riding, if a little hot so got through a few bidons.

Having watched the pro's grind up Park Rash in the Tour de Yorkshire this year, I can confirm it's just plain nasty at the bottom.

https://veloviewer.com/segments/6687990

You have to take the first hairpin from totally the wrong side of the road but still end up fighting to keep the front end down.

{Edit}

There's a good picture of the inside of the hairpin on this page.

https://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/park-rash/

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
Hope you got it all sorted!? Did you notice anything when changing cassette? Loose freehub or any noise? Just thinking when you cleaned you may have washed out much of the lube/oil/grease from the freehub?

Specialized have agreed to replace the rear bearings FOC so I rode it for the 100k, it wasn't particularly quiet however I was riding with a couple of guys with carbon wheels so I felt okay making odd noises whilst riding. I might wait till winter and have a look at a new set ready for next year, hopefully with some winter discounts.

Soldato
There's a good picture of the inside of the hairpin on this page.

https://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/park-rash/
Looks brutal but good fun when there's hairpins like that! :D

Specialized have agreed to replace the rear bearings FOC so I rode it for the 100k, it wasn't particularly quiet however I was riding with a couple of guys with carbon wheels so I felt okay making odd noises whilst riding. I might wait till winter and have a look at a new set ready for next year, hopefully with some winter discounts.
Good result from Specialized! Glad it didn't cause you any major issues and you where able to complete your ride! :)

More and more disc:road wheelset options all the time, it seems to be a booming market at the moment so in the Autumn we should see lots of price slashes in preparation for 2019 stock! Hopefully! :D

Soldato
Sometimes you try your best to be a good boy and keep cycling.

Got to the meeting point and went for a pee, came back with a branch stuck in the tyre, pulled it out and it started hissing away :(

Let all the groups go, fitted a short valve tube in the hope the co2 would thread on - it wouldn't.

Half arsedly tried to patch it, pumped it up way too early and it was hissing away.

Had to go seek out a spare tube, got two coronas, met the guys at the finish to pedal home.

Worth it.

Associate
In need of some buying advice. I currently ride a cyclocross frame with shimano deoreXT gears as my road bike its heavy, too small but does have beautiful bar end shifters. I've got a summer job and planning to spend around £1000 on a new bike.

My view is try get a shimano 105 bike such as Specialized Allez Elite or a Canyon AL 7.0. But if I earn enough maybe a Canyon CF 7.0. Thought of going for 105 is because its pretty similar to top end groupsets unlike tiagra or sora, meaning that I can then spend extra money on say tyres wheels etc and leave drivetrain since it will do.

Soldato
My view is try get a shimano 105 bike such as Specialized Allez Elite or a Canyon AL 7.0. But if I earn enough maybe a Canyon CF 7.0. Thought of going for 105 is because its pretty similar to top end groupsets unlike tiagra or sora, meaning that I can then spend extra money on say tyres wheels etc and leave drivetrain since it will do.

105 is all anyone really needs. I don't see any point spending more unless you want di2 or you're a tart*

*which is of course entirely acceptable.....

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom