Road Cycling

Soldato
Anyone else do the Velothon over the weekend? I know @Liefrich did! Brutal hot conditions, several of the WBR team I ride with on Zwift where there (23 riders in total) and some of them managed to get themselves in the front group. They where one of the teams pushing the pace, Frazer and Liam even 'breaking away' from the peloton near Usk and riding a 2UP off the front for over 20 miles. Liam finishing 9th overall! Amazing riding, 87 miles with nearly 5000ft of climbing in under 4 hours. If I decide to ride it with them next year I'll be taking it much easier! :cool:

Hopefully some of you will remember my efforts over the past couple of years - I'm very much a fair weather cyclist who won't even consider going out if there's inclement weather forecast.
Good work and well done! Keep it up, obviously being a fair weather cyclist means you've ridden every day for the last 2 months or more? ;)

which typically means water consumption rate is much higher!
Yup, utterly roasting in that warm wind which comes in the afternoons. Even taking my 2.4 mile commute easy I've been carrying water for a quick mouthful. Weirdly riding the same commute both directions at lunchtime I've not felt like I needed one!? The heat suits me better than I previously thought, providing the wind is slightly cooling. Really don't like it when the wind is warm!

Must admit, even a lad from the coalfields was feeling the warmth today.
Was hot when I headed out, was glad I did it in the morning! Knew I was low on mileage for the week so put a bit of an effort into a loop as I only had an hour and a half to spare.

And I sweat. A lot.
Same! Utterly melt when the air is warm, but have not struggled with cramp like previous years in the heat, so drinking more regularly rather than huge mouthfuls is working well for me. Still 4 bottles and getting dehydrated in the 75 miler 2 weekends ago is making me plan for 6 bottles at least on the 100 this weekend. Hopefully the weather will be a bit cooler!

Somehow Frazer at the Velothon only drank 1 bottle?! WTF! :o

once upon a time I ended up using two 6-foot lengths of scaffold bar, one over the socket wrench and one over the crank.....
Wow! :eek:

I use a box of catalogues in work.

Left hand pedal flat against it horizontally so any force down on the bolt will make the left hand crank want to go somewhere it cant and it keeps the bike on the ground too.
Yup, my trick before was to put the bike in the turbo trainer rather than a stand as it was more stable, then like you, use gravity. Wearing solid footwear (workboots) one foot on one pedal and then jump my weight onto a long (12") socket wrench. I'd hurt myself previously with trainers trying to do the same thing and would probably advise doing it with wellies or something on as I ended up with a massive bruise on my calf.

Good time to ask this question of you & @Saytan ... I may have asked it before, but any real need to tighten crank arms as tight as they say? Think mine are labelled as 22nM and none of my torque wrenches go that far, so I've always done mine 'man tight' with an 8" long allen key with a 'multi fit screwdriver' on the end (making it around 12"). I've never had one loosen and it takes effort to undo, but doesn't end up hurting me or bending anything (wrecked 2 allen keys trying to get the previous hybrid one undone which I had to jump on). :)

On another note did anyone see this on road.cc? Crazy but pretty cool. Good to see people still thinking outside the box.

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/24...fficient-13-spd-chainless-drive-shaft-concept
Hardly outside the box, but takes quite an old concept, updates it and executes it very well. 13 speed! :o

@SoliD I got a pic of mine for you:

tpp8DTK.jpg

Excuse the dirt! :p
Is that a ding in your rim or just the Mavic label peeling? :o

Also rim & tyre labels not lined up, pffft! Have you no dignity! ;)

Soldato
Good time to ask this question of you & @Saytan ... I may have asked it before, but any real need to tighten crank arms as tight as they say? Think mine are labelled as 22nM and none of my torque wrenches go that far, so I've always done mine 'man tight' with an 8" long allen key with a 'multi fit screwdriver' on the end (making it around 12"). I've never had one loosen and it takes effort to undo, but doesn't end up hurting me or bending anything (wrecked 2 allen keys trying to get the previous hybrid one undone which I had to jump on). :)

Tight's tight as my old granddad used to say. It isn't something I give a lot of thought, save when clamping stuff to expensive thin-walled or carbon tubes.

Soldato
Had a bit of an effort on a segment at lunchtime. The stars aligned with a slight cross-tailwind and a bus. Leading out of the slip road he didn't accelerate too quickly and I was able to keep with him getting a good tow up to around 25-26 mph, he continued to accelerate so I kicked harder to keep with him but he soon dropped me. Continued the effort but I'd blown myself too much (also being barely warmed up) to keep the power up. A little disappointed with the power figures but know I've not done much sustained high power efforts or sprints recently. Still a PR by 4 seconds and 4 seconds slower than the KOM.

The segment leaderboard is a 'who's who' of ex NFTO club riders and friends who rode with them so it's good to see my name alongside! Also a segment I've ridden nearly 800 times! :D

@Roady just a label, fear not! And yes, I am a bad person for not lining up the logos :p
Haha, I wanted to check! Thought maybe the glossy look in your eyes and drool from the OSJW where maybe distracting you from it ;)

Tight's tight as my old granddad used to say. It isn't something I give a lot of thought, save when clamping stuff to expensive thin-walled or carbon tubes.
Yeah that's what I've been telling myself - the fact I've always done the 3-4 I've owned a similar tightness and never had one come loose, that it's tight enough! Although after a couple of rounded bolts I've had & some carbon bits anything lower than 10nM I do torque correctly.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm absolutely LOVING this weather - popped out yesterday for a 40 miler:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1691390616

Was absolutely the most enjoyable ride I've had in ages - nice profile, sunny, clear, the slightest bit of breeze to keep body/head temperatures down, hardly any traffic (mid afternoon), courteous and patient drivers/trucks/vans, fuelled right, felt strong, mobile didn't ring once the whole ride, no cramp, no arse/neck/wrist/shoulder aches. It was utter heaven. :cool: :)

We're all going to be well depressed when we default back to our usual British weather.

Soldato
Think I'm going to get changed and pop out, noticeably cooler and breezier than yesterday morning's almost completely sedentary ~75 miler ride, besides one complete and one part cat4 hill. Would have gone out this morning, but as always happens if I'm off work when we happen to swap BB providers, I somehow feel the need to stay in until the new BB is active!

Don
Result - borrowed a couple of 2ft lengths of pipe from work. One was big enough to slip over opposite crank arm, so used that to brace against the ground, and then used the other for leverage on my ratchet handle - almost no effort and it cracked free :)

Crank arms off no problem - gave it all a clean up, new crank arms on. Fitted new tyre to rear wheel and put that back in place, then got the new chain shortened and fitted no problem.

Just need to do a quick adjustment to the gears tomorrow as not 100% (although to be fair they probably weren't beforehand) - chain is slipping off the smallest chainring, but rubbing slightly on the biggest (maybe all the dirt and grime that I removed has allowed it a bit more freedom?)

Soldato
New chainset may be designed around a shorter bottom bracket?

Certainly Shimano Tourney square tapers require a 122.5mm spinder for proper chainline.

Sound as though your new cranks sit further out than the old ones so you'll need to screw the Low screw in and take the High screw out to allow the mech to move within the new range required for the chainset.

You can get away with a few mm either way and it's something I'm going to have fun with shortly as I'm removing a FAG BB with a 130mm spindle and going to see how a 127mm Shimano fits. I don't think it's going to be as easy as I hope it will be.

Don
New chainset may be designed around a shorter bottom bracket?

It's the exact same chainset as before (Shimano Claris FC-2303). Both sides tightened up as tight as I dared with just the ratchet handle (didn't use pipe extension to tighten), but I don't have a torque wrench.

Will double check everything with fresh eyes tomorrow night, and if nothing obvious then I'll adjust the limit screws.

Soldato
Could well be the gears weren't set right before or you haven't caught the proper spline limiting how far it pulled on.

Not sure if you can miss a spline on octalink road and road mix but using a MTB octalink and road chainset leads to 'issues'.

Don
Could well be the gears weren't set right before or you haven't caught the proper spline limiting how far it pulled on.

Not sure if you can miss a spline on octalink road and road mix but using a MTB octalink and road chainset leads to 'issues'.

No splines involved (unless I'm missing something obvious) It's a square taper BB - drive side went on easily and flush, left side there is a small gap (but again fairly sure it was there before).

Soldato
@Jonny ///M (or anyone else who works/worked in a bike shop), have any experience of fitting a kids 'trailer' to a rear thru axle? Have a couple of concerns/observations - all the extra axles look like they fit through to give a hitch on the right hand side of the bike. Most of the bike trailers attach to the left hand side of the bike. So on my thru axle the threaded side of the axle which threads into the frame (no threads on frame right hand side so can't just reverse it), needs the hitch attaching (after fitting through the wheel)?

My current thinking is to use a Tacx trainer adaptor I have (as it's much longer/wider than my frame) and get a locking nut for the end so the adaptor had no chance of undoing.

Additionally. Stresses to a thru axle from the rear trailer to a carbon frame (my 2016 Diverge). Anything to worry about? I mean the frame is beefed up for disc brake forces (exerted through the caliper) and for gravel riding (shocks through the axle), but not necesserily to stresses from the outside of the axle 'pulling' back on the rear triangle? Am I over thinking it? Just 12kg+ baby with 8-10kg of trailer and cargo is quite a bit of additional weight on the rear thru axle...

Soldato
That first link shows the new thread being located on the left of the bike to me?

Your Tacx idea looks like the same basic principle as that first link so I'd try that.

I'd not be overly worried about the forces as the forces going through there under a sprint or heavy braking are probably higher. The Halfords images show the trailer held by a QR skewer which is much weaker and more likely to come loose than a thru axle.

Soldato
Thanks. You're right, I totally confused myself into thinking the thru axle screwed in the other side! Doh! :D

Had a good chase back to work, dropping down from Credenhill I can see 2 guys off in front, so with my legs feeling good the last couple of days I opened them up. I've been meaning to get some sustained power efforts in so this was a good excuse! Took me a mile and a half to close down the 1/4 mile or so they had on me, surprising how much effort and time it took! First guy was on an easy one back to town, probably doing 21/22mph, guy in front of him was a youngster, shirtless and helmetless riding none handed at probably 25/26mph. Impressive but crazy fool! So dropped him too...! ;)

The effort fitted nicely into a segment so feels good to get a joint 3rd overall on that! KOM'd 3 private segments so pleased with the effort/result and where my legs are atm :D

~300W for 1.5 miles & 27mph avg. :cool:

Last edited:
Don
Will double check everything with fresh eyes tomorrow night, and if nothing obvious then I'll adjust the limit screws.
Adjust your limit screws and you'll be fine.

Checked everything over and all looked ok, started adjusting limit screws.... loud ping.

Outer gear cable has completely disintegrated and inner has turned into a mass of wire.

Replacements and Park tools cutter ordered - more expense :(

Soldato
Ooooh, well at least it went while at home and not when you're 30 miles away! If the outer disintegrated then it was well overdue changing - check the rest of it/replace! :)

Wet stuff from the sky this morning, wtf is that about. #wetarse :D

Got inspired by your signature (sat on hold calling BT)...

Voodoo2>Voodoo4500>GF2MX>GF4ti4200>X1800xt>4870>7950>2*7970
486DX4>P2-333>P2-450>A-700>A-1000>A-1200>A-2000>P4 2.4>P4 3.4>Q6600>i7-2700K

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom